• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Prototype HST Power Car 41001 to return to York

Status
Not open for further replies.

I assume a lot more communication has taken place out of the public gaze.
One would like to think so - but if so, why the need for the public slinging match??
It shows neither side in a good light

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Royston Vasey

Established Member
I hope they're removing/are contractually allowed to remove their Valenta from it when it goes back. I trust the 125 Group far more than the NRM to look after it.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
did it have an engine in it when first loaned to them?
The engine in it was a sectioned Valenta which they removed and replaced with production engine S508 recovered during the re-engineering programmes (not sure which PC this came from). I recall they have several engines on their books in various states of repair and life.

EDIT: S508 came from 43143 but was donated to the NRM by FGW, not to the 125 Group. So it is already owned by the NRM. Guess that answers my question!

S183 was the sectioned engine removed

https://www.railmagazine.com/news/rail-features/hst-a-preservation-for-the-nation?p=2

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I guess in some respects that works out nicely for the 125Group seeing as that engine needs fixing up!

On Moderation
EDIT: S508 came from 43143 but was donated to the NRM by FGW, not to the 125 Group. So it is already owned by the NRM. Guess that answers my question!
S508 was a Porterbrook engine and was donated to the NRM by them - nothing to do with FGW.

tjlrailblue

oh well at least they are getting the 2 production power cars now when emr / porterbrook are finished with them

Monty

Established Member
I can somewhat understand why some of the die hard enthusiasts are more than willing to jump on the Anti NRM band wagon. The way they have handled a number of recent issues ranging from the deaccession of a number locomotives to withdrawing it's diesels from the mainline means they aren't exactly oozing in credibility at the moment. Their recent statement was strongly worded even if true, all I know is that the 125 group had the reputation for being a professional outfit and it's sad to see a partnership end in this way.

On a positive however now that the 125 Group will be getting their own power cars in the near future they will be able to use their experience gained on 41001 to look after them.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
S508 was a Porterbrook engine and was donated to the NRM by them - nothing to do with FGW.
If you say so, I was only going by the quote from the 125 Group in the Rail article.

S508 is also a Paxman Valenta engine, manufactured in 2000 and donated to the NRM by First Great Western during the MTU re-power programme,” says 125 Group Communications Director John Zabernik.

Amlag

I can somewhat understand why some of the die hard enthusiasts are more than willing to jump on the Anti NRM band wagon. The way they have handled a number of recent issues ranging from the deaccession of a number locomotives to withdrawing it's diesels from the mainline means they aren't exactly oozing in credibility at the moment. Their recent statement was strongly worded even if true, all I know is that the 125 group had the reputation for being a professional outfit and it's sad to see a partnership end in this way.

On a positive however now that the 125 Group will be getting their own power cars in the near future they will be able to use their experience gained on 41001 to look after them.

Should others, such as the Swanage Rly where major fund raising is in progress to restore the Nation's/NRM's L&SWR T3 4-4-0 loco to working order, now be especially concerned ?

theblackwatch

Established Member
Should others, such as the Swanage Rly where major fund raising is in progress to restore the Nation's/NRM's L&SWR T3 4-4-0 loco to working order, now be especially concerned ?

No - the T3 does not belong to the NRM. It was donated to the Swanage Railway in 2017.

xotGD

Established Member
Hi All,

Thought I'd share this image of ADB975813, as it was by then, at Derby in February 1987. The one that got away...

ADB975813.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.