• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Quantity of government radio adverts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamiescott1

I listen to the radio all day in the background at work and haven't really paid much attention to the adverts.
Since I've been at home I've paid more attention and excluding covid ads, its really struck me how many ads by the government there are on the radio.
Tax returns, speeding, road safety.
The government must be the biggest customer for UK radio ads

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nlogax

Established Member
The government must be the biggest customer for UK radio ads

Bearing in mind there's little to advertise in the way of traditional businesses at the moment it's no surprise radio stations are happy to take government pounds. I don't listen to independent radio much but I'm assuming there are also 'stay at home' messages going out?

Trackman

Established Member
I wonder how much they are paying? if anything. It's like with TV ads too.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Well its probably the only thing propping up Commercial Radio at this point

bspahh

Established Member
I listen to podcasts. Then I can skip adverts that I don't like, and if there are anything are useful, I could repeat them.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I hear some adverts so regularly that I start making uo spoof ones of them, including government ones.

Although covid has altered things there used to be more government advertising in the first few months or the year as they held back part of their budget for unforeseen circumstances a and once the government got to this time of the year would spend the money before the end of the financial year.

A Challenge

Established Member
Remember all this money wasted on adverts when they announce how much they are putting taxes up in the Budget - I mean it may not be much, but for useless adverts (any people breaking the rules will ignore the adverts, but it will just scare other people even more, which is counterproductive) when they have no money to pay for it it is a bit silly.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Reminds me of 1984*, as we used to say
(I refer to a dystopian future novel by George Orwell, for younger readers who may not know it)

What might one say now, reminds one of 2084?

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
While not radio "adverts" (I'm not sure why TV ads can't be included in this thread), there are two public information clips doing the rounds at the moment: the first being one of these nauseating "stay happy during lockdown" ads and refers to having a nice candle-lit tea; the second being from the Fire and Rescue service about unattended fire hazards...

Reminds me of 1984*, as we used to say
(I refer to a dystopian future novel by George Orwell, for younger readers who may not know it)

What might one say now, reminds one of 2084?
Isn't this rather patronising?

kez19

Established Member
While not radio "adverts" (I'm not sure why TV ads can't be included in this thread), there are two public information clips doing the rounds at the moment: the first being one of these nauseating "stay happy during lockdown" ads and refers to having a nice candle-lit tea; the second being from the Fire and Rescue service about unattended fire hazards...

Isn't this rather patronising?

That candle lit tea ad is from clearyourdotscot (does my head in too with the scottish twee woman narrating)

I see as I was watching The Bill on UKTV Play there is now a new one from the Scottish Government "we'll see it through" with a jogger (jogging round Edinburgh?) with again #wearescotland (yawn)

Just to add include the roll up our sleeve ad too (both TV/Radio), with the claim per se "it works" and "if you get offered it ... take it" and we will get back to normal/things we love..etc then #wearescotland

Tried looking for the ad on Youtube to no avail (for now)

I thought it was just me that thought these ads are becoming more patronising than anything else, I thought the government(s) approach was the "adult" approach when its clear its the opposite.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Subliminal. If you’re already doing that they’ve probably worked well enough?
Possibly but I'm often thinking about it negatively. Maybe slightly less so with the cvoid-19 ones but certainly with others.

With some adverts I try to think of the competition to them so that I'm not just thinking about the advertiser advertising.

So for a car ad, I think of other brands. For a gambling ad, I think of the ad which tells you not to always take the bet. To which I say, the best way to not take the bet is to just not bet.

This was my rewrite of one of the Hands, Face and space adverts, around the time it first came in.

Here is what I think should be the next government advert. I didn't have time or the technology to create the actual advert but here is the script for Test. Track. Trace:

I ensure I am tested to protect my family
I want to be tracked to protect my mates
I would be traced to protect my nan

Test
Track
Trace

I allowed myself to be tested to protect my colleagues
I will be tracked to project strangers
I am happy to be traced to protect you

Test
Track
Trace

As we spend more time indoors we need to use the world beating test, track and trace system to help to protect each other.

So please get tested, be tracked, to become traced.

Around that time the test, track and trace wasn't world beating in my opinion. Hence its not the kind of advert the government would want to promote, regardless of whether you'd agree with the advert content.

Another I created:
I wash my hands because I enjoy singing happy birthday twice.

I cover my face because its fun

I keep my space because I can run faster without others around me.

Then there is:
I don't cover my face because I have asthma, which I say during the period they say I cover my face to.....

By the way, I may have various long tern health conditions but asthma isn't one of them, so I do wear a face mask. Still there are those who can't, so I think of them.

Perhaps all a bit pointless but when you happen to be n a house on your own, got to keep oneself amused.

If I find an advert too annoying I switch the radio off. Then I might get side tracked onto something else and forget to put the radio back on. I'm sure they wasn't the intention of the radio station!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.