• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Public Poll - Discussion of your vote

Ban users from revealing which photo they voted for?

• Yes

Votes: 17 42.5%
  • No

Votes: 23 57.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
im undecided about this one i guess if noone say what they voted for it sorta add to the tension and will make it a suprise for the winner but on the other hand if someone posts what they voted for by accdent (somehow i dont know how but somehow) then its a bit unfair banning them. however i do feel that my first point is better

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

william

Established Member
From a photographers point of view I think comments/discussion should be allowed as it provides feedback on their work. I can think of nothing more disheartening than entering every week and getting zero votes without any feedback at all.
As for the issue of voting for the wrong reasons, I say people vote for what they like, whatever the reason. At least by having a discussion the reasons behind voting can be openly discussed and through this sharing of experience and information, voters can make a more educated decision.

EE Type 3

Established Member
As a professional photographer I never enter the competition on this forum because of the discussion and I voted for this... comments. Also find that forum based competitions are based not on the photo quality but the traction or place the photograph is taken so more of a picture of the week rather than a photo competition.

Only an Idea..........
Moving it forward, maybe select a judging panel who judge the photos based on the catergory, technique, ligthing etc and award the winner with a guest appearance on the judging panel for the next week and selects the next catergory.

I'm in agreement with you, I've also stopped entering for the same reason. People voting for traction, not the photo in it's entity.

A panel of judges would be good IMO.

Jordy

Established Member
I've had plans for a Photo of the Month competition for a while (as a seperate thing) but it got sidelined being somewhat pointless.

However, the idea of a POTM competition with a panel of judges may be interesting, with POTW staying as it is would that suit anyone?

Gizmogle

Established Member
I never vote for traction!

I always vote for what is (in my opinion) the best photo :)

David

Established Member

Sorry, but I'm going to disagree with you there. Several times I've seen you vote for a photo which is (yet) another full sun 3/4 shot involving certain traction, when there is a photo from a slightly different angle showing more detail, but without the traction gets ignored.

I know this seems I'm singling you out, and in a way, I am. But that's because your the only person (so far) who has said anything about not voting for traction. I've noticed several other people do the same as well, so your not alone.

ladysue

I've had plans for a Photo of the Month competition for a while (as a seperate thing) but it got sidelined being somewhat pointless.

However, the idea of a POTM competition with a panel of judges may be interesting, with POTW staying as it is would that suit anyone?

That sounds a good idea if its not too much extra work for you.

Craig

Established Member
I find that Craig tends to be one of those, and it would seem that I usually vote for his photos. This isn't intentional, his pictures are just quite often the best.

:oops:

I just vote for the photo I like the best, providing it fits the theme. I also like a photo that's technically good, but obviously this isn't always possible. Sometimes I don't bother voting if there's nothing I like.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Might be an idea. Who would the panel consist of?

Gizmogle

Established Member
Sorry, but I'm going to disagree with you there. Several times I've seen you vote for a photo which is (yet) another full sun 3/4 shot involving certain traction, when there is a photo from a slightly different angle showing more detail, but without the traction gets ignored.

I know this seems I'm singling you out, and in a way, I am. But that's because your the only person (so far) who has said anything about not voting for traction. I've noticed several other people do the same as well, so your not alone.

I said the best photo in my opinion.

I definitely don't think "Ooh, a class 37 - I'll vote for that photo."
If I do vote for 3/4 full sun photos, then maybe that's just because they're the best in my opinon.

me123

Established Member
I can identify alot of people just by their photos anyway :p

Same. For example, LaSeandre is about the only person who'll upload trains in the SPT area, or in the SPT livery... (Not picking on you here, just that I can always tell that they're yours, especially as I have some degree of local knowledge).

I think, to an extent, that traction will often come into it. Some people would say that a certain train is more "photogenic" than another and therefore produces the best picture. Let's face it, a steam train at Kings Cross compared to the exact same photo, but of a 313; the steam shot's going to be more impressive, so I imagine this comes into it to a degree whether intentional or otherwise.

Phoenix

Established Member

I agree that a panel of judges would be best.

Gizmogle

Established Member
Same. For example, LaSeandre is about the only person who'll upload trains in the SPT area, or in the SPT livery... (Not picking on you here, just that I can always tell that they're yours, especially as I have some degree of local knowledge).

Ah, I don't go by area. Certain members' photos just have a "feel" to them.

Jordy

Established Member
:oops:

I just vote for the photo I like the best, providing it fits the theme. I also like a photo that's technically good, but obviously this isn't always possible. Sometimes I don't bother voting if there's nothing I like.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Might be an idea. Who would the panel consist of?

I don't know as yet, hopefully a more 'professional' photographer or two, along with me so I can organise things.

I'll set up another poll/opinions thread relating to that at some point tomorrow, but if anyone has an immediate interest in being on the panel (you wouldn't be able to enter a photo sadly) then let me know and i'll have a look. Could possibly rotate the panel around, ie you only judge every 2 or 3 months, allowing you to enter at other times, again i'm open to ideas!

Jordy

Phoenix

Established Member
I don't know as yet, hopefully a more 'professional' photographer or two, along with me so I can organise things.

I'll set up another poll/opinions thread relating to that at some point tomorrow, but if anyone has an immediate interest in being on the panel (you wouldn't be able to enter a photo sadly) then let me know and i'll have a look. Could possibly rotate the panel around, ie you only judge every 2 or 3 months, allowing you to enter at other times, again i'm open to ideas!

Jordy

Well It could be decided based number of competitions won by a person or the person who gets the most comments of their photo threads.
I know four people I would elect for the role.

EE type 3
Mumrar
Andrewmay
Craig

All of which are I feel push their photography to new levels on daily basis and all are knowledgeable in this field and obviously have been doing this longer than most.
(Btw this isn't me sucking up to any of the four) :D

Established Member
Any panel would have to represent the whole spread of railway interests on the forum rather than just 'the best photographers' though surely. There is more to railway phots than just the best one technically.

Phoenix

Established Member
Any panel would have to represent the whole spread of railway interests on the forum rather than just 'the best photographers' though surely. There is more to railway phots than just the best one technically.

True but it's picking members who are serious about railway photography and have spent time doing it as it ends up turning into traction biased or biased to those who are well liked on the forum and there photos are quite obviously theirs.
And yes there is more to a photo than if it is technically good it has to have atomsphere,feeling,history or even a good caption to go with it.

EE Type 3

Established Member

My thoughts exactly.

I reckon we should have a poll (polls about a poll, whatever next? :lol:) on who should be the initial judges, maybe people can nominate forum users for the poll?

Dave

Gizmogle

Established Member
But then people like Craig often enter photos, so what happens if the judges come to judge a competition with their own entry...

EE Type 3

Established Member
But then people like Craig often enter photos, so what happens if the judges come to judge a competition with their own entry...

He then votes for the photo which he thinks should deserve to win. If it is his, then there shouldn't be a problem really should there?

Established Member
I don't agree with a panel. Its supposed to be a forum 'competition', so if its not being voted for by the forum members seems a bit of a waste of time to me. You risk creating a two-tier system otherwise and the prejudices, however subconcious, of just a few members rule the day rather than being everyone having input.

Gizmogle

Established Member
Fair enough, but I don't think you can really do that without being biased. It's very hard to judge your own work, as you can't really see it in the eyes of another person, if that makes sense.

EE Type 3

Established Member
I don't agree with a panel. Its supposed to be a forum 'competition', so if its not being voted for by the forum members seems a bit of a waste of time to me. You risk creating a two-tier system otherwise and the prejudices, however subconcious, of just a few members rule the day rather than being everyone having input.

I think the plan was to retain the weekly competition, which could be voted for by everyone, and to have a monthly one, with Judges.

Phoenix

Established Member
Could always just what's been said and do the normal competition with changes made from this poll and then create a new monthly comp with the new judging sounds like a plan.

curly42

I almost like the idea of a p.o.t.m. but I'm concerned about the judging.I'm not sure about who's going to pick the judges.The job sounds like fun at first,but having been involved in this sort of thing over a very long period of time,I'm all too aware that it's not the bed of roses it seems.
One of the main issues is that I feel it will soon become a competition for relatively few members who are,shall we say,less photographically challenged than others.Does it have enough interest to hold the attention of the forum members who are less interested in the technical aspects of the picture,and just like what they see ?
I see a lot of posts naming this person or that person as a great photographer whos work I don't rate at all.I know a lot of it is personal choice but I feel that the p.o.t.m. could soon become bogged down in technical arguments and lose its appeal.
Believe me,there's nothing more boring than dealing with a so-called expert whos knowledge has come from two books he borrowed from the local library - I've been doing this for almost 50 years (and no,I don't claim to be great at it) and there's a lot more to it than quoting the rule of thirds.

Richmond

I almost like the idea of a p.o.t.m. but I'm concerned about the judging.I'm not sure about who's going to pick the judges.The job sounds like fun at first,but having been involved in this sort of thing over a very long period of time,I'm all too aware that it's not the bed of roses it seems.
One of the main issues is that I feel it will soon become a competition for relatively few members who are,shall we say,less photographically challenged than others.Does it have enough interest to hold the attention of the forum members who are less interested in the technical aspects of the picture,and just like what they see ?
I see a lot of posts naming this person or that person as a great photographer whos work I don't rate at all.I know a lot of it is personal choice but I feel that the p.o.t.m. could soon become bogged down in technical arguments and lose its appeal.
Believe me,there's nothing more boring than dealing with a so-called expert whos knowledge has come from two books he borrowed from the local library - I've been doing this for almost 50 years (and no,I don't claim to be great at it) and there's a lot more to it than quoting the rule of thirds.

Agree with these comments 100%,I see loads of people commenting on images that I feel are just the run of the mill photographs and then I see some exceptional images where very few even bother to comment. The judging panel needs to be well thought out with key objectives for scoring the image. Each judge will need to score independantly before the whole thing is bought together to select the winner.

eezypeazy

I'm sorry, but I just can't see the "panel of judges" approach working. I'm not really interested in trying to win the approval of a small band of individuals, whatever their credentials. I'd rather the whole membership participate in choosing the winning pictures.

Besides, aren't we all starting to lose sight of a fundamental truth; which is, this is meant to be just for fun! And if, at the same time, it encourages us to take better photographs (however that is defined), then so much the better!

Regards to all,

eezypeazy

Craig

Established Member
I know four people I would elect for the role.

EE type 3
Mumrar
Andrewmay
Craig

All of which are I feel push their photography to new levels on daily basis and all are knowledgeable in this field and obviously have been doing this longer than most.
(Btw this isn't me sucking up to any of the four) :D

I'm flattered, but I'm not sure if I'd be interested in judging a competition. Unless a very strict judging criteria was introduced I think we'd end up with accusations of favouritism or we'd end up spending a month debating who's photo is the best :lol:

Perhaps a rolling panel of judges would be better? Say the previous winner and a couple of others (not sure how they'd be chosen though) and maybe a caveat that the previous winner can't enter again/or win for a certain number of months? Even then I'm not sure how well it would work.

Jordy

Established Member
Thats fine, i'm not rushing into anything here and would rather get some opinions before I do anything!

Jordy

Established Member
Majority decision: No, the discussion of your vote will not be banned

I'll set up a poll regarding POTM and other stuff at some point tomorrow, if people want to put forward any other ideas, please feel free!

Status
Not open for further replies.