• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Qualified driver applying for a trainee driver position

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glover2013

Looking for some advice please, especially from qualified drivers who have moved TOC.

I'm a qualified driver of four years, currently employed and with a clean safety of line record looking to move to a depot in the South East of England.

I recently applied for the trainee train driver position advertised by Southern (GTR/2271) for metro and coastal depots. Being a qualified driver with four years experience and a clean safety record, i was surprised to be rejected at the first hurdle.

My question is, do TOCs automatically reject qualified drivers for trainee positions? Is it a Southern/GTR policy?

I've shown my application to a colleague who works in railway recruitment and they couldn't believe that it had been rejected. I live very close to the Brighton depot.

Am I better off just trying to hand my CV to their HR department?

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ComUtoR

Established Member
You shouldn't be applying for a Trainee position. You are a qualified. Trainee positions tend to come under a different budget and a different recruitment. There also may be a case of timing. They could be expecting new Trainees for a future position. You are, as they say, over qualified :)

Most TOC transfers we get all go direct through HR. Call them direct is generally the best advice.

Paddy67

On Moderation
I know of a qualified driver who applied for and got the trainee vacancy with vtec now lner that they advertised to much ho ha end of 2016. This example has always made me think of your question.

Val3ntine

I know of a qualified driver who applied for and got the trainee vacancy with vtec now lner that they advertised to much ho ha end of 2016. This example has always made me think of your question.

I remember this advert and I believe it wasn’t your standard driver application form but a cover letter to an email address which was predominantly aimed for trainees but an oppertunity also for qualified to apply too.

As Comutor says you were rejected because you applied for a trainee driver position, TOCS advertise for qualified positions which is a totally seperate application and process for example first group is currently advertising for qualified drivers at GWR and SWR.
Best to give whatever TOC you choose a call and speak to their HR department in regards with what you should do. Some will take your details and progress your interest there and then and some are strict that you are to wait for only when and if they advertise for qualfied positions then you can apply.

Last edited:

Aivilo

Is it a particular depot your looking for.

I would reach out to the relevant HR department. I had a friend that was allowed to apply for a trainee position when he got made redundant from freight so I wouldn't say its totally out of the question

Paddy67

On Moderation
I remember this advert and I believe it wasn’t your standard driver application form but a cover letter to an email address which was predominantly aimed for trainees but an oppertunity also for qualified to apply too.

As Comutor says you were rejected because you applied for a trainee driver position, TOCS advertise for qualified positions which is a totally seperate application and process for example first group is currently advertising for qualified drivers at GWR and SWR.
Best to give whatever TOC you choose a call and speak to their HR department in regards with what you should do. Some will take your details and progress your interest there and then and some are strict that you are to wait for only when and if they advertise for qualfied positions then you can apply.
Yes it was a cover letter to answer two questions why do you want to be a train driver and why do you want to work for vtec? And also your C.V

Almost all of the qualifieds got rejected straight off the bat bar this guy and maybe one other but only the one got a job as far as I know.

I wonder what would happen if you applied for a trainee vacancy as a trainee driver?

Val3ntine

Yes it was a cover letter to answer two questions why do you want to be a train driver and why do you want to work for vtec? And also your C.V

Almost all of the qualifieds got rejected straight off the bat bar this guy and maybe one other but only the one got a job as far as I know.

I wonder what would happen if you applied for a trainee vacancy as a trainee driver?

Coincidently enough I tried this when I was a trainee. Called up HR department prior just to confirm my situation and they advised it’s fine to carry on with the application as normal as long as I wasn’t qualified. Didn’t get through the sift however, but due to it being okayed by HR initially I’m sure it was down to other factors.
In hindsight only did it because I was without a DI for about 6 months and got fed up.

Paddy67

On Moderation
Coincidently enough I tried this when I was a trainee. Called up HR department prior just to confirm my situation and they advised it’s fine to carry on with the application as normal as long as I wasn’t qualified. Didn’t get through the sift however, but due to it being okayed by HR initially I’m sure it was down to other factors.
In hindsight only did it because I was without a DI for about 6 months and got fed up.
Well you learn something new everyday!

As you can only apply for the vacancies as they become available I had always thought about the situation of getting a job with one of the lesser TOCS to then see a lner or vtwc come on the market

Glover2013

Well you learn something new everyday!

As you can only apply for the vacancies as they become available I had always thought about the situation of getting a job with one of the lesser TOCS to then see a lner or vtwc come on the market
Me too!

Glover2013

You shouldn't be applying for a Trainee position. You are a qualified. Trainee positions tend to come under a different budget and a different recruitment. There also may be a case of timing. They could be expecting new Trainees for a future position. You are, as they say, over qualified :)

Most TOC transfers we get all go direct through HR. Call them direct is generally the best advice.
Thanks for your advice. I had no idea that recruitment was split between qualified drivers and trainees. I’ll go down the hr route!

Glover2013

Thanks for the advice

Glover2013

Is it a particular depot your looking for.

I would reach out to the relevant HR department. I had a friend that was allowed to apply for a trainee position when he got made redundant from freight so I wouldn't say its totally out of the question
Brighton ideally. I’ll reach out to hr. Cheers!

387star

On Moderation
Southern never advertise for qualifieds as far as I know
The same problem exists for anyone wanting to move from TL to Southern. Despite TL poaching Southern drivers quite happily under normal circumstances it is very difficult to move between the two.

Many TL drivers may live near Barnham or Eastbourne depots for instance

ComUtoR

Established Member
Thanks for your advice. I had no idea that recruitment was split between qualified drivers and trainees. I’ll go down the hr route!

When you transfer TOCs you should undergo a 'training needs analysis' This is basically a quick rules test and any routes/traction requirements. Pretty much all of our transfers in then go out with a DI for a couple of weeks assessing their competence etc. All our Drivers come under 'Operations' and the Trainees come under 'HR' You will of course, lose your seniority.

Glover2013

Southern never advertise for qualifieds as far as I know
The same problem exists for anyone wanting to move from TL to Southern. Despite TL poaching Southern drivers quite happily under normal circumstances it is very difficult to move between the two.

Many TL drivers may live near Barnham or Eastbourne depots for instance
Thanks for this. Long shot I know but do you know if TL will be recruiting qualified drivers at Gatwick airport anytime soon? Or at any other depots?

Glover2013

When you transfer TOCs you should undergo a 'training needs analysis' This is basically a quick rules test and any routes/traction requirements. Pretty much all of our transfers in then go out with a DI for a couple of weeks assessing their competence etc. All our Drivers come under 'Operations' and the Trainees come under 'HR' You will of course, lose your seniority.
Thank you very much for this! So are you saying I should direct my application to the ‘Operations’ department at Southern? Are Operations contactable through Hr?

387star

On Moderation
Thanks for this. Long shot I know but do you know if TL will be recruiting qualified drivers at Gatwick airport anytime soon? Or at any other depots?
No depot at Gatwick Three Bridges is closest

No idea. The Qualified roles taken by Southern drivers were only advertised internally and many jumped at the chance

Not aware of anyone wanting to go in the opposite direction

I think under FCC they advertised for Qualifieds but not sure if since GTR was formed in 2014 they have

Glover2013

No depot at Gatwick Three Bridges is closest

No idea. The Qualified roles taken by Southern drivers were only advertised internally and many jumped at the chance

Not aware of anyone wanting to go in the opposite direction

I think under FCC they advertised for Qualifieds but not sure if since GTR was formed in 2014 they have
Cool. I’ll enquire through hr. Cheers!

ComUtoR

Established Member
So are you saying I should direct my application to the ‘Operations’ department at Southern?

Always go through HR. I was just highlighting the different path you would take as a Driver compared to a Trainee.

superhands

Gatwick Express at Victoria is the way into Southern as it's very rare for them to take Qualifieds, last time they did was around 4 years ago and that was at Norwood. I think if you do two years at Gatwick Express you can then put in for a transfer to another Southern Depot.
At one point it see

Firestarter

Looking for some advice please, especially from qualified drivers who have moved TOC.

I'm a qualified driver of four years, currently employed and with a clean safety of line record looking to move to a depot in the South East of England.

I recently applied for the trainee train driver position advertised by Southern (GTR/2271) for metro and coastal depots. Being a qualified driver with four years experience and a clean safety record, i was surprised to be rejected at the first hurdle.

My question is, do TOCs automatically reject qualified drivers for trainee positions? Is it a Southern/GTR policy?

I've shown my application to a colleague who works in railway recruitment and they couldn't believe that it had been rejected. I live very close to the Brighton depot.

Am I better off just trying to hand my CV to their HR department?

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

https://gtrailwaycareers.com/templa...331416953597A7865524B55496370795756754D6C6456

N9CIFAQL

Do you work with Southern? I'm in the recruitment process, any chance you could PM me? Thanks.

SRH

As a qualified driver you are better off getting the email addresses for the HR of the companies you are interested in.

Draft a cover letter let them know the locations that interest you along with your experience and see what they come back with.. I am
speaking from experience as this is how i got a move myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.