Prototype HST Power Car 41001 to return to York

Discussion in 'Railtours & Preservation' started by 254024, 9 Oct 2019.

1. 254024

254024 New Member

News from 125 Group

www.125group.org.uk

Last edited by a moderator: 10 Oct 2019
  2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Edders23

Edders23 Member

In other words thank you very much for all your hard work but it isn't flying moneypit so it isn't allowed to actually run

4. theblackwatch

theblackwatch Emeritus Moderator

Very disappointing news, given the amount of work that has gone in to returning it to traffic - and a very professional announcement from the 125 Group (which is what I would expect). Hopefully it won't be too long before the 125 Group has its own power cars to restore and operate.

5. Karl

Karl Member

6. northernbelle

northernbelle Member

A real shame. One wonders if the cost of repairs that are required to get her working again have played a part?

A shame either way - far better to have a living exhibit than one stuffed and mounted.

7. 43096

43096 Established Member

No, that is not the case. Reading the item published by 125 Group it is clear: the Science Museum have made the decision not to renew the loan agreement.

8. underbank

underbank Member

That's really going to put off other groups from restoring NRM locos isn't it? Why go to all that work and expense just for the NRM to refuse to renew the loan agreement once the work has been done?

9. Flying Phil

Flying Phil Established Member

Sad news, but I'm sure the group will acquire a suitable power car (- or two?) very soon and continue to showcase what has been - and still is in places, a great motive power/train success story.

10. Rikki Lamb

Rikki Lamb Member

It is an historic and unique artefact and not a toy to be played with but where it can be appreciated by everyone, it should be on display and a production loco used to tour heritage railways instead.

I for one feel it is much safer and secure in the NRM.

11. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

Work - Fenny Stratford(MK) Home - Darlington
    I have seen some very silly froth on social media about this. Some train fans really need to give their head a shake.

None of the articles explain WHY the decision not to renew was taken.

Why? Do you know why the loan of the HST ( clue in the name) wasn't renewed?

12. Spartacus

Spartacus Established Member

The thing is I think if the reasons aren’t publicised I doubt it’s going to give any group optimism about using their own time, money and effort to return an exhibit to traffic.

13. 43096

43096 Established Member

With all due respect I fundamentally disagree.

125 Group has treated 41001 as if it was its own - they are well aware of its importance.

If your idea of it being appreciated by everyone is to leave it cold and dead in York (and not necessarily on display!), then fine. I’d far rather it was taken round the country as a real, working exhibit - which is what has happened at the Mid-Norfolk, Nene Valley, Bo’ness, Keighley etc etc.

14. 43096

43096 Established Member

It’s up to the Science Museum to explain that - it was their decision - so you’d best direct that to them.

15. underbank

underbank Member

So why did they loan it out in the first place then??

16. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

Indeed - but most people here and on social media have immediately assigned a bad motive to that decision.

17. pdeaves

pdeaves Established Member

If the agreement is not being renewed, that means 41001 is being returned to its owners at exactly the agreed time that the HST group knew from the outset. If they had planned or done anything based on automatic renewal that was a bit foolish (nothing wrong with the hope of a renewal, negotiate as appropriate, etc., but don't make the assumption). On the other hand, if they had not made any plans beyond the loan end, there is no reason for anyone to get upset.

18. Darandio

Darandio Established Member

In this case they used our* money didn't they? Granted, that is taking avery simplistic view.

*Monetary donations

19. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

Correct. Negotiations have failed. It is sad. I contribute to the group and will continue to do so despite this situation. They have proved they can deploy the skills needed to maintain, repair and operate a complex locomotive and I am sure they will do so again in the future with an ( hopefully more than one) ex service power car. That has always been the long term aim of the group and one I subscribe to

Use of the prototype was a bonus to me. Take the positives.

20. timj

timj Member

But hadn't the 125 group painted all their coaches to match the prototype? So surely they will all have to repainted to match a production 'loco' (43) if they get one.

21. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

Some are painted in intercity livery.

22. 43096

43096 Established Member

There has been a massive amount learned over the last eight years that will stand them in good stead when they get a production power car. Essentially, they have successfully made the transition from interest group to fully fledged preservation group.

23. 43096

43096 Established Member

2 in prototype livery (10206, 12092).
    2 in IC Swallow (12087/134).
    1 in BR standard blue/grey (10202).
    1 in unbranded GWR green (44000).
    1 in Anglia vinyls that will go for scrap (12065).

24. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

@43096 thanks for the info.

25. northernbelle

northernbelle Member

I was referring to what the motive for not renewing might have been.

Charities have a legal obligation to evidence the provision of public access and education as part of its reason for being. A simple case could be made by the NRM that with 700,000+ visitors a year, the public benefit to having 41001 could be better made by it being at York. I personally don't agree and would far rather it was educating the public about the history of rail travel by being a working exhibit on a real railway but I can see why others might have a different view.

With the arrival of 43002 and the wider context of the HST being retired in numbers, it's probably not surprising that the NRM might have an alternative plan for 41001 over the next few years - it does, after all, belong to them and it is ultimately their prerogative to decide its future - much of the social media commentary appears to have forgotten that.

26. Karl

Karl Member

What are NRM planning to do with 41001? We need the sound of her Valenta! :)

27. theblackwatch

theblackwatch Emeritus Moderator

Another point to bear in mind is that it has raised the profile of the 125 Group among both the enthusiast community and within the rail industry - which can only be a good thing.

28. M28361M

M28361M Member

The NRM has posted a statement on Twitter. First tweet in thread here.

Pretty strong stuff. o_O

29. BRX

BRX Established Member

Is it likely that the 125 group will get hold of a couple of 'real' power cars soon? Or is that unlikely to happen until the various refurbished sets are themselves retired?

30. Edders23

Edders23 Member

I think a number will become surplus to requirements mainly those on the midland main line

31. Darandio

Darandio Established Member

And the responses to that Tweet are a load of predictable overemotive embarrassing wibble. These people seriously need to get a grip.

It's not you lot above is it? :lol: