• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Purchasing of 16-18 Merseytravel Saveaways

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
On the 31st July, Merseyrail introduced a requirement to have ID to purchase a 16-18 ticket. Since then, I've had several problems purchasing a ticket.

The posters advertising the requirement clearly state that you must have a Merseyrail ID Card, Passport or Driving License.

I've just boarded a train at Earlestown who point blank refused to accept my driving license. (I've been told a couple of times that 'it'd be better if you had the Merseyrail ID'-but never more than that. I stood my ground and stated that the massive poster next to the ticket office clearly says I could get it with my driving license. Eventually, the ticket clerk backed down when it got to the point where I'd miss my train and sold me it-saying something along the lines of 'if Merseyrail won't accept it and fine you we're not responsible'.

I've tweeted (and screenshotted replies) Merseyrail a couple of times seeking confirmation that a driving license was acceptable ID-and been told on both occasions that it was.

How would I stand if I boarded a train without a ticket if the ticket office refused to sell it? I'm near certain a guard would happily sell it (though I'd then end up in arguments with bus drivers not happy with the 'bog roll' tickets sold onboard-but that's for another thread...) but, knowing Northern the way I do, an RPI would probably have no issue with reporting me for it-and leaving me stuck with no case to defend whatsoever...

Who am I best contacting to report this issue (though I assume someone from Northern and/or Merseyrail/Merseytravel will be reading this:D) Northern, Merseyrail or Merseytravel?

I've now attached a picture of the poster currently on display at all stations.

Attachments

• 20170810_124305.jpg
    20170810_124305.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Yet another case of ticket office staff confirming the case for closing ticket offices and replacing with TVMs. You'd think they didn't want their jobs. :(

cactustwirly

Established Member
Ridiculous! So I can use my driving licence to buy alcohol, but not a train ticket!

gray1404

Established Member
Northern as they run the ticket office. However, send the same complaint to Merseyrail and Merseytravel.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Yet another case of some ticket office staff confirming the case for closing ticket offices and replacing with TVMs. You'd think they didn't want their jobs. :(
Corrected that for you. There are some who seem to want to make life difficult for the unsuspecting punter, but it certainly isn't all of them. I received great service at a Thameslink ticket office yesterday - far better than I expected or was entitled to.

Established Member
Yet another case of ticket office staff confirming the case for closing ticket offices and replacing with TVMs. You'd think they didn't want their jobs. :(

Hmm... whilst I don't want to see any ticket office close, this is a fair point! There are a couple of stations where I would deliberately use a TVM over the ticket office. Of course there are tickets I would only buy from TVMs at certain places but that's nothing to do with the staff:D

I have now attached a picture of the poster-on view at Lime Street Merseyrail platform.

Clearly they should be accepting your driving license, but just playing devil's advocate, is there any reason in particular you don't want to get one of their ID cards? Seems like it would make your day a bit easier.

Established Member
Clearly they should be accepting your driving license, but just playing devil's advocate, is there any reason in particular you don't want to get one of their ID cards? Seems like it would make your day a bit easier.

Exactly that. They should be accepting my driving license! Seems pointless to have both really.

100andthirty

Out of interest (as I am several decades to old for a 16-18 ticket!) how does one get the ID given neither driving licences nor passports are mandatory documents for UK citizens?

GW43125

Established Member

I'm thinking of doing a one-off trip to that area soon, I have a perfectly functional provisional driving license, why would I need an ID card for that?

Established Member
It looks like to get their ID you need a passport or driving licence anyway!

I know someone that has got one by using a medical report which would have had his personal details on including date of birth, and it was accepted no problem.

Camden

Established Member
Was that at a Merseyrail station though?

Sounds like Northern staff might simply have been told that people need a Merseyrail ID card to purchase.

Established Member
Was that at a Merseyrail station though?

Sounds like Northern staff might simply have been told that people need a Merseyrail ID card to purchase.

Possibly-though everywhere else I've bought them (St. Helens Central, Newton le Willows and Lime Street) the ID cards have been reccommended, but I've never got the impression they believed it had to be the ID card before.

At NLW, the conversation was pretty much

'you'd be better with an ID card, then you won't have to carry your licence all the time'

'I've always carried it with me though...'

'Ah fair enough-may as well use that then!'

Established Member
Purchased one again today at Earlestown. Different ticket clerk-no problem at all.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
185143 said:
How would I stand if I boarded a train without a ticket if the ticket office refused to sell it?
You'd (probably) be fine. Imagine the case in court; Northern trying to argue that a valid photo ID wasn't a valid photo ID! :lol:

Most likely just a misunderstanding by the clerk, which should have been addressed by now.

There used to be a particularly odious member of staff at Salford Crescent who point-blank refused to sell any ticket with a different origin, calling it "fraud".

As this was before SLD had barriers, some journeys actually ended up being free, and the ones into Piccadilly always ended with an explanation and the desired ticket.

Oh, and a complimentary pass for each complaint!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.