• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Qualified roles? have you moved

Status
Not open for further replies.

rob12

Does anybody know of a specific place where qualified driver positions are advertised, can find trainee posts but not many qualified roles?
Also anybody who has moved tocs to be closer to your roots or home town i would be interested to know how you found the experience, Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

metalmickey

I'm aware that First Great Western are advertising for qualified drivers at various locations, I'm assuming that you've just got to check various TOC's the same as trainee positions and just apply when a vacancy comes up.

Nuttytoffee

Hi, I'm about to move from GWR to Chiltern. I just sent a couple of speculative CV's in and kept an eye on the websites. I got a few interviews out of it and thought Chiltern were the best bet for me. They actually rang me to make sure I had seen the advert as I had previously expressed an interest, which was a nice personal touch. So far the process has been good. Interview, medical, confirmed start date then passes application and my first week instructions from Chiltern and resignation letter, acknowledgement and then an interview with the depot manager/HR from GWR (who have been very good) to come. I am based in Oxford and will relocate to Birmingham as I currently live in Wolves.

BTU

Hi, I'm about to move from GWR to Chiltern. I just sent a couple of speculative CV's in and kept an eye on the websites. I got a few interviews out of it and thought Chiltern were the best bet for me. They actually rang me to make sure I had seen the advert as I had previously expressed an interest, which was a nice personal touch. So far the process has been good. Interview, medical, confirmed start date then passes application and my first week instructions from Chiltern and resignation letter, acknowledgement and then an interview with the depot manager/HR from GWR (who have been very good) to come. I am based in Oxford and will relocate to Birmingham as I currently live in Wolves.

I'm looking to move to Chiltern looking at Marylebone , what was the interview like? Did you have all the usual questions like when you apply as a trainee ? Or is it more relaxed as you already have your key ? Any info on the process would be great thanks. You can PM me if you like .

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
I moved from AGA to TPE about 18 months ago.

TPE, XC, FGW all seem to recruit semi regularly. Northern have ongoing Qualified Driver recruitment online at the moment.

rob12

I moved from AGA to TPE about 18 months ago.

TPE, XC, FGW all seem to recruit semi regularly. Northern have ongoing Qualified Driver recruitment online at the moment.

Thanks for the replys, how did you find the transition? Was it easy fitting into a new depot? Is the work better or were you willing to sacrifice that for a move? And just one more.... How long have you had your key or were you at AGA.. Cheers
glad to here nuttytoffee you got your move quickly I remember a long time on here it seems now you going for Oxford at the same time as me... Glad to hear you managed to ship out so early cheers

TDK

Established Member
Thanks for the replys, how did you find the transition? Was it easy fitting into a new depot? Is the work better or were you willing to sacrifice that for a move? And just one more.... How long have you had your key or were you at AGA.. Cheers
glad to here nuttytoffee you got your move quickly I remember a long time on here it seems now you going for Oxford at the same time as me... Glad to hear you managed to ship out so early cheers

I have moved TOC's a few times and to be fair it doesn't take long to climatise yourself to the new depot environment. I took a £7k pay cut to move nearer home to a depot where the work is a lot more taxing however money isn't everything and 14 hour days including travelling isn't a good option. I have had my key for 16 years and worked for 5 different companies including franchise changes.

The biggest move was from Selhurst in South London to Crewe, I found it to be a lot more laid back up North than in London so anyone going South needs to be aware that a lot of the work in London is or was very demanding in comparison to the work up North.

Nuttytoffee

Cheers Rob. Oxford has been good but it's time to go home!

red2005

Not as yet but hoping to move within the next 12 months so will be monitoring these boards very closely :)

Status
Not open for further replies.