• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Psychometric tests

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inversnecky

As an outsider to the profession, I’ve been intrigued to read about driver applicants needing to take these.

What exactly are they and what is their purpose? The term sounds like it’s designed to pick up psychopathic tendencies, or to root out those prone to aggression or anger and liable to make errors of judgment?

Is there an example somewhere that I can see what it involves?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ILoveLamp

As an outsider to the profession, I’ve been intrigued to read about driver applicants needing to take these.

What exactly are they and what is their purpose? The term sounds like it’s designed to pick up psychopathic tendencies, or to root out those prone to aggression or anger and liable to make errors of judgment?

I think you may be being swayed by the ‘psycho’ part to the name here and going off on a tangent. Google psychometric tests and you will see there are many uses for these type of tests to help evaluate a candidate’s suitability for many a job role. In this case, for train driver, I’d say it is looking for certain reactions, skills and safety related judgements that someone can then be chosen to enter training to be a driver. Being calm and being able to make the correct decision is possibly a better way of describing one of the skills. I’m sure someone can perhaps articulate this better than me. I hope this helps..

Mattydo

I come from and aviation background and indeed many airlines use psychometric testing to route out particular traits considered undesirable for their roles. Not the extremes you mentioned but for example natural rebelliousness, inability to work with others etc. These are personality tests and not at all similar to those mentioned frequently here.

In one I had for example, you were given 500 which do you prefer type questions. One was “flowers or gun”. Designed to make you overthink but in reality to discover if you are creative or technically minded.

In aviation we then have Psychomotor testing which is far similar to what the OPC test in that I’m they are designed to seek out innate ability to perform the task for which you are applying. Concentration, hand eye coordination, work under pressure etc. The pilot ones were obviously more swayed towards coordination and dexterity than train driver ones but their underlying purpose is similar.

Highlandspring

Established Member
They’re also a very effective way of cutting down numbers to a manageable level.

Status
Not open for further replies.