• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pumpkin cafes closed for good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dk1

Veteran Member
Given how busy Pret is (in normal times), the customers can’t all be on pop star wages. The Euston
Road branch is often full of RMT officers...
Pret is very average in cost in my opinion with filter coffee available for 89/99p across the UK.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Brush 4

I like the Columbian coffee, although I can't remember whether that is Pumpkin or Upper Crust. Quite enjoyed Travellers fare as well. The plain cups in what might be Duck Egg green colour. Coffee, milk or no milk, no other choices. A ham sandwich with just ham and thinly spread butter, nothing else. Ah, consumer choice, unheard of then......

dk1

Veteran Member
Quite enjoyed Travellers fare as well. The plain cups in what might be Duck Egg green colour. Coffee, milk or no milk, no other choices. A ham sandwich with just ham and thinly spread butter, nothing else. Ah, consumer choice, unheard of then......
And then Pru Leith got involved...

dk1

Veteran Member
For coffee, Pret is cheap. £1 was the going rate in the 1990s.
Certainly is & when you visit 2-3 times a day it soon mounts up. Hopefully the outlet opposite Cambridge station will be open today at 15:00. Been 89p or even free there lately with a barcode.

AM9

Veteran Member
(Casey Jones)

On privatisation they became Burger King franchises. I remember Casey Jones. For a young teenager they were the 'must have' food to accompany a rail roving day!
I remember those and on more than one occasion enjoyed their 'doner burgers'. They made a pleasant change from the weird meat flavour of Macdonalds cardburger offering.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Certainly is & when you visit 2-3 times a day it soon mounts up. Hopefully the outlet opposite Cambridge station will be open today at 15:00. Been 89p or even free there lately with a barcode.

Or £20/ month all you can drink...

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

I think to be fair to them they're using it as a loss leader, i.e. if you go in for a cheap coffee you might upgrade to a more expensive one or buy something else at the same time.

It won't make a loss on "materials" but it wouldn't make money on its own.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Upper Crust and Punpkin used to be great on the O2 Priority £1 Monday lunch offer.

Unfortunately, a) that's not sustainable for a business and b) the offer expired around three years ago.

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
Well I’m sorry, but that’s your own fault. No one in their right mind would buy any beer at Wolverhampton Station (let alone Coors!) when the best beer in the world (Bathams) is available at the best pub in the world (the Great Western) next door.

Very decent cider too.

(Hmmm... any mileage in a "decent pubs a stone's throw from stations" thread?)

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Very decent cider too.

(Hmmm... any mileage in a "decent pubs a stone's throw from stations" thread?)
I'm sure there have been many already!

Indeed:

Plus loads of more local threads about ‘Pubs near x’

dk1

Veteran Member
I think to be fair to them they're using it as a loss leader, i.e. if you go in for a cheap coffee you might upgrade to a more expensive one or buy something else at the same time.

It won't make a loss on "materials" but it wouldn't make money on its own.
Of course and often pick up a baguette & crisps too. A recent trainee of money had to buy something everytime even if only a pastry. The idea definitely works.

Or £20/ month all you can drink...
I have considered it but dont think it would benefit me as always at varying locations not always with a Pret nearby.

johntea

Established Member
I always find McDonalds coffee beats the lot!

£1.49 for a regular (99p for 'standard' coffee) or £1.69 for a large (although I find they often fail to fill up the large enough to justify the 20p!) plus each 7th cup is free

You can go even further these days as if you buy the coffee on the app you collect virtual stickers for each purchase - 5 of those for a freebie and you'll still have the physical stickers too! So 7 coffees for the price of 5, although I suspect they'll drop the physical stickers at some point in the future due to the dodgy ones flooding a popular online auction site!

Trackman

Established Member
Upper Crust and Punpkin used to be great on the O2 Priority £1 Monday lunch offer.

Unfortunately, a) that's not sustainable for a business and b) the offer expired around three years ago.
I think Upper Crust did a freebie lunchtime once with 02 Priority.
I remember the queue at the station!

bspahh

Established Member
(Casey Jones)

On privatisation they became Burger King franchises. I remember Casey Jones. For a young teenager they were the 'must have' food to accompany a rail roving day!

This is from a Comic Relief with Ben Elton
There's people wondering, do have time enough to get themselves a coffee a cheese and tomato baguette. Great value 65 quid, nice one, and while you're there can you get me a triple thick shake from the Casey Jones big Mac Whopper dog burger and that industrial suction pump so I can get it up the straw.

davetheguard

Established Member
That's just below the belt mentioning Bathams when the pubs are now shut for a month and when I was lates this and last week....

They do have a brewery shop at their website & like most breweries will deliver to your front door. I know bottled beer is not the same......

och aye

Slightly off-topic but are The Pasty Shop's you see in many Network Rail stations owned by SSP as well?

Last edited:

route101

Established Member
Slightly off-topic but at The Pasty Shop's you see in many Network Rail stations owned by SSP as well?

Yeah, never tried them.

Only Pumpkin i can think of in Central Belt is at Haymarket, was closed the last time i passed.

Pumpkins had Worthingtons cans of beer, only place i still see that brand.

geoffk

Established Member
I use the Pumpkin at Manchester Oxford Road station occasionally for a coffee and still find it expensive even with the Bitecard discount, which I admit is not much now (5%) - but I see this is covered on another thread.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I use the Pumpkin at Manchester Oxford Road station occasionally for a coffee and still find it expensive even with the Bitecard discount, which I admit is not much now (5%) - but I see this is covered on another thread.

Blimey, I've not seen that one open for years. I'd assumed it had shut ages ago !

FQTV

The Pumpkin at Carlisle Station is in a beautiful and reasonably original part of the station - I assume that it’s one of the original refreshment rooms there. The Pumpkin brand, products and service do it something of an insult.

I suspect that Darlington was probably similar, but is now all chipped Formica and suspended ceilings, which is at least in keeping with Pumpkin standards.

WestRiding

I wish there was a bigger emphasis on local independent food establishments on railway stations. Like Huddersfield. Rather than over priced microwave sausage sandwiches. Sheffield Pumpkin is dire, an embarrassment to a city station.

route101

Established Member
The Pumpkin at Carlisle Station is in a beautiful and reasonably original part of the station - I assume that it’s one of the original refreshment rooms there. The Pumpkin brand, products and service do it something of an insult.

I suspect that Darlington was probably similar, but is now all chipped Formica and suspended ceilings, which is at least in keeping with Pumpkin standards.

Keep forgetting that Pumpkin is there at Carlisle. Last time i had a pint in newish bar on other side in station.

Parallel

Established Member
The one at Plymouth was open when I was there a few weeks ago.
At Bath Spa all three of the platform outlets have closed (Pumpkin, Starbucks and Dashi) but a new outlet has opened in the concourse.

The one at Salisbury was closed last week but the Costa counter on the island platform was open. The one at Portsmouth Harbour was also closed.

I quite like Pumpkin to be honest. The choice is usually quite good and the paninis are quite nice. The hot chocolates are also very good in my opinion. I also like Express Cafe that operates from locations such as Chester, Banbury and Bridgend. Not as keen on Starbucks or Utterly Crusty.

Last edited:

Daniel740

On Moderation
To be frank I’m happy that these station cafes have closed. They’ve been taking advantage of travellers for far too long, hopefully going forward some reasonably priced alternatives will take their place.

Status
Not open for further replies.