• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

PTS Cards or courses

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSD

Does anyone know where training can be done for a PTS card? The company I work for won't spend the money out for training as they see it as not worthwhile, i live in the northwest so if anyone can help with contact details, as i intend to do this course off my own back, i would be very grateful

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
If you require a PTS your company will provide you with a training course. If they do not, it probably means that you don't need a PTS.

AFAIK you have to be "sponsored" to to a PTS course and have to belong to an appropriate company.

rail-britain

Established Member
However, if your role does require a PTS and the employer fails to renew it...
If the employee knows they should have one then they can be equally liable (in the event of a H&S breach and investigation)

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
There is no breach of H&S because if the PTS was out of date, the employee should refuse to work where it is needed. Of course if the organisation is making you work without one then that is a serious matter.

First class

Established Member
Do rail staff on here think that holding a PTS card may make them more 'attractive' for prospective roles, e.g. guard, trainee driver etc?

If you already hold one, then surely it is going to benefit your application?

not really as for guards and drivers roles will require you to be recertified so that it needs renewing at the same time and it only takes two days.

ive never needed it but this is just my opinion

E&W Lucas

Established Member
Does anyone know where training can be done for a PTS card? The company I work for won't spend the money out for training as they see it as not worthwhile, i live in the northwest so if anyone can help with contact details, as i intend to do this course off my own back, i would be very grateful

Try http://www.amtrain.co.uk/

HOWEVER - you do normally need a sponsor, as indicated above.

For heaven's sake don't go and do a PTS course in the vain hope of getting a driver's post. It won't help you in the slightest, as the subject is covered as part of the training programme.

navydavy1968

not really as for guards and drivers roles will require you to be recertified so that it needs renewing at the same time and it only takes two days.

ive never needed it but this is just my opinion

I agree mate, the company will build in your PTS as part of your induction when you first join if your job requires it.

Both companies I've joined have had me PTS qualified within the first few weeks of joining.

Old Timer

Established Member
Train Crew PTS is different to an Infrastructure PTS, as train crew do not work on the Infrastructure and therefore do not get involved in Red/Green Zone working, fences, etc

The Snap

Established Member
As has already been said, if your company won't provide you with a PTS course, then your role probably doesn't require it. It is their responsibility to ensure employees have the relevant safety tickets before working (however it is the employee's responsibility to ensure they have the relevant ticket before actually doing any work).

Train Crew PTS is different to an Infrastructure PTS, as train crew do not work on the Infrastructure and therefore do not get involved in Red/Green Zone working, fences, etc

And are also not required to abide by the Infrastructure PTS PPE requirements. An orange vest will suffice I believe? Out of interest, do drivers have to wear steel toe and mid-sole boots?

Legzr1

Not correct.

These issues are covered in the Rule book so drivers need to have a working knowledge of them.

Freight drivers working trains on T3 possessions also have to work/walk on lines operating red/green zones.

Rich said:
And are also not required to abide by the Infrastructure PTS PPE requirements. An orange vest will suffice I believe? Out of interest, do drivers have to wear steel toe and mid-sole boots?

It seems some people think 'train driver' means someone at the front of passenger trains ;)

PTS covers everything that anyone 'on the line' needs to know.

PPE for freight drivers includes HV clothing,hard hat,eye protection,safety footwear,gloves etc etc.

Old Timer

Established Member
Because traincrew should only ordinarily be walking on authorised walking routes, only steel toecap protection is deemed necessary, although midsole protection may be specified in Company standards.

Safety helmets are only required for train crew who are walking through engineering sites, although the agreed protocol between the Infrastructure Contractors and the FOCs is that all train crew make themselves known at the site access point BEFORE entering the worksite so that proper arrangements can be made for their safety if necessary.

Traincrew working trains in, are obviously met by the ES and given appropriate instructions

Traincrews should not under any circumstances leave their locos and walk onto the site until they have obtained permission from the ES or Site Manager, who if necessary will make arrangements for them to be accompanied by the authorised safe site route.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Not correct.

These issues are covered in the Rule book so drivers need to have a working knowledge of them.

Freight drivers working trains on T3 possessions also have to work/walk on lines operating red/green zones.
Trained in understanding the various fencing arrangements, e.g. heights, support arrangements, that create the various Zones ? TOWS, ATWS, PeeWee, ? Working with plant and OTMs ? safe use of tools, excavating, use of CAT scanners, etc, etc. These are all pass/fail questions for Sentinel PTS.

The FOCs do not use the Sentinel scheme, which is specific to Infrastructure staff and in any case the recent modifications to the Rule Books have removed infrastructure items into Handbook No.1, which is not issued to train crew.

Whilst a FOC trainer may give some advice on these matters, unless you are going ontot he Sentinel database, you will not be using the Sentinel training course and examination papers. This why Infrastructure OTM Operators/Drivers are trained through the Sentinel scheme.

The Snap

Established Member
PPE for freight drivers includes HV clothing,hard hat,eye protection,safety footwear,gloves etc etc.

I always wondered why 66 drivers have hard hats stuffed down behind the desk between it and the window! :lol: Makes sense now.

GB

Established Member
FOC drivers are required to wear either a bump cap or hard hat when anywhere below "sole bar" level...this includes coupling and uncoupling, they are also required to wear hard hats at other places such as terminals not just within worksites....hence why you will often see hats in the cab.

Legzr1

Safety helmets are only required for train crew who are walking through engineering sites

Not quite.

Safety equipment is required anywhere site rules dictate - that could be a loading terminal,unloading facility,quarry,oil refinery,(hell, even a canteen if the rules dictate ;))

Trained in understanding the various fencing arrangements, e.g. heights, support arrangements, that create the various Zones ? TOWS, ATWS, PeeWee, ? Working with plant and OTMs ? safe use of tools, excavating, use of CAT scanners, etc, etc. These are all pass/fail questions for Sentinel PTS.

Obviously not but my answer was in response to your original post :

therefore do not get involved in Red/Green Zone working

Perhaps traincrew don't need an intimate understanding of the exact shade of colour of temporary fencing used but you have to agree that a basic knowledge of the workings isn't just useful but actually essential.

The FOCs do not use the Sentinel scheme, which is specific to Infrastructure staff and in any case the recent modifications to the Rule Books have removed infrastructure items into Handbook No.1, which is not issued to train crew.

Yes,i'll concede that point (even though drivers in this area received ammendments for this handbook recently :D)

Rich said:
I always wondered why 66 drivers have hard hats stuffed down behind the desk between it and the window! Makes sense now.

Only safe place to put it to stop vibrations turning it into a tuning fork or to stop it bouncing around the cab :D

PSD

The reason i asked the question about PTS cards was, the TOC that i work for advertised for shunters, & basically went through the motions, but knew exactly who they wanted, & the job went to someone externally who had a PTS card, so that they would'nt have to spend the money on training the internal member of staff who had been successful

GB

Established Member
There is no seperate PTS course for traincrew, it is all catered for in your initial training and your rules exams.

Perhaps it wasn't the fact the other person had a valid PTS that got him the post but rather proof that the chap and exprience in this area?

CarterUSM

Established Member
There is no seperate PTS course for traincrew, it is all catered for in your initial training and your rules exams.

Perhaps it wasn't the fact the other person had a valid PTS that got him the post but rather proof that the chap and exprience in this area?

I'd agree with that, though it could also have been interview performance. No offence to the OP! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.