• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Putney - Sydenham Hill Fare Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

galwhv69

Hi,
I need to start using the train for my entire commute soon (It just takes too long right now by mostly bus). I travel from Monday to Thursday. I have a 16+ Oyster Photocard. The route would be PUT to VXH on South Western Railway, Vauxhall to Brixton on the Victoria Line, then BRX to SYH on Southeastern to avoid Zone 1. In the morning, I don't mind what time I leave Putney, however I need to end up on the Southeastern service arriving at Sydenham Hill at 0827. Using the TfL single fare finder, the peak journey cost would be £1.45. In the afternoon, I would travel on different services from Sydenham Hill (1318 or 1348 on Mondays & Tuesdays, 1518 on Wednesdays & Thursdays), I believe that this would cost £1.25 on all days as it's classified as Off Peak?
So for the week, it should cost me £10.80 on Oyster PAYG?
Is this the cheapest way of travelling there, or would things like railcard discounts work out cheaper?
I go to Sixth Form, so would travel during school term, totalling 135 days until the summer break.
Travel is on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays & Thursdays

Monday 4 October – Thursday 21 October
12 Days

Monday 8 November – Tuesday 21 December
26 days

Wednesday 5 January – Thursday 10 February
22 days

Monday 21 February – Thursday 31 March
24 days

Wednesday 20 April – Thursday 26 May
22 days

Monday 6 June – Monday 25 July
29 days

135 days total
From what I can tell, a 16+ price travelcard would be at least £100 more expensive. So PAYG Oyster 16+ would be £364.50.
I do hope I've worked this out correctly, just asking if someone could advise on any other options or if this is correct.
Many Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I think PAYG will be cheapest. You can't add railcard discounts to a 16+ Oyster because the 16+ rate is already 50% off the adult.

Veteran Member
Slightly OT, but you might want to check out Putney-Clapham Jn-Gypsy Hill and a short walk as an alternative (I am guessing where the school is). It's no cheaper according to TfL though.

Last edited:

galwhv69

Slightly OT, but you might want to check out Putney-Clapham Jn-Gypsy Hill and a short walk as an alternative (I am guessing where the school is). It's no cheaper according to TfL though.
Yep, I can do that as well if need be, but SYH is more convenient :lol:
In the morning, it might actually be better timed than changing at Vauxhall and probably getting crushed on the Victoria Line

No, the barriers / validators at Vauxhall and Brixton confirm the route taken.

duncanp

Established Member
Another factor to consider is how much you would use buses and trains outside of your commute to and from Sixth Form College.

A weekly 16+ travelcard for Zones 2 & 3 is £13.90, which is £3.10 more than the cost of your commute using PAYG.

A monthly travelcard for the same zones is £53.40

This would be valid on buses in all zones, so you could use it to go to Central London at weekends.

Given that the 16+ bus fare is £0.75, if you are going to make 4 or more journeys by bus during the week in addition to your commute it would be worth buying a travelcard.

Have a look at

for further information.

galwhv69

Another factor to consider is how much you would use buses and trains outside of your commute to and from Sixth Form College.

A weekly 16+ travelcard for Zones 2 & 3 is £13.90, which is £3.10 more than the cost of your commute using PAYG.

A monthly travelcard for the same zones is £53.40

This would be valid on buses in all zones, so you could use it to go to Central London at weekends.

Given that the 16+ bus fare is £0.75, if you are going to make 4 or more journeys by bus during the week in addition to your commute it would be worth buying a travelcard.

Have a look at

for further information.
I live in a London borough, so buses amd trams are free with the card anyways ;)
75p is for those living outside London
But yes, if I know I need to go elsewhere quite a bit during a week, I might check the travelcards.
Next year I believe they're introducing weekly PAYG capping, so would be no need for a travelcard then

Status
Not open for further replies.