• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Prototype HST P/C moving from NRM to NL tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

shedman

Unfortunatly I can't offer you the timings or route but NL are expecting the arrival of the prototype HST power car tomorrow morning as part of the Project Miller. The BBC will be following its progress as part of a documentary.

Found times on WNXX

Thur 29 March York NRM 1200 York 1210 Holgate Sidings 1213 - 1249 Colton Jn 1258 Colton South Jn 1259 Church Fenton 1305 Milford SB 1311 Castleford 1318 Whitwood Jn 1320 Methley Jn 1324 Stourton Jn 1332 Engine Shed Jn 1337 Leeds West Jn 1339 Leeds 1340 Neville Hill 1351

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wyvern

Established Member
It doesnt actually. <(

Who is or was Terry Miller?

Wyvern

Established Member
Thanks

My belief it was a team effort - the HST could not have become the success it is without all the other work that was going on in Derby at that time.

sprinterguy

Established Member
It is with great pleasure that I consider that the main driving force behind the HST project was a man who learnt his trade under Gresley on the LNER. I should never have expected anything less! :)

Wyvern

Established Member
Unfortunately the mechanical engineers were still building trains as they did in LNER (and LMS, SWR and SR) days.

That's why the BRB gave the Research Department to the civils.

I think probably the strength of Terry Miller would have been willingness to listen to new ideas.

If that is so, and I note he retired in 1973. If he had have still been around the APT might have been built as designed and not b7777rrd around with. We would have then had two world-beating trains.

Last edited:

sprite

Saw this thread at 13:15. I sprinted to the end of my road to catch the 4 into Leds. He shut the doors as I got to them and drove off. Conductor was laughing. No chance of me catching it. HOWEVER I did ring my Dad to confirm it was running, it is about to pass Holbeck Depot nowish so he is going to try snap a shot of it.

Wish I had seen this thread earlier!

fgwrich

Established Member
Terry Miller was the man who designed the HST, it says as much in that link you have provided. East Midlands Train have a power car named after him, 43048.

One of the Designers! I think Terry Miller or TCB Miller MBE may have been the designer and leader of the original BR HST Project but certainly the streamlined front and majoritiy of what we see is actually designed by British Industrial Designer - Kenneth Grange CBE :)

Even so, it'll be good to see it out and about on the Mainline, and at Railfest with FGWs reliveried Mk3 & Power car...

Wyvern

Established Member
While I agree Kenneth Grange was responsible for its iconic appearance, the HST was, and is, so much more than a body shell.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Saw this thread at 13:15. I sprinted to the end of my road to catch the 4 into Leds. He shut the doors as I got to them and drove off. Conductor was laughing. No chance of me catching it. HOWEVER I did ring my Dad to confirm it was running, it is about to pass Holbeck Depot nowish so he is going to try snap a shot of it.

Wish I had seen this thread earlier!

Not sure what time it went through Leeds, but it was about 20 minutes early passing Colton Junction - so you might've missed it anyway!

shedman

The BBC crew filming its arrival werent best pleased when it arrived early and their camera was set up next to a 158/144 sat chugging away next to them waiting to depart!

sprite

Not sure what time it went through Leeds, but it was about 20 minutes early passing Colton Junction - so you might've missed it anyway!

I would have. My dad managed to snap it passing Holbeck Depot, only a thumbnail of an image though as it was on his blackberry. Currently my avatar

DarloRich

Veteran Member
i got a poor picture of the 31 at Donny on my way back from York. It weas taken from an open HST window! It will appear on my flickr later.

Also some decent pictures of Tornado but none of the HST move as i only just disciovered this thread doh!

It is a great shame, a disgrace in fact, that only one of the HST prototype power cars survives.

I totally agree. 41002 got the booths treatment in the early 90's I think.

Shame BR didnt think it was worth keeping.

RobShipway

Established Member
It is a shame that the same cannot be done s was done with Stephenson's Rocket loco where a working Replica was built or that there is any spare Productin class 43's that could be rebuilt to look like the prototype.

BOSCH

Well we are nearly there,we've got buffer fitted powercars !! :lol::lol:

ash39

Established Member
That 31 was sat at Doncaster Friday evening next to a freshly painted 91104.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Is the prototype fitted with the same TDM equipment as the production power cars?
Ie. could it be marshaled into an operational formation after the rebuild?

WillPS

Established Member
Is the prototype fitted with the same TDM equipment as the production power cars?
Ie. could it be marshaled into an operational formation after the rebuild?
Free to be corrected - but I'm pretty sure I've read that it couldn't and/or didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.