• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Qualified driver looking to head North

Status
Not open for further replies.

vikingdriver

Hi all. I'm looking to relocate from a TOC in the South and head North and was wondering where drivers are based in Cumbria and what routes / traction they sign? Think I've worked out Barrow in Furness and Carlisle already but unsure about routes. Life is expensive down here and with no ties, we think a move would make sense. Having a bit of info would help us come up with a plan of action.

Many thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

driver9000

Established Member
Northern have a small depot at Workington. Traction 142,153 and 156. Route card Carlisle-Lancaster via Barrow.

Established Member
Barrow, Workington and Carlisle are the only three that I know in Cumbria. Routes seem to be very limited so you'd be doing the same thing over and over again.

On the other side there is Newcastle, Middlesbrough and Darlington. Bit more variety in routes, same traction (apart from 153s).

Beveridges

Established Member
Join DRS! They have a depot at Carlisle and their work has got to be far more interesting and varied than Northern's, but at the expense of worse shift times.

TOCDriver

Northern have a small depot at Workington. Traction 142,153 and 156. Route card Carlisle-Lancaster via Barrow.

I didn't know Workington still signed 142's.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Barrow, Workington and Carlisle are the only three that I know in Cumbria. Routes seem to be very limited so you'd be doing the same thing over and over again.

On the other side there is Newcastle, Middlesbrough and Darlington. Bit more variety in routes, same traction (apart from 153s).

They are limited but the two drivers I know who work there couldn't be happier. It certainly beats the Atherton line anyday of the week

Status
Not open for further replies.