• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Quarantine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howardh

Established Member
With the exception of Azores and Madeira, which will continue to be quarantine-free.
Ironic that they do that now, yet didn't treat the Balearics and Canaries as special cases last month. Apparantly that would have been too difficult for us to understand. More "U"turns than the St Gottard Pass.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Richard Scott

Established Member
Ironic that they do that now, yet didn't treat the Balearics and Canaries as special cases last month. Apparantly that would have been too difficult for us to understand. More "U"turns than the St Gottard Pass.
At least doing the Pass is worth the effort!!!

Howardh

Established Member
At least doing the Pass is worth the effort!!!
Whoa yes!! Going from north to south (towards Italy) on one side heavy cloud, rain, snow at the top. Going down the other side towards Ariollo (sp?) not a cloud and 24c at the foot!!

Richard Scott

Established Member
Whoa yes!! Going from north to south (towards Italy) on one side heavy cloud, rain, snow at the top. Going down the other side towards Ariollo (sp?) not a cloud and 24c at the foot!!
Already wishing I was there! Shame about the 14 day prison sentence upon return.

Howardh

Established Member
Already wishing I was there! Shame about the 14 day prison sentence upon return.
Never done the tunnel, that's for softies. Although my old man should take a bow, did it with his Zephyr 6 + 14' caravan in the early 70's!!!

johnnychips

Established Member
Just a note of why it is 4AM. When the quarantine from Spain was announced, you had the daft situation of flights leaving the same day but arriving before midnight, whose passengers would not have to quarantine; whereas those whose flights arrived after midnight did. The 4AM rule assumes all flights will have landed by then.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Just a note of why it is 4AM. When the quarantine from Spain was announced, you had the daft situation of flights leaving the same day but arriving before midnight, whose passengers would not have to quarantine; whereas those whose flights arrived after midnight did. The 4AM rule assumes all flights will have landed by then.

Indeed, probably a very similar idea to the "railway day" being until 0430, because there aren't many trains operating around then, whereas there are plenty that cross midnight.

Chester1

Established Member

I think your taking questioning of the 4am cut off literally when most people who don't like it, really don't like the quarantine situation full stop or at the other end of the spectrum, don't want foreign travel full stop. What you said should be obvious to the vast majority of people but it provides something else to complain about. Some of the quarantine decisions have been political but in the vast majority of cases its reasonable transparent and very predictable. I have seen plenty of people attack the government about Spain (including this week). Its rate is 6 times higher than UK. What planet are those people living on? Even the Canaries and Balearic Islands have case rates that are too high.

The handling of many aspects of the crisis has been questionable but the quarantine policy stands up to scrutiny fairly well. The criteria has been repeatedly explained and the warning is there that any time anyone travels abroad they may be quarantined. Testing to reduce quarantine to 5 or 8 days will most likely introduced once there is sufficient spare capacity.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Next up for quarantine: Poland, Turkey, Bonaire, St Eustatius and Saba.

Travellers arriving in the UK from Poland, Turkey and three Caribbean islands will have to self-isolate for 14 days from 04:00 on Saturday.

It comes after a rise in the infection rate in the affected countries, with Poland reporting 25.9 coronavirus cases per 100,000 people, up from 15.6.

There will also be tougher fines for those who fail to self-isolate - of up to a maximum of £10,000 in England.

One airport group says it is a "further blow" to a "struggling" sector.

The UK reported a further 6,914 coronavirus cases and 59 deaths on Thursday, and stricter measures have been announced to control a spike in areas of northern England.

Announcing the changes to the quarantine list, Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said data from Poland showed that "test positivity has nearly doubled increasing from 3.9% to 5.8% alongside a rapid increase in weekly cases".

He said Turkey had been added to the list because the UK had concerns about the way in which the authorities there reported their data.

Arrivals from the Caribbean islands of Bonaire, St Eustatius and Saba will also have to quarantine from Saturday, he added.

It was previously thought that Italy and the rest of Greece were also to be removed by the quarantine exemption list, but thankfully it didn't happen in the end.

johnnychips

Established Member
Was I dreaming a post somewhere that Germany insisted from today a 14-day quarantine if you came from Wales or NI? It could have been a literal dream, I’ve been sleeping funny.

bramling

Veteran Member

It was previously thought that Italy and the rest of Greece were also to be removed by the quarantine exemption list, but thankfully it didn't happen in the end.

Someone should start a bingo, take bets on next week’s line-up.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
You think the quarantine rules in England are strict?

Five key workers from the UK have been sentenced to two weeks in jail today, for breaking self-isolation rules.

The men, who were welders arriving to work on the Manx Electric Railway, failed to go straight to their accommodation after leaving the Sea Terminal.

They arrived on the Island on the Ben-my-Chree on Tuesday, 29 September.

Instead of heading directly to their hotel, the group of men from Doncaster stopped at Tesco for alcohol and supplies, and then went to McDonalds.

They wore masks in the store, and did so again when appearing before magistrates via video link from police headquarters.

The five key workers were Christopher Lafayette, aged 62, Michael Smith, aged 43, Luke Fletcher, aged 22, and 18-year-olds Jack Smith and Robbie Rhodes.

They came here to do maintenance work on the MER, employed by Haigh Rail, and were due to travel back to the UK today.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
You think the quarantine rules in England are strict?

So, if they arrived on the 29th, and were due to return today, how does self-isolation fit into that period? I seem to recall you mentioned 14 days - as per England? Clearly they had no intention whatsoever of following the very simple law. But, as we all know, the virus is repelled from, and cannot be spread by, South Yorkshire welders - as emerging research tells us.

Are there no welders on the Island?

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
So, if they arrived on the 29th, and were due to return today, how does self-isolation fit into that period?

"Key workers", including contractors where the skills aren't on the island, can be partly exempted from the quarantine to allow them to go and do the work they are coming here to do. So they go to the hotel, go to work (socially distanced), go to the hotel then go home.

Or, in this case, go to Tesco then go to the Jurby Hilton.

I think they thought the rules were a joke, as they seem to be in parts of England.

Well, yes, although apparently they are all in jail at the moment.
:lol:

Last edited:

Chester1

Established Member

It was never likely, just the media trying to get clicks. The 20 per 100,000 threshold is redundant while almost every single part of England is above it. Besides which mainland Italy and Sicily are both below the threshold. Its Sardinia that takes them very slightly over (similar situation in Greece).

Was I dreaming a post somewhere that Germany insisted from today a 14-day quarantine if you came from Wales or NI? It could have been a literal dream, I’ve been sleeping funny.

Yes! Its due to the local lockdowns. The local measures in England don't restrict travel and are classified differently. There are so many in Wales that they have just applied it to whole country. Residents of areas of England and Scotland will likely need a covid test to enter Germany in the near future.

Someone should start a bingo, take bets on next week’s line-up.

I think they'll add quite a few more in next few weeks to ensure they ruin half term

Germany is safe. For residents of England I think mainland Italy and Greece should be fine for a week, hopefully for rest of month. There is a political incentive to delay until after half term. Its possible that some countries could open to Brits over next few weeks as some low risk countries use testing to replace quarantining. Caribbean countries are relying heavily on testing to salvage their tourism industries. There are some incredible deals available that mean its viable for many who couldn't previously afford to go.

Pete_uk

Established Member
As for domestic quarantine, it will be interesting as to what the police and courts do with regards to the MP who traveled to London when she had the symptoms of the virus then traveled back having tested positive.

Richard Scott

Established Member
As for domestic quarantine, it will be interesting as to what the police and courts do with regards to the MP who traveled to London when she had the symptoms of the virus then traveled back having tested positive.
She was probably silly to go in the first place awaiting a result but in all seriousness what option did she have. Miles away from home, what was she supposed to do? Asking as what is the legally correct thing to do in this position? I don't know.

Established Member
She was probably silly to go in the first place awaiting a result but in all seriousness what option did she have. Miles away from home, what was she supposed to do? Asking as what is the legally correct thing to do in this position? I don't know.
She shouldn't have gone in the first place.

kristiang85

Established Member
On Wednesday I booked a trip to Turkey.

On Thursday it was added to the list. Sigh.

It doesn't matter though, as I had cleared my diary for the two weeks after just in case it happened. But the reason for them going on the list is annoying. Maybe the Turks are just doing a good job?

duncanp

Established Member

An MP will have accommodation in London, and in this case she should have self isolated there after testing positive.

Better still would have been not to travel from Glasgow to London whilst awaiting the result of the test.

Domh245

Established Member

Most MPs (especially those coming from further away) will have a second home in London, so that would have been first preference

Yew

Established Member

It doesn't matter though, as I had cleared my diary for the two weeks after just in case it happened. But the reason for them going on the list is annoying. Maybe the Turks are just doing a good job?
Surely by now we should know that Thursday is when Hancock gets out the atlas and dartboard to choose next weeks quarantine restrictions...

bramling

Veteran Member
She shouldn't have gone in the first place.

It’s very hard to justify her decision to go to London, as if she was sufficiently bothered by her symptoms to feel the need to get tested then she should have been isolating.

Having said that, I can’t see any obvious ulterior motive for her doing it. Outwardly it would appear more a misjudgement than a deliberate violation, albeit one which shows appalling judgement.

Unlike Cummings’s birthday treat to the River Tees in Barnard Castle.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Surely by now we should know that Thursday is when Hancock gets out the atlas and dartboard to choose next weeks quarantine restrictions...

Maybe the Brexiteers are joining in with that, so they have the opportunity to throw darts at "Europe"? :D :D :D

It’s very hard to justify her decision to go to London, as if she was sufficiently bothered by her symptoms to feel the need to get tested then she should have been isolating.

I think I'd have seen it differently if she found out she had it in London, assuming she didn't have a flat there (does she?) - there are conceivable cases where a public transport journey is the least of the evils, meaning less contact with others than the other options to remain there. There are niche edge cases where you do need to use a bit of judgement.

Having said that, I can’t see any obvious ulterior motive for her doing it. Outwardly it would appear more a misjudgement than a deliberate violation, albeit one which shows appalling judgement.

I think we quite rightly hold MPs, particularly those for parties which are taking a strict line on COVID, to higher standards of judgement than the bloke in the street, though.

Unlike Cummings’s birthday treat to the River Tees in Barnard Castle.

Well, there is that. But I've made my views clear on that, he should have been sacked in disgrace, and he has blood on his hands (as does Boris for not sacking him) because this incident was the turning point in compliance from "higher than expected" to "low".

jtuk

It's unbelievably dumb when you factor in the supposed rates in the UK, which will no doubt be higher than half the places they've moved into the list of late

Status
Not open for further replies.