• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pubs - Manchester Bank Holiday Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Hello,

Can anyone suggest some decent pubs in Manchester ( i know there are loads) but I want to try some that aren't on my usual list. I arrive at Piccadilly at 10:30 and will want to head up to the pub meet near the ground ( Moston) from Victoria at about 13:30

The only rules are:

• chav free
  • sell men's ale
  • be within easy travelling distance by public transport of the main stations
  • not vastly trendy ( looking at you Brew Dog!)
  • allow sitting down and a chat ( no banging techno mucic )

Food is an optional ( but gratefully received) extra! I know you wont let me down! As I am with others pottering about on the train or wandering aimlessly isn't an option sadly!

cheers

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theblackwatch

Established Member
I'd suggest the Bulls Head - only a couple of minutes away from Man Picc station, but away from the crowds/city as you access it via the exit to Metrolink. See website at http://thebullsheadpiccadillymanchester.co.uk/about-us/

Whether it'll be quiet on Monday, with it being a Bank Holiday, Manchester Pride and a football match, I'm not sure - don't blame me if it's busy!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
god - is it Manchester Pride? There goes any hope of a quiet pint!

PS I know the Bulls head but havent been in for a while

EDIT - phew the Parade is on Saturday. No issues with the pride festival just not really in the mood for it tbh!

Last edited:

RJ21

If it was me doing a pub trip, Port Street Beer House (expensive, a bit trendy but good ale), Crown & Kettle (Great Ancoats St), Angel (Oldham Road) give Marble a miss it's a bit of a walk up Oldham Rd (though worth it) but that is on a bus route back to Victoria, Bar Fringe over the road from the Crown & Kettle is good, and I believe the Smithfield a little further up towards the Angel is back on form now it has been taken over by one of the Manchester brewers.

Gullivers on Oldham Street isn't bad (I go there for live music every so often) it's a Lees pub so you'll only get Lees but there's nothing wrong with MPA. The one I've never been in is the Castle on Oldham St, it went down hill a bit but I believe is ok again.

And for something a little different there is the microbar in the Arndale food area off High Street. There are others close to Victoria but I haven't really been in many of them.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Not of any use to you on this visit, but if you are up this way in the future and time permits, drop off the local train at Heaton Chapel and a five minute stroll from the station in the direction of the A6 will bring you to a little gem called "Heaton Hops" lager swilling chav free and more craft beers than you can shake a stick at, check it out on Trip Advisor.

Last edited:
I was in Manchester last weekend for a gig and stumbled across a proper old pub called The Unicorn which would seem to meet your criteria. Down a side road near Afflecks Palace. Had a decent couple of pints of Bass and a chat with the locals.

They even had a bowl of peanuts on the bar, which I thought was a tradition long, long since passed!

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
It's a good few years since I was in there, but the Britons Protection behind the Bridgewater Hall down the end of Deansgate was always good for a whiskey and real ale or ten.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
cheers chaps - we will check some out.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
We went in the Britons Protection & Peveril of the Peak - both superb. Thanks for the tip offs.

BTW is the Sir Ralph Abercromby still open. I heard it was getting knocked down for some Giggs/Neville property development.

Status
Not open for further replies.