• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Proposed CrossCountry December 2017 timetable change consultation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Confused147

I wonder if confused174 was referring to the 1825 Plymouth to Birmingham New Street, which at least some of the time goes on to form the 2231 Birmingham New Street to Manchester Piccadilly.

And yes but if the arrival from Plymouth is delayed considerably isnt the 2231 formed off a different train?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LowLevel

Established Member
As my Guard tonight said, the railway has a duty of care and will not abandon people. If there is no later train, alternative arrangements will be made.

It is not the case that people will be stuck.

Stuck is the wrong word but wary of significant delay/potential long distance taxi moves is absolutely fair.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
And why doesn't it make sense? Suppose I travel from Manchester to Reading and decide to travel home on the 2027 to New Street and hope my train arrives on time (2200) in time for the 2204 Reading. That gives me 4 minutes or maybe less to make a rush between platforms. But if my train from Manchester is delayed severely then haven't I missed my Reading train?, and therefore shouldn't I consider myself stranded?

4 minutes is not a valid connection at Birmingham. You need to allow at least 12. If you have, no fear you will have alternative arrangements made for you. 4 minutes is never going to happen at New Street. Last train or not.

Established Member
I was thinking of the Plymouth arrival which arrives at 2204.

And why doesn't it make sense? Suppose I travel from Manchester to Reading and decide to travel home on the 2027 to New Street and hope my train arrives on time (2200) in time for the 2204 Reading. That gives me 4 minutes or maybe less to make a rush between platforms. But if my train from Manchester is delayed severely then haven't I missed my Reading train?, and therefore shouldn't I consider myself stranded?
It's a moot point as no one will be making connection anyway.

pt_mad

Established Member
Back on topic, so it appears the proposed XC timetable change hasn't come to fruition for May.

The South West services are still booked to run to Plymouth rather than Exeter. And Bath Spa, Dundee etc are still being served.

Also any additional Birmingham Cambridge services seem to have been put on the back burner.

Any ideas on whether the plans will ever happen in this franchise now?

pt_mad

Established Member
The times will be released to the public via journey planners etc in a matter of about 3 weeks.

Obviously they are going to be on industry systems before that.

All times are now showing in real-time trains and open train times. And a separate thread is now discussing published May timetable changes in general.

Last edited:

pt_mad

Established Member
Makes us wonder whether it will ever happen now as doesn't the franchise end in December 2019?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I doubt the franchise end date is an issue because DfT likely want this to happen as a prerequisite to the next franchise.

Established Member
Have heard that they couldn't do it for May as they could not change the crew links around again until December.

DenmarkRail

Does anyone know why XC run Penzance to Manchester, but not Manchester to Penzance? Was this cut in the new timetable?

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Does anyone know why XC run Penzance to Manchester, but not Manchester to Penzance? Was this cut in the new timetable?

It has been like that for quite a few years now. The current PNZ-MAN used to go to Scotland (via West coast) but when XC stopped that, this sole train survived, but the other way round was lost. I guess it is just to do with balancing trains, XC have nothing out of cornwall in an afternoon to match one that would go in.

CptCharlee

Cross-country will still operate to Plymouth. I read somewhere all trains west of Exeter would cease to operate. I find that tad worrying if true.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Cross-country will still operate to Plymouth. I read somewhere all trains west of Exeter would cease to operate. I find that tad worrying if true.

I thought it was just the Manchester trains they were sending to Exeter? They currently go to either Paignton or Bristol, but would all go to Exeter instead. I thought the North East ones stayed going to Plymouth.

SprinterMan

Established Member
I thought it was just the Manchester trains they were sending to Exeter? They currently go to either Paignton or Bristol, but would all go to Exeter instead. I thought the North East ones stayed going to Plymouth.

This is correct

83G/84D

Established Member
I understand all times are in TOPS now, without the major changes. Few minutes here and there on some services.

May 2018 timetable has be on TRUST for several months but may well receive some tweaks between now and then. For example all GWR HSS services to and from Devon and Cornwall are shown as HST.

This is unlikely to be the case at least for the duration of the summer timetable.

I heard that the HST designation will be changed once it is established what services will be worked by IET.

83G/84D

Established Member

There may be some changes to Cross Country workings west of Exeter at a later date depending on the status of Laira depot when the IET’s are in regular use. Depending on who you talk to on GWR, Laira will close altogether or have a much reduced workload and staff complement.

I doubt that total closure would happen -anyone else heard anything?

DenmarkRail

There may be some changes to Cross Country workings west of Exeter at a later date depending on the status of Laira depot when the IET’s are in regular use. Depending on who you talk to on GWR, Laira will close altogether or have a much reduced workload and staff complement.

I doubt that total closure would happen -anyone else heard anything?

If Laira closed, what could replace the workload? The only real other option is move it down to Long Rock, which would add time onto services, and screw up the timetables, or stop / start all the later / earlier services further up the line?

Class 170101

Established Member
Probably an operational stop but someone has forgotten to make it undvertised so it doesn't appear on Passenger Information screens.

Class 170101

Established Member
One of the many shortcomings of Network Rail's Train Planning System.

Not entirely convinced about that. The planners who amend the schedule in the first place should be able to put it in correctly at their end to ensure that ITPS doesn't need anything doing to the schedule at the NR end.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Hemsworth, or at least its Tiploc, appeared as a calling point on station CIS screens and open data websites when one of XC's services was booked in there a few Sundays ago, though it was correctly omitted from NRE and the Voyager's internal systems. It also happens very occasionally elsewhere of the national network too.

(For those of you who don't read your Baker atlas every night before bed, Hemsworth is a loop between Sheffield / Doncaster and Wakefield!)

jhy44

If the majority of changes have now been postponed; does anyone know if the proposed withdrawal of Bromsgrove stops on the Nottingham-Cardiff once the Longbridge electrics are extended there this May/Dec will still go ahead independent of the rest of the changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.