• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Proposed 'West Wales Parkway' Station Could Conflict With Swansea Metro Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Modron

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/plan-20m-railway-station-near-15787162
Secretary of State for Wales Alun Cairns wants a new train station to be built north of Swansea, slashing journey times between east and west Wales.

Mr Cairns is visiting Swansea on February 7 to talk to AMs and councillors about the West Wales Parkway proposal.

The Welsh Conservative MP said he was committed in principle to delivering the £20 million station, which he said would be built mainly on Network Rail-owned land at Felindre, near junction 46 of the M4.

Swansea Council leader Rob Stewart said he could only support the plan if it did not reduce the frequency of services to the city's High Street station and was part of more comprehensive transport investment in Swansea and the surrounding area....
Personally, I favour Professor Barry's Metro plans - especially if it means bringing Trams back to The Mumbles some time in the not too distant future.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Obviously "Felindre" could be part of a staged (and much needed / welcomed) upgrade to West Wales / Swansea North / Swansea Valley upgrade to connectivity from West Wales to Cardiff and beyond. Much debated already - where there is a decent and much underused 2 track railway , paralleling the M4 - the latter of course having been in existence for many years. The reality is that there is a reasonable number of long distance car commuting on the motorway already , which the present rail service can not hope to compete with. I can think of a few people I know who already drive from places like Llandeilo / Ammanford to Central Cardiff. In all weathers and daily. ....

The devil ,as ever, will be in the detail , (already much discussed on these pages) - there is scope for an incremental approach , with options for looking at the best options for a Swansea Bay "metro" type upgrade to be developed over time. Subject of course to the usual caveats on funding and support.

To rattle on about "this is the end of the idea of the Mumbles Tram coming back" , is not the right answer. That could come back in some form , subject to the above comments and to it doing something like Mumbles to Neath or beyond via Jersey Marine - maybe using some road infrastructure.

One lives in hope anyway. Incremental stages. Hard analysis of present and future markets.

ancientsolar

Swansea bay should itself be more developed for tourism, The South Wales coast is beautiful in places but doesn't really have a "hot spot" for visitors, like that of Weston Super Mare.. or Brighton,, or even Llandudno.

A tram line connecting Swansea Bay Railway Station/Port tennant - to Swansea high Street - to the quadrant and may'be periodically further west would be great.

Swansea Bay Station could be the terminus for one of the District line services. and there are other lines which could be used as they are without new development ( other than renewals and signalling etc) sure another SDL service could go to Cardiff .. perhaps express from heart of Wales line.. or and Carmarthen.

the problem is.. there aren't many paths available between Cardiff and Bridgend to allow more services coming from Swansea.. .. and there are several Stations wanted between those 2 locations too .. Which ideally brings me to the point .. that Cardiff- Bridgend should be 3 or 4 tracked ... some parts
how many trains I wonder without looking it up on that section.
from Bridgend Eastwood > hourly services
Maesteg
Swansea - L Padd
Carmarthen - Manchester

2 hourly Swan line service
some parts of the SWA-PAD services are half hourly..
a couple of services from Fishguard.
and a whole bunch of steel freight which passes through Bridgend + other freight.
There are also a few Bridgend services from Cardiff +
There is desperation for a half hourly service from Maesteg.

i

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
The Greater Swansea area really has not pushed hard for rail improvements - the investment since the Port Talbot resignalling (1971 ?) has been flat , apart from the redoubling of the route around Goweton. Time for some intervention certainly. But gradually.

The latest change of operator has seen very little really for Wales's second city.

Modron

Swansea bay should itself be more developed for tourism, The South Wales coast is beautiful in places but doesn't really have a "hot spot" for visitors, like that of Weston Super Mare.. or Brighton,, or even Llandudno.

A tram line connecting Swansea Bay Railway Station/Port tennant - to Swansea high Street - to the quadrant and may'be periodically further west would be great.

Swansea Bay Station could be the terminus for one of the District line services. and there are other lines which could be used as they are without new development ( other than renewals and signalling etc) sure another SDL service could go to Cardiff .. perhaps express from heart of Wales line.. or and Carmarthen.

the problem is.. there aren't many paths available between Cardiff and Bridgend to allow more services coming from Swansea.. .. and there are several Stations wanted between those 2 locations too .. Which ideally brings me to the point .. that Cardiff- Bridgend should be 3 or 4 tracked ... some parts
from Bridgend Eastwood > hourly services
Maesteg
Swansea - L Padd
Carmarthen - Manchester

2 hourly Swan line service
some parts of the SWA-PAD services are half hourly..
a couple of services from Fishguard.
and a whole bunch of steel freight which passes through Bridgend + other freight.
There are also a few Bridgend services from Cardiff +
There is desperation for a half hourly service from Maesteg.

i

Potentially, you could make it three tracks from Bridgend to Pencoed (although you may partially lose use of the loop there) but Pencoed, Llanharan and Pontyclun stations would need re-modelling and bridges possibly widened etc.

I kind of agree with a half-hourly to Maesteg, but it may mean that Maesteg trains then depart from the currently unused Platform 3 and run as a shuttle to Bridgend rather than as a through service to Ebbw Vale Town/Gloucester/Cheltenham Spa unless Cheltenham Spa/Gloucester services then terminate in the bay platform at Bridgend?

You could try and run more trains over the VOG line, but that line also has a limit to capacity as well - also, don't forget the freight movements!

My concern (and if you see my 'Ideas From Modron' post) is more the lack of space on trains into Cardiff Central first thing in the morning.

kieron

Established Member
I can think of a few people I know who already drive from places like Llandeilo / Ammanford to Central Cardiff. In all weathers and daily. ....
This may be a silly question, but what would a "Felindre" station bring these people? If they'd like to leave the motorway somewhere and then catch a train, Llansamlet's not much further. If they want a faster journey from Llanelli or somewhere then an extra station on the route would just cost a fortune and slow their journeys down.

I didn't see any mention of funding in the article, so I suspect this matters about as much as David Jones's enthusiasm for electrifying the line across North Wales.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
This may be a silly question, but what would a "Felindre" station bring these people? If they'd like to leave the motorway somewhere and then catch a train, Llansamlet's not much further. If they want a faster journey from Llanelli or somewhere then an extra station on the route would just cost a fortune and slow their journeys down.

I didn't see any mention of funding in the article, so I suspect this matters about as much as David Jones's enthusiasm for electrifying the line across North Wales.

The Swansea District line effectively parallels the M4 from Pont Abraham (the start or end of it) , till the Port Talbot / Briton Ferry area. It has a very poor reliability and safety record - reports of delays and mishaps most days. A stressful journey.

Coming from West Swansea or "Carmarthenshire" , you are not likely to leave your car to get an infrequent and stopping service from Llansamlet - especially as you have then thrown away any advantage in schlepping onto a local road and joining the "indirect" railway from Swansea to Neath and beyond. Getting onto a 175 or similar at a Parkway with a limited stop service to Cardiff or beyond is a much better deal.

As for funding - well we know.....best look down the back of the sofa ....:D

kieron

Established Member
Coming from West Swansea or "Carmarthenshire" , you are not likely to leave your car to get an infrequent and stopping service from Llansamlet - especially as you have then thrown away any advantage in schlepping onto a local road and joining the "indirect" railway from Swansea to Neath and beyond.
Llansamlet only gets a train every 2 hours now, but the Swansea District Line only gets 2 trains a day in the better served direction. You'll need a different timetable for either to work as a park & ride station.

Using realtimetrains's estimates, it should be around 50 minutes from Llansamlet to Cardiff on a train with 1 or 2 intermediate stops. That doesn't sound too bad to me

If you started from Llanelli, a train via the Main Line with one intermediate stop takes 68 minutes to Cardiff, and one via the District Line 78 minutes. While I'm sure you could improve some of the speed limits on the District Line without spending a silly amount, the route the line takes to Carmarthenshire really is indirect.

Going from the motorway to the station will take time, but you're going to have to join a local road wherever the station is. Llansamlet's on the Swansea side of the motorway, which may make things worse, but it's still less than a mile from the junction.

As for funding - well we know.....best look down the back of the sofa ....:D
I know the Wales Office gets millions of pounds a year for something or other, but I don't think it's for railway stations. Unless you're suggesting Alun Cairns should raid someone else's sofa... :o

Envoy

Established Member
What about building a brand new station for Swansea on the site of the Landore Diesel Depot? That way, Neath still gets mainline trains and through services to west Wales don’t have to waste time going into the dead end present Swansea High Street Station. A tram service could link from a Landore station with the city centre and the Bay area as well as the new developments in the eastern docks. That said, I still think it is a good idea to use the Swansea Distrcit Line for passenger services - especially in view of small the new developments taking place in north Swansea.

Map of Landore :>
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/search/landore/@51.6396809,-3.9382946,1028m/data=!3m1!1e3!5m1!1e1

It is regrettable that this new thread has been started about transport in the Swansea area when I had already started one under Infrastructure:>https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...-proposal-to-operate-passenger-trains.177767/

squizzler

Established Member
If better use was made of the Swansea district line, and with all the bi-modes (ex-Thameslink & Stadler) coming on stream, it would make further electrification to the West of Cardiff a slam-dunk, economically speaking. At least to where the SDL diverged from the Swansea route.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
What about building a brand new station for Swansea on the site of the Landore Diesel Depot? That way, Neath still gets mainline trains and through services to west Wales don’t have to waste time going into the dead end present Swansea High Street Station. A tram service could link from a Landore station with the city centre and the Bay area as well as the new developments in the eastern docks. That said, I still think it is a good idea to use the Swansea Distrcit Line for passenger services - especially in view of small the new developments taking place in north Swansea.

Map of Landore :>
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/search/landore/@51.6396809,-3.9382946,1028m/data=!3m1!1e3!5m1!1e1

It is regrettable that this new thread has been started about transport in the Swansea area when I had already started one under Infrastructure:>https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...-proposal-to-operate-passenger-trains.177767/

Agreed. It has developed into a "Speculative Ideas Thread"

Envoy

Established Member
If better use was made of the Swansea district line, and with all the bi-modes (ex-Thameslink & Stadler) coming on stream, it would make further electrification to the West of Cardiff a slam-dunk, economically speaking. At least to where the SDL diverged from the Swansea route.

The ex-Thameslink trains (769’s) are as I understand it, just a temporary fix until new fleets can come on stream. The Stadler trains that are on order for the west Wales to Manchester services are diesel only. Had the UK Government not cancelled the Cardiff to Swansea electrification, then surely it would have made sense for these to be bi-mode so that they could use the overhead wire between Swansea & Newport and those which already exist between Crewe & Manchester. Having these run on overhead wires between Swansea & Newport would also have made the electrification west of Cardiff more cost effective along with the local stoppers being electric only and possibly be extended to Temple Meads / Bath. It will be a great pity if having had the new diesel only fleet for the Manchester run delivered that the UK Government then decide to electrify from Cardiff to Swansea and only the Class 800 Hitachi Express Trains can use the overhead line.

squizzler

Established Member
The ex-Thameslink trains (769’s) are as I understand it, just a temporary fix until new fleets can come on stream.

If the SDL gained new services it will require new stock in addition to that is already spoken for on the rest of the network. The 769's would be a shoe-in.

Had the UK Government not cancelled the Cardiff to Swansea electrification, then surely it would have made sense for these to be bi-mode so that they could use the overhead wire between Swansea & Newport and those which already exist between Crewe & Manchester.

As things stand modern CAF DMU's would have no problem whatsoever finding new homes if the amount of route that was electrified increased to the point it tipped the balance in favour of EDMU's. Everyone says Northern will find they don't have enough when the new services induce greater rail travel. The Severn Capitals HST's in Scotland are only there because there were not enough quality DMU's available in the timeframe. Southwestern 159's won't last forever. And so forth.

J-Rod

Doesn't something similar get mooted every few years... and then quietly disappears?

The Swansea District Line would be very handy for alot of things but as @ChiefPlanner pointed out, has suffered from years of under-investment. I can't see this happening as it would cost... alot.

As to 'Trams/Trains Back To Mumbles'... I think that might be tough. I suspect that the amount of NIMBYs down there has increased tenfold in the past decade (and anyway, they all have posh cars, so no need to take public transport along with The Poor).

In my view, Swansea kept the wrong station. Victoria (and the line running up through Clyne Valley) would have been far handier these days. Hell, I would have been able to take the train to school!!

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Doesn't something similar get mooted every few years... and then quietly disappears?

The Swansea District Line would be very handy for alot of things but as @ChiefPlanner pointed out, has suffered from years of under-investment. I can't see this happening as it would cost... alot.

As to 'Trams/Trains Back To Mumbles'... I think that might be tough. I suspect that the amount of NIMBYs down there has increased tenfold in the past decade (and anyway, they all have posh cars, so no need to take public transport along with The Poor).

In my view, Swansea kept the wrong station. Victoria (and the line running up through Clyne Valley) would have been far handier these days. Hell, I would have been able to take the train to school!!

Some reasonable points there - I think the SWD line is in "fair" condition , a good bit of the track was relaid about a decade ago and the 2 main bridge structures have been refurbished (it does not have a lot of traffic to be honest - relying on what is left of the tinplate trade and West Wales tanker trains)

A station can cost as much you want to spend - there have been shockers like the cost of Kenilworth ! - but something like £10 million ought to be "reasonable" as long as people do not get carried away (Bristol Parkway in 1971 started as a semi-Portakabin !) - the main issue will be operating costs for an hourly semi-fast service Carmarthen - Cardiff (or replacing the Carmarthen - Swansea/Port Talbot leg of the present day and maybe persuading FGW to divert the handful of West Wales bound services via the SDL

J-Rod

Some reasonable points there - I think the SWD line is in "fair" condition , a good bit of the track was relaid about a decade ago and the 2 main bridge structures have been refurbished (it does not have a lot of traffic to be honest - relying on what is left of the tinplate trade and West Wales tanker trains)

A station can cost as much you want to spend - there have been shockers like the cost of Kenilworth ! - but something like £10 million ought to be "reasonable" as long as people do not get carried away (Bristol Parkway in 1971 started as a semi-Portakabin !) - the main issue will be operating costs for an hourly semi-fast service Carmarthen - Cardiff (or replacing the Carmarthen - Swansea/Port Talbot leg of the present day and maybe persuading FGW to divert the handful of West Wales bound services via the SDL

About costs; how much did the reinstatement of the 2nd platform at Gowerton cost? The passenger figures since they started to provide a decent service have patently demonstrated that there was massive suppressed demand (which wasn't really a surprise to us locals - reopening Cockett would probably have the same effect, as well as providing any more than a token service to places like Bynea, etc.).

I do find the whole situation regarding the SDL rather frustrating (personally) but sadly, Swansea seems to be full of that sort of thing - a whole bunch of unrealised/wasted potential and it's hard to feel anything but pessimism! I would love to be proved wrong. Please, someone say something to the contrary else I'll be going to bed in a sulk.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
About costs; how much did the reinstatement of the 2nd platform at Gowerton cost? The passenger figures since they started to provide a decent service have patently demonstrated that there was massive suppressed demand (which wasn't really a surprise to us locals - reopening Cockett would probably have the same effect, as well as providing any more than a token service to places like Bynea, etc.).

I do find the whole situation regarding the SDL rather frustrating (personally) but sadly, Swansea seems to be full of that sort of thing - a whole bunch of unrealised/wasted potential and it's hard to feel anything but pessimism! I would love to be proved wrong. Please, someone say something to the contrary else I'll be going to bed in a sulk.

In a previous job life , I had something to do with Gowerton - a great success in all respects , nicely fitted in with the Lougher Bridge rebuilding , just shows what can be done with a it of targetted spend. Pyle has been another good one. More to come I reckon.

(you can probably work out my "do something for the area" approach being a South West Walian by birth.

J-Rod

In a previous job life , I had something to do with Gowerton - a great success in all respects , nicely fitted in with the Lougher Bridge rebuilding , just shows what can be done with a it of targetted spend. Pyle has been another good one. More to come I reckon.

(you can probably work out my "do something for the area" approach being a South West Walian by birth.

Good man!! :)

Envoy

Established Member
Another article about trains in the Swansea area has now appeared on Media Wales:>https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/tricky-question-new-swansea-railway-15991480

A separate piece of work by engineering consultants Arup, on behalf of rail operator Transport for Wales, has investigated a range of parkway options.

Arup's study builds on a wider, strategic look at the rail network across South Wales, which identified a lack of park and ride facilities, relatively slow journey times, and infrequent services further west.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/plan-20m-railway-station-near-15787162

Personally, I favour Professor Barry's Metro plans - especially if it means bringing Trams back to The Mumbles some time in the not too distant future.
'West Wales Parkway', please no... The whole point of a faster service from Pembrokeshire to Cardiff in my view is to get passengers to use Pembrokeshire stations (and Carmarthen station) rather than driving to Port Talbot Parkway. 'Morriston/Ynysforgan Tawe Valley Parkway' on the other hand could be a good idea, but that would be junction 45 on the M4 not junction 46. J.45 could put the station on a bus route from the Tawe valley into Swansea, allowing connections between the two. J.46 doesn't do that; it would only serve Llangyfelach.

I don't see how an hourly Carmarthen-Cardiff express via the Swansea District Line (starting back from Milford Haven every two hours) is in any way mutually exclusive to a Metro system for Swansea.

Getting trains to Mumbles as far as I can see is a pie in the sky notion.
I agree. Tram-trains (in tram mode) on the other hand... On-street running Mumbles-Quadrant-High Street then sharing tracks with heavy rail out to Neath Abbey where the tram-trains would turn off for street running over to Neath (GWML) station. Some of the heavy-rail trains would carry on past Neath Abbey to Cardiff via Glyn-Neath and Aberdare. Others would turn left at Llandarcy to run up to the Tawe Valley Parkway, giving a rail option into Swansea without building the connecting chord at Llansamlet proposed in the link on the first post. None of that's going to happen overnight of course.

It's not just what currently uses the line, but future prospects too. Potentially there could be:
  • 1tph Swansea - London (calling at Neath, Port Talbot, Bridgend, Cardiff...)
  • 1tph Swansea - Manchester (as above)
  • 1tph Swansea - Bristol Temple Meads (as above, plus Pyle)
  • 1tph Swansea - Cardiff/Ebbw Vale/Cheltenham Spa/Abertillery (all stations)
  • 1tph Carmarthen - Cardiff (calling at Llanelli, Tawe Valley Parkway, Port Talbot and Cardiff only)
  • 2tph Maesteg - Cardiff/Ebbw Vale/Cheltenham Spa/Abertillery (all stations)
  • ?tph freight
That's a 7tph passenger service between Cardiff and Bridgend. I note that a new station is proposed between the two, at Miskin (possibly where there is current a loop). Would building the platforms at Miskin on a 4-track section, with platforms only on the loop lines, allowing fast trains to overtake stoppers be enough to give capacity for all the above? The first two services obviously want to run as near as damn it 30 minutes apart from each other, and similarly for the 3rd and 4th (to give Pyle a 30min interval service) services and the Masestegs, meaning there is little scope for flighting fast and slow trains together.

The ex-Thameslink trains (769’s) are as I understand it, just a temporary fix until new fleets can come on stream. The Stadler trains that are on order for the west Wales to Manchester services are diesel only. Had the UK Government not cancelled the Cardiff to Swansea electrification, then surely it would have made sense for these to be bi-mode so that they could use the overhead wire between Swansea & Newport and those which already exist between Crewe & Manchester.
The new trains for the Manchester services are not Stadler, they're CAF. If CAF did bi-mode, I would be arguing that they should be bi-mode anyway. Regardless of electrification in south Wales, there are wires between Manchester and Crewe, and between Birmingham and Wolverhampton, that the new fleet could make use of. If the fleet were bi-mode, it might also be possible to make a case for the exension of electrification from Wolverhampton to Shrewsbury.

If the SDL gained new services it will require new stock in addition to that is already spoken for on the rest of the network. The 769's would be a shoe-in.

As things stand modern CAF DMU's would have no problem whatsoever finding new homes if the amount of route that was electrified increased to the point it tipped the balance in favour of EDMU's. Everyone says Northern will find they don't have enough when the new services induce greater rail travel. The Severn Capitals HST's in Scotland are only there because there were not enough quality DMU's available in the timeframe. Southwestern 159's won't last forever. And so forth.
Personally, I think Transport for Wales should take over (and reopen) Landore depot and base the 170s due to come from Anglia there along with (when the new trains arrive) either the 24 158s from Machynlleth or the class 175 fleet. The 158s/175s would work Swansea-Pembrokeshire, Heart Of Wales and Pembrokeshire/Carmarthen-Morriston-Cardiff services while the 170s would be used to make a start on the Swansea metro by running Swansea - Gowerton - Pontarddulais - Pantyffynnon - Ammanford. The latter wouldn't (publicly) call at Llanelli, Bynea or Llangennech so that users don't become accustomed to a frequent service (in case the services are diverted via Gorseinon to join the Swansea District Line north of Grovesend).

Status
Not open for further replies.