• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

psychometrics/ group bourdon

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajc1988

hi everyone. Just joined the forum after browsing it for a while. Found some really good advice on here so far and been for driver 4 times now. This is first time i have passed interview.

Got psychometric's on Wednesday and been told i will be doing group bourdon, tea occ and trp 1 and 2.

Been practicing on both the app and printed version of the dots and also the practice book they send out. Roughly getting between 9 and 10 lines per sheet with between 0-3 omissions and no errors on my practices. Anyone know how this is likely to score? I am dyslexic so probably likely to be a little slower than other people but any advice is appreciated.

Andy

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richfoz84

You want to be roughly 11 lines, 0 mistakes & no omissions to be safe of a pass (based on my recent efforts)

LCC106

Established Member
Roughly getting between 9 and 10 lines per sheet with between 0-3 omissions and no errors on my practices. Anyone know how this is likely to score? I am dyslexic so probably likely to be a little slower than other people but any advice is appreciated.

Andy
Sounds positive to me. Have you told them that you have dyslexia? You may be allowed more time or other allowances for the tests. If not, let them know ASAP. Don’t practice the day before - give yourself a well earned break and good luck!

ajc1988

Sounds positive to me. Have you told them that you have dyslexia? You may be allowed more time or other allowances for the tests. If not, let them know ASAP. Don’t practice the day before - give yourself a well earned break and good luck!

Thanks for the replies and yes they are aware im dyslexic as i have worked for the company for 12 years. I did psychometric's for dispatching and got extra time for them so i am hoping this will be the same but will find out i have asked the question but haven't had response yet.

Andy

PearoTheHero

Why would they allow someone extra time if theyre dyslexic? It makes no sense. The course is quite intense with a lot of learning, revision, and a lot of assessments (2-3 per week)

LCC106

Established Member
Dyslexia can be classed as a disability and therefore under the equality act there is a requirement to make reasonable adjustments. I don’t know much about it myself. 2 to 3 assessments a week? Not in my experience! At least not every week! As far as I understand it sometimes people may just need a bit longer to absorb information. It also depends to what degree / how severe it is. Perhaps others would be willing to share their experiences?

PearoTheHero

Hang on a minute. I'm grateful for my health and believe in equality where possible but the online, stage 1 and stage 2 assessments are strict for a reason. A trainee train driver needs to absorb a lot of information over a relatively short period of time, and to be able to recall some of that at very short notice if it's all going wrong, practically and verbally. If someone isn't capable of learning in this fashion then I can't see how they would cope (personally).

This is not a dig at anyone with any kind of disability but were talking about a huge level of responsibility here.

I'm on course at the moment LCC106 and yes...2 to 3 assessments per week during core rules. Out of interest, what is your experience??

LCC106

Established Member
Honestly can’t remember the whole experience but it was about 15/16 weeks in classroom (2 weeks front ending, 1 week PTS, some time looking at traction on depot and coupling/uncoupling). Maybe it wasn’t as bad for us as it was spread across a few months. 6 weeks though? That’s the length the shunter drivers were with us and they only did rules relevant to their jobs, PTS, traction, updating WONS, PONS etc. Sounds like they’re cramming a lot in to a short time now! Your minds must be blown!

PearoTheHero

It's not all in 6 weeks, my bad, I might not have been clear. Started early Jan, so about 11 weeks in and almost at the end of Rules. Next is traction for approx 4 weeks then the handling starts. Start to finish approx 9-12 months depending on your DI.

I want to wish the original poster luck with the assessments. Please let us know how you get on

ajc1988

hi everyone. so the assements were cancelled due to the coronavirus to be re arranged at a later date. not been on for a few days as we have had a lot going on with work.

Why would they allow someone extra time if theyre dyslexic? It makes no sense. The course is quite intense with a lot of learning, revision, and a lot of assessments (2-3 per week)

Hang on a minute. I'm grateful for my health and believe in equality where possible but the online, stage 1 and stage 2 assessments are strict for a reason. A trainee train driver needs to absorb a lot of information over a relatively short period of time, and to be able to recall some of that at very short notice if it's all going wrong, practically and verbally. If someone isn't capable of learning in this fashion then I can't see how they would cope (personally).

This is not a dig at anyone with any kind of disability but were talking about a huge level of responsibility here.

I'm on course at the moment LCC106 and yes...2 to 3 assessments per week during core rules. Out of interest, what is your experience??

It's not all in 6 weeks, my bad, I might not have been clear. Started early Jan, so about 11 weeks in and almost at the end of Rules. Next is traction for approx 4 weeks then the handling starts. Start to finish approx 9-12 months depending on your DI.

I want to wish the original poster luck with the assessments. Please let us know how you get on

Pearo thanks for your input. dyslexia is classed as a disability which means they need to insert things to make sure people with the condition are not disadvantaged in certain situations. like i said in my original post i dont know if i get extra time for these tests but i did for dispatch ones either way i will give them my best shot.

The difference between the test and the course is during the course i can always ask for extra help if i am struggling with something or stay behind after others have left whereas with the tests i cant. For an example last time i was tested for it i was in the bottom 15% of the country for my reading speed and bottom 25% for my writing speed. obviously this puts me at a big disadvantage when it comes to speed testing involving reading or writing.

As for taking in large amounts of information in and been able to recall it i dont have an issue with that and can do it really easily. I passed my dispatch course with 100% and have passed my 3 sets of rules since then without having to be prompted for any answers so i am not worried regarding that one bit. Like i said thanks for your input though

Twotwo

I know someone who did between 8-9 lines and passed enhanced. So what your doing is very good. Maybe try slowing down a little bit so that you get 0 ommisions. Best of luck.

Komma

I know someone who did between 8-9 lines and passed enhanced. So what your doing is very good. Maybe try slowing down a little bit so that you get 0 ommisions. Best of luck.
Best advice so far and good luck.

DRS66421

hi everyone. Just joined the forum after browsing it for a while. Found some really good advice on here so far and been for driver 4 times now. This is first time i have passed interview.

Got psychometric's on Wednesday and been told i will be doing group bourdon, tea occ and trp 1 and 2.

Been practicing on both the app and printed version of the dots and also the practice book they send out. Roughly getting between 9 and 10 lines per sheet with between 0-3 omissions and no errors on my practices. Anyone know how this is likely to score? I am dyslexic so probably likely to be a little slower than other people but any advice is appreciated.

Andy
Can you tell me what the app is? I’m constantly trying to get my foot in the door. I too am Dyslexic and a past experience I was not given extra time. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.