• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Prosecution - Lost Ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

WesternLancer

Established Member
The inspector recorded my details by writing them down, he asked me for my ticket as I was getting my belongings out of my bag, including my driving license (which incidentally was my old address not my current one, the summons was to my old address, I got notified by old address sending it to me).

To get to the bottom of the bag, my items as I got them out I put on the ledge of the front of the bus (as shown in the red diamond on the photo)

He said nothing as I was looking for my ticket, was just writing in his notebook, only after getting the summons did I realise he was writing down the details from my driving license without saying anything.
Poor show really. What's wrong with talking to people?
Driving license with out of date address is another offence IIRC, so they will be after you for that next....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tom S

I carry an old license with me, so my actual driving license is up to date and in the car.

Gloster

Established Member
I thought old driving licences were supposed to be returned to the DVLA when replaced. That is what the website appears to say (I have been trying - and failing - to renew mine for the last couple of days.)

ninhog

I carry an old license with me, so my actual driving license is up to date and in the car.

That’s a little bizarre- there’s no benefit to carrying an out of date identification document.

Have your details been taken previously for any travel irregularities; either with correct or incorrect ID?

Kilopylae

So just to clarify on precisely what happened —

[1] RPI asks to see your ticket

[2.1] You tell the RPI you hold a Travelcard and [2.2] appear to start complying, taking things out of your bag and putting them on the ledge as you look for it

[3] RPI stands there writing in his or her notebook as you do so and does not say anything

[4.1] RPI leaves without saying anything and [4.2] heads downstairs without checking anyone else on the upstairs of the bus

[5] You find the Travelcard but now have no opportunity to present it

[6] You receive the court summons forwarded from your old address and subsequently conjecture that the RPI must have taken your details from your driving license.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Apols as not sure how bus TFL checks work - do they write to allow you to explain your side? (others will know) and if so could that have gone to your old address, and not been passed on to you? If so that would mean you missed a good chance to put your side of events before this stage I guess, when you still perhaps had the ticket, and been able to press TfL customer services about it.

I guess your old license is handy for age ID, but aside from if this is permitted or not as suggested by others, if you lost it it would be useful for someone to use for ID fraud using your name and old address and might be some time before you found out about (when bailiffs found you....), so it may not be wise, even if understandable.

Tom S

So just to clarify on precisely what happened —

[1] RPI asks to see your ticket

[2.1] You tell the RPI you hold a Travelcard and [2.2] appear to start complying, taking things out of your bag and putting them on the ledge as you look for it

[3] RPI stands there writing in his or her notebook as you do so and does not say anything

[4.1] RPI leaves without saying anything and [4.2] heads downstairs without checking anyone else on the upstairs of the bus

[5] You find the Travelcard but now have no opportunity to present it

[6] You receive the court summons forwarded from your old address and subsequently conjecture that the RPI must have taken your details from your driving license.

Yes that it is what happened.

Kilopylae

Would you be able to upload a copy of any correspondence you've received (such as the court summons), with any identifying details blacked out? It would help us advise you correctly. I will concede I'm a bit confused by the assertion that a court summons, as opposed to a letter from TfL, would cite two different offences.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
I will concede I'm a bit confused by the assertion that a court summons, as opposed to a letter from TfL, would cite two different offences.
I suspect that the 1990 regulations are made under the 1981 Act.

MotCO

Established Member
Yes that it is what happened.

As a matter of interest, as you took things out of your bag, did the RPI just take your driving licence, or did you offer it to him? This could have a bearing on whether you gave a false address or whether the RPI assumed an address which was wrong. If the latter, has an offence of giving a false address been made?

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
As a matter of interest, as you took things out of your bag, did the RPI just take your driving licence, or did you offer it to him? This could have a bearing on whether you gave a false address or whether the RPI assumed an address which was wrong. If the latter, has an offence of giving a false address been made?
I think this is an unnecessary complication: as far as I can tell, the OP is not being pursued for having given (or if you prefer allowed the inspector to assume) a false address.

Last edited:

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I think this is an unnecessary complication: as far as I can tell, the OP is not being pursued for having given (or if you prefer allowed the inspector to assume) a false address.
Not being persued, but if the OP wants the fact that the wrong address was used to be taken into consideration as the reason why they didn't engage sooner, then it's relevant whether the inspector made it clear they were using the address on the licence.

Parham Wood

Is it legal for a bus inspector to take details from a driving licence without first asking to be shown it? Surely they must at least say that they are taking a note of one's address.

Kilopylae

Based on the version of events OP agreed to, they only subsequently conjectured that the RPI took the details from the driving license, on the basis that the letter had been forwarded from their former address.

Status
Not open for further replies.