• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Query - Electrical Isolation- Cambridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
This weekend there's a bridge being lifted into place across the river Cam, near Cambridge North station adjacent to the railway bridge. This is happening in the early hours of Sunday morning (around 2am!). As far as I've been led to believe this is because the proximity means that Network Rail will need to isolate the overhead electrification (and shut the line?)

As far as I'm aware, for the Cambridge area neutral sections are just south of Shepreth Branch junction (both lines) and at Milton, north of North. Does this mean that electrical isolation is between those points? Or is there a way of isolating a smaller section?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
This weekend there's a bridge being lifted into place across the river Cam, near Cambridge North station adjacent to the railway bridge. This is happening in the early hours of Sunday morning (around 2am!). As far as I've been led to believe this is because the proximity means that Network Rail will need to isolate the overhead electrification (and shut the line?)

As far as I'm aware, for the Cambridge area neutral sections are just south of Shepreth Branch junction (both lines) and at Milton, north of North. Does this mean that electrical isolation is between those points? Or is there a way of isolating a smaller section?

There is a way of isolating a smaller section. However as it is close to Milton Feeder, one end of the isolation is likely to be there. Unless there is additional work further north of course.

MadMac

They can manually (at least, it used to be) "part-section" smaller areas if switches have been provided to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.