• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Putting front and back lights in locos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prairie_5542

Hi. Your help please. I have some locomotives that I would like to add front and back directional lights in, that change with the direction the loco is moving in. I have a '00' gauge layout, which is analogue and not DCC.

The locos I have are classes- 37, 47, 57, 56, 60, 66.

Which lights and parts would I need to do this and what would the cost be per loco. And the time taken to do this. Is there a step by step guide to help with this?

Any help would be very appreciated, thank you.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Anyone out there?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tomnick

Established Member
This is something that I've often thought about. How does one go about installing tail lights on a loco in such a way that they can be turned off when not running light loco to avoid that definite no-no of an intermediate tail lamp?

Prairie_5542

This is something that I've often thought about. How does one go about installing tail lights on a loco in such a way that they can be turned off when not running light loco to avoid that definite no-no of an intermediate tail lamp?

By using a switch on the underside of the loco possibly?

I just need to know which parts to get and a step by step guide then I can do it.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Fitting lights is relatively easy, though the parts needed and time taken will vary by model. You'd be best advised to use 9v LEDs, 2mm lighthouse should suffice for most models, and some resistors. Some LEDs will come with resistors so check when buying.

The LEDs are wired 'in series' with a resistor and the two are wired 'in parallel' with the motor and any other LEDs/resistors.

Remember to wire the tail lights the opposite way round to the headlights.

Prairie_5542

Fitting lights is relatively easy, though the parts needed and time taken will vary by model. You'd be best advised to use 9v LEDs, 2mm lighthouse should suffice for most models, and some resistors. Some LEDs will come with resistors so check when buying.

The LEDs are wired 'in series' with a resistor and the two are wired 'in parallel' with the motor and any other LEDs/resistors.

Remember to wire the tail lights the opposite way round to the headlights.

Thanks. Where do I buy these from? Price? I'm a little confused where you wire the bits to and which parts etc? :oops:

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
LEDs can be bought for pennies (each) on [a well known auction website] if you buy a load, often resistors come with them.

As for wiring, the resistor attaches to one 'leg' of the LED, you then have to find out which pick up on the model is the positive one and which the negative, and wire in the LED/Resistor to the relevant pick up (I apologise for being a bit vague I'm really not feeling very well).

Prairie_5542

LEDs can be bought for pennies (each) on [a well known auction website] if you buy a load, often resistors come with them.

As for wiring, the resistor attaches to one 'leg' of the LED, you then have to find out which pick up on the model is the positive one and which the negative, and wire in the LED/Resistor to the relevant pick up (I apologise for being a bit vague I'm really not feeling very well).

Thanks for this! Hope you feel well soon!!

ash39

Established Member
Express models do lighting kits, but to be honest you'd probably be better off selling what you have and getting the newer retooled models. As well as the lights they offer a lot more in terms of detail and performance.

Prairie_5542

Express models do lighting kits, but to be honest you'd probably be better off selling what you have and getting the newer retooled models. As well as the lights they offer a lot more in terms of detail and performance.

Hi ash39, i am a 'vintage' modeller, so would like to keep the models i've got and can't afford to get any new ones.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Thanks for this! Hope you feel well soon!!

I think it was one of those annoying 24hr bugs, it seems to have mostly passed thankfully, not sure how much longer I could have put up with......actually, that's probably too much information.....

Okay, I bought mine through a chap called 'thehandsignalman' on that well known auction website (though there are other sellers and there may be cheaper options) and he included a small, but informative, guide to help out (and he does a lot of 'buy two get another free' offers).

Anyway, the resistor should be attached to the long legged 'anode' of the led, it does not matter which way round the resistor is. At this point you can test the led using track power to make sure it works and hopefully indicate which way round the wires need to be soldered to the model. Then you simply have to solder the wires to the pick ups on the locomotive and fit them into the loco body.

ash39

Established Member
Hi ash39, i am a 'vintage' modeller, so would like to keep the models i've got and can't afford to get any new ones.

That's fair enough, but the point I was making is the cost you are going to have putting lights in your current models might be better going towards replacing some of them with models that have lights to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.