• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Prosecution help required for journey from London to Stansted

Status
Not open for further replies.

amit

HI Guys ... 2 weeks ago i was travelling on offpick ticket at pick time and i was stop by officer and i admit about my mistake of wrong tavelling. now I have reccived letter from procecution team .. regarding the incident saying( all the above evidence is being considered as to wheather leagal proceeding are appropriate.if you concider that there are further mitigating factors that may influence any decision that may be made about this matter you are invited to respond withi 14 days) COULD SOME ONE HELP TO RESOPND THIS LETTER TO AVOID PROCEUTION ... PLEASE REPLY ....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

soil

Established Member
What ticket did you hold?

Where were you travelling from and to, on what time and date were you stopped, and at which station, and who sent the letter?

amit

offpick ticket towards stansted...at around 7.45 letter from procecution team greater anglia abillo

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
What exactly happened when your ticket was inspected?

Also it's 'peak' as in the highest level (of demand), not 'pick'. Sorry to be pedantic.

34D

Established Member
offpick ticket towards stansted...at around 7.45 letter from procecution team greater anglia abillo

Was the ticket from London? If so, we can hopefully help you with a suitable letter.

soil

Established Member
I'm not sure if English is not your native language but if it is, then you are not coming off well, and it would be nice if you would try to answer the questions asked with a bit more care, as this is a serious matter. (E.g., the letter would have said Abellio Greater Anglia, and there isn't really any reason not to spell it correctly...)

I will try again:

What ticket did you hold? (It should say on the ticket, something like: Cambridge - Stansted Airport Off Peak Return, or London Terminals - Stansted Mountfichet Off-Peak Day Return)

Where were you travelling from?

On what date were you stopped?

I take it 7:45 is in the morning?

And at what station were you stopped?

amit

i purchase the ticket a day before as i was doing night shift .. i thought i will finesh my shift at pick time but i finesh early i catch the train and there was no ticket officer on the train but there was one at the barrieer on who stop me and ask me lots of Q. and i admit the mistake of traveling and say im ready to pay fine.. but she let me go and now i have reccived this letter..
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
yes
from liverpool street

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I refer you back to the questions soil asked above, specifically "What ticket did you hold?". Please note that if you cannot provide sufficient details related to your case then we will not be able to provide an accurate answer.

Please provide a detailed description of what is actually printed on your ticket. If you no longer have it with you, please say so and explain why.

soil

Established Member
That is NOT a detailed description of what is actually printed on your ticket.

I assume your ticket says

Off Peak Day Return
To: Stansted Airport

Or was it

Off Peak Day Return
To: London Terminals

?

Or perhaps

Off Peak Day Return
To: London Terminals

You do need to answer ALL the questions asked.....

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
So if I understand you correctly, you bought

London Terminals - Stansted Airport
Route Any Permitted
Off-Peak Day Return
£24.00

the day before. Is this correct?

Is the ticket dated for your date of travel or for the day before?

amit

Off-Peak Day Return from liverpool street.in the morning at 7.45

soil

Established Member
So you boarded the train at Liverpool Street with this ticket, and were caught at Stansted Airport?

amit

Off Peak Day Return
To: Stansted Airport
yes it is printed correct but the only matter i was travelling at peak time .i purchase the ticket a day before .

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
What date did the ticket have printed on it? You said it was an Off Peak Day Return but you bought it the day before?

TP

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
....im ready to pay fine.. .
If you are happy to plead guilty and pay a fine, that's up to you (I wouldn't be, personally), but the matter does have to go through the proper channels (ie, it has to go to Court, though you do not have to attend) before the Court can issue a fine.

I am most surprised at this, as the NRCoC states that an excess fare is payable in this case. Therefore, something went badly wrong. Either there was a rogue inspector acting outside the remit of the NRCoC or you said something, or acted in a way that suggested you were attempting to avoid payment of an excess fare (e.g. if you attempted to avoid a ticket inspection).
yes i board at liverpool
Liverpool? Not London Liverpool Street?

soil

Established Member
If you are happy to plead guilty and pay a fine, that's up to you (I wouldn't be, personally), but the matter does have to go through the proper channels (ie, it has to go to Court, though you do not have to attend) before the Court can issue a fine.

Sounds like he failed the attitude test more than anything.

island

Veteran Member
Were you asked to pay an excess fare of £7.50 to make your ticket valid? If so, what did you say?

Flamingo

Established Member
If it was a day ticket dated the day before, then an excess would not have been appropriate, I would have thought, as it would have lost any validity at close of play.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I think it's important we know what happened when you were questioned by the inspector.

Unless there is evidence that you were deliberately avoiding the fare then you definitely shouldn't be in this situation. What should happen is you pay the extra to the correct fare, that's all.

I suspect that saying you'd pay "the fine" made the inspector think you were deliberately trying to avoid the correct fare. But without more detail it's hard to say. It is unusual for prosecutions to happen for travelling at times the ticket is not valid though.

amit

wt i can do now to avoid the matter go to the court
no...they didnt ask me

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If it was a day ticket dated the day before, then an excess would not have been valid, I would have thought, as it would have lost any validity at close of play.
Hmm... good point.

amit - what date did your ticket show, and what date did you actually travel?

Was the ticket bought for the correct date?
wt i can do now to avoid the matter go to the court
That question cannot be answered at present, because we do not know the facts of the matter. And we will not, unless you inform us.
-
no...they didnt ask me
OK but if we are to help we need the full facts.

If you are concerned that the full facts may incriminate you then I advise not posting here, and instead seek legal advice.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
It is not certain that the matter will go to court, in fact it might be the case that there was a mistake somewhere down the line. Please remain patient and answer the questions one at a time. We can then help you figure out the best way forward.

amit

the date was correct everything was ok .accept my traveling time was not correct.and i failed to show the valid ticket as per the inspector said as the ticket is for offpeak time not for peak.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Thanks for confirming this. Now it is important that you explain to us how the conversation between you and the inspector went exactly. Please be as detailed as you can.

Take as much time as you need. There is not very much you can do tonight to change anything so you might as well take a breath, relax, and include as many details as you can remember.

Flamingo

Established Member
If the ticket was an off-peak day return purchased the day before on the way to work, then the date on it was not OK, that ticket was not valid after 04.20 on the day after purchase.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Also, was this a one-off journey or a journey you make regularly?
If you make it regularly, what ticket do you usually buy for this journey?
Was this the outward or return portion of the ticket?
If it was the return portion, when did you make the outward journey?

soil

Established Member
I believe you should have been charged £7.50 excess fare to upgrade your off-peak fare to an Anytime fare, providing the date on your ticket was for the day you travelled.

There was no need to pay a 'fine', just the difference in price between the peak ticket and the off-peak one. However your poor communication skills let you down I guess, saying 'I am happy to pay a fine' was a big mistake, and this probably resulted in the course of action we are seeing here.

If you had been an articulate businessman in a suit and had approached the ticket checker saying 'I have an off-peak day return could you please excess it to an Anytime Return', there would have been no problem.

Provided the ticket was for the day you actually travelled, this is a relatively simple matter and a letter along the lines of

To Whom It May Concern,
I am in receipt of your letter regarding my travel on [date] from Liverpool Street to Stansted Airport, and I would like to respond to the issues raised.

I had purchased an off-peak day return for [date] the previous night, because I believed my travel would be after 9:30am. However due to unforeseen circumstances at my work (I work a night shift), my travel on the morning of [date] was during the morning peak, at 7:45am. When I arrived at Stansted Airport I offered to the inspector to pay any 'fine' due for travelling on an off-peak ticket during peak hours. This I now realise to have been unfortunate use of language made because I speak English as a second language, and I now understand that the correct term is 'excess fare', under the National Rail Conditions of Carriage section 12.

I did my best to communicate my willingness to pay the excess fare, however the Inspector did not ask me to pay it and instead took my name and address and now I have received this letter.

I would like to repeat my offer to pay the excess fare, in accordance with the National Rail Conditions of Carriage section 12. The difference between the Off-Peak Day Return fare which I purchased, costing £24, and the Anytime Return fare, which is £31.50. Accordingly I have enclosed a cheque for £7.50 in settlement of this matter.

Yours truly,
Amit

Last edited:

amit

inspector ask me Q LIKE

What is ur final destination? where u board this train ? do u know that ur travelling on off pick ticket? fist i say no then i later on say i made a mistake .and i told that i will buy the exess ticket on board but there was no ticket inspector. they read the caution. to me .
thanks soil
i hope this letter will avoid the procecution....

Status
Not open for further replies.