• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

punishment details

Status
Not open for further replies.

girl traveller

i have just had my staff privilege card taken off me for altering a few of the dates.

i know this was a stupid thing to do and even though i had my reasons i do regret it.

i want to know what my punishment will be and also if my dad, who is employed by them, will be punished.

does anyone know what kind of punishments they give out and the likelyhood of me getting certain ones are

i havnt done anything like this before and have a clean record, my dad also has worked for the company (national rail) for over 30years and i do not want him to be affected by this in anyway, im 20yrs old so he has little control over my choices

any information will be greatly recieved!!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dai.

Established Member
As I don't work for the railways I can't say much about the punishments -

From a business point of view though I don't see why they would do anything to your dad because well, he was not involved in the offence and it was your choice to do it.

Outside of the railways abuse of certain powers within the business usually result in disciplinary action, this could be anything from a verbal warning to a written warning, as it's a first time offence I'd assume you'd get a written warning.

But I wouldn't worry about your dad in this issue.

fgwoll1e

This is from the ATOC Rail Staff Travel bit for Safeguarded staff, which I am assuming your dad is as you mention boxes.

"Such employees also have
absolute discretion as to whether they allow their dependants to enjoy
these facilities. Any person who is found to use improperly a travel
document, transfers or causes to be transferred such a document, or
attempts to do so, will be liable to prosecution, withdrawal of travel
facilities and, if an employee, to possible dismissal."

royaloak

Established Member
today I will mostly be at home decorating
You will almost definitely lose your entitlement, your whole family MAY lose their entitlement, your father , who is responsible for ensuring everyone uses the travel facilities correctly, MAY be disciplined by his employer or even sacked.

Hope you are happy with yourself!

As for being 20 you should know better!

theblackwatch

Established Member
Hopefully they will withdraw your staff privilege for good after you abused it. Most of us have to pay full fare, but even a staff discount wasn't enough for you and you wanted more.

Ivo

Established Member
I apologise for saying this (and will probably be flamed for apologising! :D), but actions such as this are why people my/our age have such a poor reputation in modern Britain. I hope that your father suffers no consequences, but you deserve to lose your privileges and should also receive some form of compensatory fine in my opinion.

Ferret

Established Member
Hopefully they will withdraw your staff privilege for good after you abused it. Most of us have to pay full fare, but even a staff discount wasn't enough for you and you wanted more.

As non-protected staff, it really does annoy me that there are people who contribute nothing to the railway and get boxes, whereas I get a PRIV card that only gives me discounts on full fare tickets - advance fares are usually cheaper! It's a complete farce of a system, and one which I'd hoped would be abolished. Still, it appears what I've read in both ASLEF's & RMT's respective comics about forcing the TOCs to introduce a fairer system is all hot air, despite my suspicion that a legal challenge under anti-discriminatory laws would probably be successful.

But anyway, I digress - when those that contribute sweet fa to the railway then abuse the priveleges which to me they should not be entitled to - well, that's beyond the pale. Still, act in haste, repent at leisure. I'd be very surprised if disciplinary action was taken against your father but you've got no chance of getting any more boxes. Reap what you sow!

Ivo - I suspect a TIR may have been filled out in which case a summons to court to receive a well deserved fine and criminal record will probably follow.

Old Timer

Established Member
i have just had my staff privilege card taken off me for altering a few of the dates.

i know this was a stupid thing to do and even though i had my reasons i do regret it.

i want to know what my punishment will be and also if my dad, who is employed by them, will be punished.

does anyone know what kind of punishments they give out and the likelyhood of me getting certain ones are

i havnt done anything like this before and have a clean record, my dad also has worked for the company (national rail) for over 30years and i do not want him to be affected by this in anyway, im 20yrs old so he has little control over my choices

Guys, whilst I can understand the feelings, the lady has asked for advice not sanction.

I anticipate that you will be subject to possible action for fare evasion.

As far as your father is concerned, he will shortly be receiving a letter from ATOC concerning the misuse of the facilities by yourself.

He may also be called to explain by his employer, although I doubt that any formal action would follow as he was not a party to it.

With regards to the future of travel facilities, I suspect that as a minimum you will lose your entitlement. Your family members may also lose their facilities, either for a period or permanently, it really does depend upon the way that ATOC see it.

I presume you are at University ? I ask because entitlement surely finishes at 18 unless a dependent is in full time education ?

Finally if you have not told your father, I suggest you do so asap.

girl traveller

i have told my dad yes. and i know i deserve punishment i just dont want my dad to as well as he has never done anything wrong. i'l take whatever comes to me as long as he is okay.

thank you for your responses

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
I do agree with the first part of OTs original post. :)

But as shes admitted on an internet forum theres bound to be a couple of complaints and you can't not agree with some of them either!

Old Timer

Established Member
I am giving her the benefit of the doubt that she has acted foolishly.

Young girls do silly things at times, even at 20, as anyone with a grown up daughter will testify !

There does seem to have been a large dose of Calvinistic idealism thrown around here. Personally I relate to the Pericope de Adultera, i.e. verses 7.53 to 8.11 of the Gospel of John (King James version).

Knowledge of the full facts might of course alter that, but then I do not have the full facts.

Chester025

Ooh, first class effing there! Seriously though, as someone with a 'privilege card' who gets plenty of use out of it I know how handy it is, and the consequences if it's abused. Don't bother, there's plenty off here who would love to be able to have such 'freedom' and free travel, so just be glad with what you've got!

dk1

Veteran Member
We used to have to hand them back prior to privatisation & you where then given your new boxes. The old ones would be inspected for fraud by the employee &/or family.

I value my travel & my job far too much to do anything illegal & save the dated box for longer trips preferably over the full 48hrs. I frequently buy priv rate tickets for this reason.

navydavy1968

There does seem to have been a large dose of Calvinistic idealism thrown around here. Personally I relate to the Pericope de Adultera, i.e. verses 7.53 to 8.11 of the Gospel of John (King James version).

I will wake up soon and realise this was all a crazy dream!;)

girl traveller

in my defence anybody of any age or sex can be silly and it was in desperation not silliness.

i had my card ruined by a family member before i had used it this year, i applied for a new 1 which crosses off all but 7 or 8 journeys.

my dissertation was on a local project which required a lot of going back and forth including a trip to london for primary research.
out of 6 boxes i had changed about 2 or 3 and 1 by accident, put the 26th when i was travelling to london overnight 27th-28th.

it was totally out of character for me and i have not onced complained about getting punished and the effects will hit me for the next 5 yrs and i have accepted this.

nobody is perfect and EVERYBODY makes mistakes and heaven forbids breaks the law however minor or major.

life is not just about not lieing (which everybody does) but also learning, reforming and forgiveness which people - as has been shown - are less inclined to show

TDK

Established Member

I have come across this twice before, misuse of privs, the first instace an employee misused his and was dismissed, the second case was similar to yours and the priv was removed form the empoyees family and the employee was formally warned in writing regarding the mis use. The warning was for 1 year and it quoted any further mis use by the employee or his family will be gross misconduct (dissmissable), as the priv was taken from his family this was not going to happen, the priv in fact was taken away so it didn't happen in my view.

You have done a silly thing that you deeply regret and it would not harm your father if you drafted out a letter in preparation in case he does get disciplined for him to produce at his hearing, just add the content in the letter that you have on here. I don't agree with the members of this forum slating you because in my opinion if you had realised the consequences regarding the risk to your fathers job I am sure you would't have done it. Good luck for you and your father.

Established Member
in my defence anybody of any age or sex can be silly and it was in desperation not silliness.

However, anyone else without a Priv card who was desperate would have to pay full fare. Sorry, but you don't have my sympathy. You knew what you were doing was wrong at the time and you should take the punishment for it.

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
I hope the OP is prosecuted for fraud :)

I hope your Dad escapes any punishment, as you're really old enough to think for yourself

Old Timer

Established Member
However, anyone else without a Priv card who was desperate would have to pay full fare. Sorry, but you don't have my sympathy. You knew what you were doing was wrong at the time and you should take the punishment for it.
I think you will find she has already accepted that to be the case.

Established Member
Rather unfortunate that she didn't accept that before doing what she did. I know that she feels remorse now, but the same situation applies to anyone say jumping a barrier or using an child ticket when they have no right to.

TTI

Why is it that these people are only "sorry" and "didn't mean it" when they get caught.
Dependents Staff Travel Passes are the ones most commonly associated with fraud, misuse, etc. Staff tend not to mis-use them for fear of dismissal.

"If you do the crime..then you gotta do the time"

ungreat

Why is it that these people are only "sorry" and "didn't mean it" when they get caught.
Dependents Staff Travel Passes are the ones most commonly associated with fraud, misuse, etc. Staff tend not to mis-use them for fear of dismissal.

"If you do the crime..then you gotta do the time"

You lot make me laugh...ok,shes been caught and held her hands up.Fair cop.

A lot on here are spotters,and have sneaked around depots without asking and haven't got caught,been on platforms without a ticket,sneaked cab rides,have keys you shouldnt have etc etc..Yet you get all sanctimonious when a staff members daughter gets caught,misusing her travel facilities,admittedly wrongly.At least she admitted it!

Good luck lass,and hope it all goes well.Yeah,you shouldn't have done it,but hey,lifes for learning!

CarterUSM

Established Member
I'm with you ungreat. Harsh lesson, but it isn't the end of the world. Though your Father may say different if he loses his travel facilities. :)

theblackwatch

Established Member
You lot make me laugh...ok,shes been caught and held her hands up.Fair cop.

A lot on here are spotters,and have sneaked around depots without asking and haven't got caught,been on platforms without a ticket,sneaked cab rides,have keys you shouldnt have etc etc..Yet you get all sanctimonious when a staff members daughter gets caught,misusing her travel facilities,admittedly wrongly.At least she admitted it!

Good luck lass,and hope it all goes well.Yeah,you shouldn't have done it,but hey,lifes for learning!

Sneaking round a depot is hardly commiting multiple fraud offences! I wonder if she whould have been regretting it now had she not been caught?

mumrar

Established Member
Sneaking round a depot is hardly commiting multiple fraud offences! I wonder if she whould have been regretting it now had she not been caught?

No, it's trespassing on railway property, still against the law. I have sympathy for the potential outcome, and feel no need to lecture right and wrong. The OP already knows, your Dad most likely will get a warning and you will lose all travel facilities. If you are prosecuted resulting from a TIR, if found guilty you will be fined and that will be a criminal record for life too for obtaining goods or sevices by deception. One can only hope you did particularly well in your dissertation, for yor own sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.