• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Purchasing Age-Restricted products

Status
Not open for further replies.

najaB

Veteran Member
The strange thing is that I have tried adding other more pointed scissors to my Amazon basket and I don't get trapped by Age Verification.
Is it actually sold by Amazon or is it being sold by an independent vendor and distributed by Amazon. That could explain the difference.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
There is a reason for this! While main bank checkouts store the individual restrictions of each product, self-service checkouts usually have products sorted into various categories instead, so a packet of teaspoons is classified as 'cutlery'. This category includes knives and any other bladed culinary implement that could be used for nefarious shenanigans, hence why it triggers an age check.
Glad you've got in there with the correct explanation, before someone starts an urban legend about it being drug related! I remember the old one about why they briefly took the foil packaging out of kitkats!

najaB

Veteran Member
Glad you've got in there with the correct explanation, before someone starts an urban legend about it being drug related! I remember the old one about why they briefly took the foil packaging out of kitkats!
Kind of related - you get an age check for zero-alcohol beer.

DelayRepay

Established Member
There is a reason for this! While main bank checkouts store the individual restrictions of each product, self-service checkouts usually have products sorted into various categories instead, so a packet of teaspoons is classified as 'cutlery'. This category includes knives and any other bladed culinary implement that could be used for nefarious shenanigans, hence why it triggers an age check.
Yes, I thought that was probably the reason, but I found it amusing, as did the assistant.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Yes, I thought that was probably the reason, but I found it amusing, as did the assistant.
Silly question which I hope one of our correspondents from the retail industry can answer. Why do they have different methods for the two types of checkout?

najaB

Veteran Member
Silly question which I hope one of our correspondents from the retail industry can answer. Why do they have different methods for the two types of checkout?
Not in the industry but from an IT perspective it's (a) simpler to program; and (b) follows the principle of data minimisation - the less data you have to hold about different products the less likely it is that something will slip through that shouldn't. On a staffed checkout one would hope that the cashier would recognise that something does/does not require an age check but with self-service you don't have a human acting as a safeguard.

Gloster

Established Member
Oddly you never used to get one for shandy, which was usually 0.5% abv... because it was categorised as a soft drink. That may have changed now though.
When I was at school in the 1970s a new headmaster banned the tuck shop from selling shandy because it contained alcohol.

stevetay3

It’s time all this nonsense was sorted out if the laws says we need Id then we should be issued with appropriate Id free of charge. I have had problems with Amazon drivers about proof of age to receive table knives and forks. I will not give some person unknown to me personal info on the doorstep for security reasons and what if you have no passport or driving licence .I buy alcohol on line quite often and have never been asked for Id for that. What about Id for voting at elections are we going to be refused are legal right to vote if we have no passport or licence.

najaB

Veteran Member
It’s time all this nonsense was sorted out if the laws says we need Id then we should be issued with appropriate Id free of charge. I have had problems with Amazon drivers about proof of age to receive table knives and forks. I will not give some person unknown to me personal info on the doorstep for security reasons and what if you have no passport or driving licence .I buy alcohol on line quite often and have never been asked for Id for that. What about Id for voting at elections are we going to be refused are legal right to vote if we have no passport or licence.
These topics have been discussed here: Law Change will require voters to show photo ID and here: Identity Cards among other places.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Kind of related - you get an age check for zero-alcohol beer.

The alcohol free beers are still old under licence which is why you get age checked.

You also get age checked for RedBull and other energy drinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.