• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Quality workmanship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waddon

I was at a major station on Sunday where a big engineering project is underway (I won't say which one out of kindness)...

While I waited for my train I noted that there was a lot of banging and crashing going on behind the screen where the work was going on, so, out of curiosity I peered round the end of the fence to see what was being done.

There was a workman there, and what he was doing was screwing screws into a partition, the way he was doing it was to screw the screw in just enough for it to bite, and then he was walloping them into the wall with the blade of a shovel :) I watched him do this for about five minutes before he spotted me looking and went back to screwing them in properly (at least while I was looking)

Another piece of high quality infrastructure being installed there, I think...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

table38

Established Member
  1. use the right tool for the job
  2. the right tool for the job is often a hammer
  3. any tool can be used as a hammer

:)

tsr

Established Member
  1. use the right tool for the job
  2. the right tool for the job is often a hammer
  3. any tool can be used as a hammer

:)

Ah yes, the Clarkson Maintenance Theorem...

I'm not surprised to hear the OP's story, and I only hope that the thing falls down in a couple of months (outside of passenger/staffing hours, of course) and the construction company gets a refund demanded of them for shoddy workmanship.

Established Member
I've seen a recent station development where breeze blocks were being put up before the actual proper brickwork - it looked like the cement had been applied with a spade rather than a trowel.

ole man

I was at a major station on Sunday where a big engineering project is underway (I won't say which one out of kindness)...

While I waited for my train I noted that there was a lot of banging and crashing going on behind the screen where the work was going on, so, out of curiosity I peered round the end of the fence to see what was being done.

There was a workman there, and what he was doing was screwing screws into a partition, the way he was doing it was to screw the screw in just enough for it to bite, and then he was walloping them into the wall with the blade of a shovel :) I watched him do this for about five minutes before he spotted me looking and went back to screwing them in properly (at least while I was looking)

Another piece of high quality infrastructure being installed there, I think...
Name and shame the station then, how else will contractors get told to do the job properly

Status
Not open for further replies.