• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Putting Kingswear back onto the national rail network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steam Man

On Moderation
https://www.inyourarea.co.uk/news/h...5SabJdr8EH9X8MktXIg5kehKsYXKgnhKg62jxaM5BhS1Q
Talks have been held with a view to putting Kingswear railway station back on the national mainline timetables, bringing travellers to the riverside village from all over the country.

Totnes MP Anthony Mangnall wants passengers from anywhere in the country to be able to buy tickets to the station on the banks of the River Dart, taking mainline trains as far as Paignton, Devon and then changing to complete their journeys by preserved steam train.

I’m not sure if this is true or not but it would be a good idea if it did happen

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
Judging by the article, this is mainly talking about improving and providing through ticketing to Kingswear then extending services through to Kingswear, which seems like a good idea.

Irascible

Established Member
Judging by the article, this is mainly talking about improving and providing through ticketing to Kingswear then extending services through to Kingswear, which seems like a good idea.
Yeah, my take too. Do TOCs have to provide any guarantees to end up in the system, I wonder?

Whistler40145

Established Member
Yeah, my take too. Do TOCs have to provide any guarantees to end up in the system, I wonder?
I was thinking about delays, especially when the line is single track between Paignton and Kingswear

The TOC wouldn't want to penalised for delays caused off the Network Rail system

Steam Man

On Moderation
I was thinking about delays, especially when the line is single track between Paignton and Kingswear

The TOC wouldn't want to penalised for delays caused off the Network Rail system
I know there’s a passing place at Churston and I think there’s one at Goodrington Sands

devon_metro

Established Member
There is also a bypass of Goodrington that avoids both platforms. There is a shunt route from Paignton (mainline) direct to the Kingswear branch and reverse. I'm not sure you could run scheduled trains over it due to rules with shunt signals. But you can of course walk over to Queens Park (the steam railway platform) and buy a ticket to Kingswear. I don't really get what the article is suggesting other than through ticketing which might not be very practical given the sporadic timetable!

clagmonster

Established Member
I don't really get what the article is suggesting other than through ticketing which might not be very practical given the sporadic timetable!
The through ticketing suggestion is already in place with quite a few other preserved railways, so should be easily achievable.

Gloster

Established Member
I can’t find my copy of the report, but I have a feeling that Kingswear wasn’t originally listed for closure, which took place in 1972.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Kingswear was not listed for closure in the Beeching 'Re-shaping' report. (Brixham was already 'in progress' before the Beeching report was prepared.)

The Kingswear closure sprang from the British Railways Network For Development document of March 1967 when Castle was the Minister and Raymond the BRB Chairman.

Gloster

Established Member
In the Beeching Report the Exeter St David’s-Kingswear service was to be modified: Exeter St Thomas, Exminster, Starcross, Kingskerswell and Churston were to close.

Reopening South Brent is not a bad idea, although I doubt if the financial case would be very good.

I am afraid that it is probably the usual situation of politicians supporting somebody else’s idea, so that if it succeeds they can claim as much of the credit as possible.

Irascible

Established Member
IIRC the line never closed in practice? handed straight to the preservation society.

This might be a slightly better idea if the Paignton interchange was properly cross-platform...

Status
Not open for further replies.