• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pwllheli - Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
Travelling 25/05/2009. must depart after 1330. The cheapest I've come up with so far is ATW service to Birmingham, change at Wolverhampton onto a LM Desiro to Liverpool.

Other suggestions most welcome.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tony_mac

Established Member
I'm not sure what exactly you are looking for - it's £14 for an advance ticket - 15:32 via Machynlleth, Shrewsbury, Chester.

First class

Established Member
Split at Chester

Liverpool-Chester £4.40 after 1.30pm
Chester-Pwllheli £33.50 return valid anytime, return within a month.

If you're looking for single fares

then liverpool-chester £4.60, so cheaper buying a return at £4.40
chester-pwllheli £32.90

mathmo

I'm not sure what exactly you are looking for - it's £14 for an advance ticket - 15:32 via Machynlleth, Shrewsbury, Chester.

Indeed - though this takes six-and-a-half hours! It's quicker, despite the most awful changes, to get a bus from Pwllheli to Bangor and then a train from Bangor to Liverpool (cost £20.30 for the train, no idea about the bus). The various websites say this involves changing buses in Caernarfon and Bangor, and trains in Chester (annoyingly with about 55 minutes' wait in each of the first two), but still gets you there quicker than the train!

tony_mac

Established Member
he suggested going via wolverhampton, which is 6 hours anyway, and was looking for something cheaper - which was why I wasn't sure what he was looking for!

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
:D For something a bit different, how about the "Ffestiniog Round Robin" ticket. <<Link>>

Ffestiniog%20Circular.jpg

Travel on the 1342 or 1532 train from Pwllheli to Porthmadog. Journey time 20 minutes. Change there for the Ffestiniog Railway (narrow gauge), services departing at 1445 and 1600 to Blaenau Ffestiniog. (Arrive 1540 or 1715). Change at Blaenau Ffestiniog for the 1737 train to Llandudno Junction (Arrive 1835) and at Llandudno Junction for the 1853 to Chester (arrive 1949). At Chester get the 2000 to Liverpool Central (Arrive 2045).

Fare for this ticket (valid on from Porthmadog to Chester) is £25-00. (16-25 railcard discounts apply, so will shave a third off this price). Will also need singles from Pwllheli to Porthmadog (= £3.70) and from Chester to Liverpool (as previously).

Last edited:

will1337

Thanks, Mcr Warrior. I'd never seen that ticket before but it's perfect for next time I'm up in Manchester.

tony_mac

Established Member
that looks like an interesting ticket - is it only valid for one day? as it doesn't actually seem to say anywhere, or mention break of journey.

Also, the link says valid on Arriva Trains Wales - so how do I get from Liverpool to Crewe or Chester, as it shows on the map - is it valid on any service to Crewe? There is a Pendolino on Sunday morning, I might take that, if possible.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
that looks like an interesting ticket - is it only valid for one day? as it doesn't actually seem to say anywhere, or mention break of journey.

Also, the link says valid on Arriva Trains Wales - so how do I get from Liverpool to Crewe or Chester, as it shows on the map - is it valid on any service to Crewe? There is a Pendolino on Sunday morning, I might take that, if possible.

:roll: Good questions! Reckon that it's a day ticket, but you're right, it doesn't say so anywhere, nor as regards break of journey. Only restriction seems to be that only a one-way trip on the Ffestiniog Railway is allowed.

Also, I'm not sure either how you get from Liverpool to Crewe/Chester either.

The nearest that Arriva Trains Wales services normally get to Liverpool is probably Bidston (on the Wirral) or Runcorn East.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
:roll: Good questions! Reckon that it's a day ticket, but you're right, it doesn't say so anywhere, nor as regards break of journey. Only restriction seems to be that only a one-way trip on the Ffestiniog Railway is allowed.

The nearest that Arriva Trains Wales services normally get to Liverpool is probably Bidston (on the Wirral) or Runcorn East.

Can you not get to Bangor? friends I have in your neck of the woods
go Bangor/Chester/Liverpool, this must save a hundred miles or so and
and hours,

tony_mac

Established Member
Sorry, this is a bit off-topic, should I start another thread?

I rang Arriva Trains Wales, they said that it is a day ticket, any break of journey is allowed, and any train is valid from Liverpool to Crewe or Chester.

However, I can't really see actually having time for a break of journey on that route and being able to finish it the same day!

CCF23

From Porthmadog you can get the number 1 or X32 bus straight to Bangor in under an hour or from Pwllheli take the number 12 bus to Caernarfon and then take a bus to Bangor (lots of buses do this route) for anymore information try Traveline Cymru. I Make this journey when going to the Haven holiday camp near Pwllheli from London and the ffestiniog round robin looks like a great ticket although will the offer still be around in July when i go for my holidays to Pwllheli if so i would love to use it? I take it a child ticket would be £12.50?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
To get from Chester to Liverpool take the Merseyrail service they are every half an hour on the hour and at half past the hour. They take 59 minutes to get to Liverpool Central.

First class

Established Member
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
To get from Chester to Liverpool take the Merseyrail service they are every half an hour on the hour and at half past the hour. They take 59 minutes to get to Liverpool Central.

They actually take only 45mins to Liv Ctl, but due to engineering works they all terminate at James Street, a 40min journey.

tony_mac

Established Member
it's probably worth mentioning that if you are getting a ticket from Chester to Liverpool then you can spend an extra 10p and get a 'Saveaway' - which is valid on all buses and trains in Merseyside for the day (after 9:30am Mon-Fri).

Status
Not open for further replies.