• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Queens Train?

Status
Not open for further replies.

baz2277

Hi all, working in Lichfield Staffordshire with a great view of WCML, about 1pm today I'm sure I saw what looked like the Royal Train heading south.

Couldn't find it on Real Train Times - anyone got any info?

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Hi all, working in Lichfield Staffordshire with a great view of WCML, about 1pm today I'm sure I saw what looked like the Royal Train heading south.

Cheers

You won't find it on RTT or any other site that is in the public, or even some in the railway domain. Special arrangements are made to inform staff on a "need to know" basis only.

Shunter_69

I was on the 10:30 EUS to GLC and it passed us somewhere between Crewe and Warrington around 12:00. Wondered if Liz was onboard.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
I was on the 10:30 EUS to GLC and it passed us somewhere between Crewe and Warrington around 12:00. Wondered if Liz was onboard.

I do not believe that Her Majesty has any engagements outside the London area today - should find out though when I get my copy of today's Court Circular. However, I believe that Prince Charles visited Carlisle today so this might have been his train

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member

Cheers

It is classified

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
You won't find it on RTT or any other site that is in the public, or even some in the railway domain. Special arrangements are made to inform staff on a "need to know" basis only.

Well being the Queen's hubby you would know that. ;)

D1009

Established Member
In previous years, the distribution of the Royal Maundy money has often resulted in the use of the Royal Train, but tomorrow the ceremony is being held at St George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, so that won't be necessary.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
If I'm not mistaken, I think Charles was on a Cumbrian visit today.

May I point out post 5 of this thread?

I do not believe that Her Majesty has any engagements outside the London area today - should find out though when I get my copy of today's Court Circular. However, I believe that Prince Charles visited Carlisle today so this might have been his train

tsr

Established Member
Which suggests that the train was used overnight to get there, and he is returning by other means.

As anyone with a Google knows, the Royal Train does appear to spend much of its working life as a portable hotel. Only to be expected when much of the accommodation is for such purposes. There are various stories in the public domain about times when it creeps to a halt overnight in some obscure siding or other, patiently awaiting HM (or HRH)'s next waking hours...

I guess the return trip could have been either after a reasonably early morning visit, or so the set could return to Wolverton.

D1009

Established Member
As anyone with a Google knows, the Royal Train does appear to spend much of its working life as a portable hotel. Only to be expected when much of the accommodation is for such purposes. There are various stories in the public domain about times when it creeps to a halt overnight in some obscure siding or other, patiently awaiting HM (or HRH)'s next waking hours...

I guess the return trip could have been either after a reasonably early morning visit, or so the set could return to Wolverton.
Yes that's the whole point of it, the security is much easier than using a real hotel.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Re-title the thread 'Royal Train' perhaps (which is its proper name and also because it seems that Prince Charles, not the Queen, was the passenger? If not, at least insert the apostrophe in the current title! Ta.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Charles went to Pooley Bridge, Penrith, Keswick and Grasmere according to the media so i assume he went north by Royal Train dismounting at perhaps Penrith to be picked up by car to fulfill his appointments before returning home via another mode of transport, perhaps a helicopter.

The train then returns to base ECS
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Yes it is for "VIP" travel / accomodation. I saw it stabled at on a branch line near Darlington. A very nice armed police officer suggested I take an alternative route to the Chinese as the road outside the station was closed off

Last edited:

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Charles went to Pooley Bridge Penrith, Keswick and Grasmere according to the media so i assume he went north by Royal Train dismounting at perhaps Penrith to be picked up by car to fulfill his appointments before returning home via another mode of transport, perhaps a helicopter.

The train then returns to base ECS

That is almost exactly the situation... Don't ask me how I know, but rest assured that I do know

8A Rail

Established Member
The train arrived at its destination very early morning as there a posting on a local Gen Group. The return was ECS as Prince Charles was busy with his engagements in Cumbria. For info the loco's were 67005 & 006.

If you want to know the public engagements for the Monarchy, check this official website: http://www.royal.gov.uk/Home.aspx and the take a guess which "visits" may involve the Royal Train. That is about as much information you will get on the movements of the train.

Status
Not open for further replies.