• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Putting "revenue protection" over customer convenience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Flamingo

Established Member
The inability to see both sides of the argument

You are right - and the fact that you had to spell it out says it all.

The number of people posting on this thread who obviously have never been to a concert, theatre, sporting event or amusement park, let alone travel by airplane astounds me.

greaterwest

Established Member
I was told by a member of Southern staff that it was a breach of H&S laws to leave barriers unstaffed, presumably this applies to all TOC's and shouldn't action be taken against TOC's not complying? In the circumstances I probably would have forced it.

It is a health and safety issue, all arrays must be staffed on-site, whether remotely from another gateline (as seen at many Southern stations) or one member of staff per array where more than one array exists (as per Waterloo, Clapham, Surbiton, Woking, Basingstoke and some others in SWT land)

Alas, as the owner of a magstripe defective season ticket the gates at Manchester Victoria have provided new joy in the form of sarcastic gateline staff giving it "yeah, right" and "everyone says that" when I explain there's no point putting the ticket in the gate as it will just spit it out again. Sometimes, if they're particularly grumpy I'll insist on demonstrating that it doesn't work which usually ends with them wordlessly letting me out. :mad:

Can't wait to repeat the experience at Piccadilly... <(

Staff certainly shouldn't be saying "everyone says that" in that situation, though spending 5 minutes at the ticket office where the season ticket was issued should resolve the problems you have at the Manchester Victoria barriers, even if temporarily.

You may also have been advised to keep your ticket away from anything magnetic such as magnetic phone case clips, and I've even heard phones cause the ticket to become corrupt.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I was told by a member of Southern staff that it was a breach of H&S laws to leave barriers unstaffed, presumably this applies to all TOC's and shouldn't action be taken against TOC's not complying? In the circumstances I probably would have forced it.

It's a breach only if the barriers are left closed.

If they can't be staffed then they should be locked open.

Antman

Established Member
It's a breach only if the barriers are left closed.

If they can't be staffed then they should be locked open.

Yes that's what I meant although I perhaps didn't make it clear ;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
You are right - and the fact that you had to spell it out says it all.

The number of people posting on this thread who obviously have never been to a concert, theatre, sporting event or amusement park, let alone travel by airplane astounds me.

I'm still waiting for him to spell out what he meant :roll:

Antman

Established Member
see post #92

I already have, what is it that people apparently can't see?

I think the main point of this thread is that nobody objects to reasonable measures being taken to combat fare evasion but it shouldn't be to the detriment of the majority who do pay their fare.

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I already have, what is it that people apparently can't see?

Honestly? For instance:

• Why a ticket machine might not sell them the off peak ticket they want when not valid
  • Complaining about having your ticket checked on a long journey when the guard has changed
  • Push through the barriers when they wont recognise your ticket
  • there should be one staff member per gate per side
  • but those staff shouldn't stand in front of the gates as they cause an obstruction
  • machines that will only accept notes or cards
  • barriers should be open/closed more often
  • the gates reject my ticket when it is valid & I have to show my railcard/odd ticket

Much of it seems to boil down to why should I be inconvenienced during my very important life

LeeLivery

Established Member
Do you have any journey history for those occasions. I have touched in at other stations at 1857, 1858 and 1859 and every time the fare was off-peak.

It was last year, I never thought anything of it. My Oyster has done strange things. Two weeks ago I touched out after (stupidly) forgetting I used a paper ticket and I wasn't charged even though staff told me I would be unless I rang up. I did ring up, but they said the system was down for maintenance and I should rang back the next day. However, I checked my journey history and I was never charged for it so I didn't bother.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Alas, as the owner of a magstripe defective season ticket the gates at Manchester Victoria have provided new joy in the form of sarcastic gateline staff giving it "yeah, right" and "everyone says that" when I explain there's no point putting the ticket in the gate as it will just spit it out again. Sometimes, if they're particularly grumpy I'll insist on demonstrating that it doesn't work which usually ends with them wordlessly letting me out. :mad:

Is that the cheap-and-nasty contract security staff? The railway should not be allowed to do that, and certainly any of them persisting with that kind of approach need the sack - proper railway professionalism and ticketing knowledge is required.

Unless customers are themselves sarcastic (and not even really then), it is not appropriate for customer-facing staff to be other than polite, even if "I'm afraid it's our policy that you have to put the ticket in the barrier first" is what they should say.

Mind you, there is also GWR at Padd...

Last edited:

Antman

Established Member
Honestly? For instance:

• Why a ticket machine might not sell them the off peak ticket they want when not valid
  • Complaining about having your ticket checked on a long journey when the guard has changed
  • Push through the barriers when they wont recognise your ticket
  • there should be one staff member per gate per side
  • but those staff shouldn't stand in front of the gates as they cause an obstruction
  • machines that will only accept notes or cards
  • barriers should be open/closed more often
  • the gates reject my ticket when it is valid & I have to show my railcard/odd ticket

Much of it seems to boil down to why should I be inconvenienced during my very important life

Well yes time is very important to most people and they don't expect to be unnecessarily delayed.

Barriers should always be adequately staffed or left open.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Well yes time is very important to most people and they don't expect to be unnecessarily delayed.

Barriers should always be adequately staffed or left open.

I agree. However, The fact there are explanations ( not justifications) for the issues should not be ignored or overlooked

Status
Not open for further replies.