• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Protestor climbs aboard train to power station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Towers

Established Member
From the BBC:

A protester has climbed on top of a train near a power plant in North Yorkshire.
The Axe Drax campaign group said one of its activists "halted the train", which was carrying wood pellets and heading to Drax Power station in Selby.
Images on social media show the activist, dressed in orange, waving a flag bearing the Extinction Rebellion logo. It comes as the COP26 climate summit in Glasgow draws to an end.
Drax said there had been "no impact".

The article doesn't give any detail of when or how the individual accessed the train, I'd hazard a guess it may have been at a stand in the vicinity of Drax awaiting access?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
We should stop giving these weirdos the attention they seek.

I wonder where this individual lives and how they got there...

ARIC

A BBC news article ≠ "no impact"

In fact I don't know where this idea of protests solely being about "stopping something from happening at that particular time and place", and if it doesn't achieve that it's billed as being a failure, has come from?

This absolute nobody has managed to get a direct quote about his views on the ruddy BBC News website by doing little more than getting on top of something - we make this far too easy for people!

tpjm

"Slam on the breaks" - one wonders whether this quote was given in writing and is verbatim, if the BBC are trying to make the protesters look silly or if the BBC themselves can't write...

Gloster

Established Member
The Twitter piece on the BBC News site appears to be from the top of the train and the speaker definitely sounds female, although she is so muffled up against the cold that it is difficult to be quite sure. I don’t know the area, but at a guess the train had not long left the Goole line.

AlbertBeale

Established Member

I'm not sure what's "weird" about taking desperate action in the face of desperate threats.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm not sure what's "weird" about taking desperate action in the face of desperate threats.
I don't see how you can not see their behaviour is weird.

And where did this person come from and how did they get there?

Does this person and their ilk not use any electricity at all?

"Slam on the breaks" - one wonders whether this quote was given in writing and is verbatim, if the BBC are trying to make the protesters look silly or if the BBC themselves can't write...
The standard of BBC journalism is very poor these days and the organisation appears to have been infiltrated by the far left, sadly.

BBC News site has been going downhill for a while but this deterioration has really accelerated in the last couple of years in particular.

....we make this far too easy for people!
We do indeed, though the BBC will be proud of that.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
The standard of BBC journalism is very poor these days and the organisation appears to have been infiltrated by the far left, sadly.

BBC News site has been going downhill for a while but this deterioration has really accelerated in the last couple of years in particular.

Yes - I've given up complaining about the low standard of literacy and intelligibility on the BBC website in particular; their actual broadcasts tend to be better written (though not without howlers from time to time).

"Far left" in the BBC? Well, in my dealings with them (I've done loads of interviews and so on over the years), I've not generally found the people I dealt with were particularly left-wing, and certainly not "far left" ... though that latter term seems to be mostly used pejoratively rather than as something easily defined... My experience as a listener/viewer is that BBC news coverage almost never questions or challenges basic assumptions about the world (and ones which I would see as right wing), especially over aspects of market economics.

WestRiding

Given up on the BBC. Only relevant to the far left as said above.
Watching 'Hard Talk' on Thursday morning, the presenter was going out of her way to portray Poland as the wrong un' with all the Belarus problem.

Whistler40145

Established Member

I fully agree with you

Drax Power Station isn't in an area of large habitation and without a regular train service in the area

richa2002

Established Member
The weirdness is the mass deception about the "desperate" threats you describe. It's an end of the world cult not based in reality. That's weird.

deltic

Established Member
The more protests the better - its only with radical changes in our behaviour that we are going to tackle climate change.

Alanko

Somewhere between Waverley and Queen Street.
The more protests the better - its only with radical changes in our behaviour that we are going to tackle climate change.
Not if they put people off their cause. Watching COP26 coverage, a lot of the protestors appear to be exhibitionists, in it for their own gratification. Lots of crustie/raver types, students and retired allotment botherers. If you think that banging a drum out of time or doing a weird performance art is going to save us from the end times then you live in a position of immense privilege and comfort. To the rest of us it is looking more and more like a bizarre cargo cult.

WestRiding

Not really..... They have alienated me from their cause. They just p@$s me off every time they pop up on the news.

Towers

Established Member
Unfortunately, I think the reality is that these small-scale protests achieve precious little. Look at the Insulate Britain lot, they've succeeded in turning the vast majority of the motoring population against them, and very little of the media coverage of their actions gives any real exploration of their causes and aims from what I've seen and heard. Indeed, the media have been far more focussed on instances of the protestors refusing to allow ambulances to pass, and hearing stories from motorists trying to reach hospitals etc. The reality of the climate change crisis is that the only change we see will be whatever it suits governments to adopt and implement, and I don't think it's going to be anywhere near as drastic as a lot of folk were hoping.

deltic

Established Member
Not if they put people off their cause. Watching COP26 coverage, a lot of the protestors appear to be exhibitionists, in it for their own gratification. Lots of crustie/raver types, students and retired allotment botherers. If you think that banging a drum out of time or doing a weird performance art is going to save us from the end times then you live in a position of immense privilege and comfort. To the rest of us it is looking more and more like a bizarre cargo cult.
That is exactly why only direct action has any impact

spyinthesky

I don’t really remember that actual protesting has changed anything.
To make radical changes in an instant will not work. Perhaps we can prolong the human existence but that’s all.

deltic

Established Member
Not really..... They have alienated me from their cause. They just p@$s me off every time they pop up on the news.
Which means they are successful - because they have generated a response from you. You want them off the news, you make your views widely known, politicians get the message people are either fed up with them or with the issue they are highlighting so either way they know they have to deal with the issue.

Ianno87

Veteran Member

The BBC is simultaneously accused of being "far left" but also assused of being a propaganda organisation for a Tory government.

Must be getting it about right, then.

WestRiding

Which means they are successful - because they have generated a response from you. You want them off the news, you make your views widely known, politicians get the message people are either fed up with them or with the issue they are highlighting so either way they know they have to deal with the issue.
Well they didn't get their message through then, just made me and the other half want and get an ST rather than an EV, (while we still can) so it didn't help with anything green related.

Falcon1200

Established Member
While not condoning potentially dangerous interference with railway operations, it is surely valid to point out (perhaps in another way) that shipping bits of tree thousands of miles to burn in a power station is not in any way environmentally friendly ?

D1537

Given up on the BBC. Only relevant to the far left as said above.
Watching 'Hard Talk' on Thursday morning, the presenter was going out of her way to portray Poland as the wrong un' with all the Belarus problem.
That would be the BBC whose chairman is a Tory donor, whose Director-General is a former Tory politician, and only this week it turns out that the "independent" mmber on the panel choosing BBC board members is ... another Tory donor? Who showed obvious Conservative bias in the run-up to the 2019 General election, including grilling Cobyn and Swinson but not Johnson, and editing out a section of Question Time where Johnson was laughed at by the audience? Whose political editor uncritically repeats "off-the-record" briefings from No.10, even when they turn out to be false?

Those darned lefties, eh?

I don’t really remember that actual protesting has changed anything.

The Suffragettes, the Battle of Cable Street, the Poll Tax, anti-fracking?

Watto1990

All these protest movements are despised at the time, and in the same way everybody will tell you today they opposed apartheid and supported Martin Luther King, in 30 years time you’ll barely find a single person who’ll admit they opposed climate protests.

spyinthesky

That would be the BBC whose chairman is a Tory donor, whose Director-General is a former Tory politician, and only this week it turns out that the "independent" mmber on the panel choosing BBC board members is ... another Tory donor? Who showed obvious Conservative bias in the run-up to the 2019 General election, including grilling Cobyn and Swinson but not Johnson, and editing out a section of Question Time where Johnson was laughed at by the audience? Whose political editor uncritically repeats "off-the-record" briefings from No.10, even when they turn out to be false?

Those darned lefties, eh?

The Suffragettes, the Battle of Cable Street, the Poll Tax, anti-fracking?
A whole 4? Women’s votes were on their way across society helped by that big protest of WW1.
As for the BBC, there is nothing out there any different.
It always amazes me how democracy always seems to get in the way of democracy.

greyman42

Established Member
You will not be saying that when your lights go out and the heating turns off.

If the idiot concerned had ended up dead or severely injured doing his protest, no doubt someone in the rail industry would of been blamed.

Status
Not open for further replies.