• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Public Relations Manager of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schnellzug

Established Member
I was browsing through the Dorset Echo website, and one of the stories was the usual load of flannel from the Council about the Olympic Sailing Events.

(here --> http://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/95...Portland_during_Olympic_Games_slammed/?ref=mr )

Among the usual delusions ("60,000 visitors a day are expected to flock to the free Live Site on Weymouth beach!" :roll: ), what caught my eye was this from one Duncan Flint, public relations manager for the Weymouth and Portland 2012 Operations Team (:roll:), who really should be up for an Award at the next Public Relations Industry annual awards.

“The Games are coming here whether you like it or not, you can do nothing about it and moan about it or do something about it and seize this opportunity.”

Sheer genius. :roll:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Am I right in thinking that when the transport matters for the Olympic Games in London were being discussed, someone made a suggestion that commuters should not use public transport to go to work, which will free up this for visitors to the Games. I am sure that any companies with employees involved over that period would be absolutely horrified by this suggestion.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
“The Games are coming here whether you like it or not, you can do nothing about it and moan about it or do something about it and seize this opportunity.”

I applaud his honesty. ;)

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Just think.....if France had been given the Olympic Games, none of these transport problems would be affecting any part of Britain and we could be geting on with life as normal. It is like the political Party Conferences. Hold them in seaside resorts by all means but when they are held in large cities, the transport disruption to the commuters in those areas is horrendous.

jon0844

Veteran Member
If we didn't get the games, are there any projects that wouldn't have gone ahead? Surely there are quite a few, or at least many that wouldn't have received funding as easily.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
If we didn't get the games, are there any projects that wouldn't have gone ahead? Surely there are quite a few, or at least many that wouldn't have received funding as easily.

But don't you find it amazing that the costs of so much infrastructural work should all go on something that lasts such a very short length of time. Look at all the other projects that the country as a whole would have benefited from if those monies would have been diverted elsewhere....if the Treasury had actually allowed these to proceed under the financial stringencies that currently apply. Even in these days of financial and fiscal considerations, we should have just told the Olympic Organising Body...."Sorry, matters have changed, as you well know. It is no use telling us that Sport is considered exterior to World Problems as that is the most fatuous statement ever to be made!"

Schnellzug

Established Member

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

Oh yes, West Ham will have the most unnecessarily enormous stadium of any football club in London. Oh, and there'll be a new music venue in the Handball Arena, I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.