• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Question about 2-2-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcrail

Dear all,
anybody an idea, what locomotive this could be?
The number is somehow not visible, the diameter of the driver is estimated to be 6 ft 7 in. Most probably, it's en engine of the Northern Railway and the pic is taken between 1880 and 1890.
1625053465435.png
Original picture is in the ETH Collection in Zurich. See here.

Thanks in advance
Peter

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SargeNpton

Established Member
LNWR Bloomer perhaps...

pcrail

I think, I found out myself:
It's South Eastern Railway Class 201, also known as Cudworth's 7 ft Mail.

Irascible

Established Member
That is a very curious base to the dome, I don't remember seeing anything like that before.

pcrail

That is a very curious base to the dome, I don't remember seeing anything like that before.
That base is actually not the base of the dome. It is the after delivery fitted sandbox wrapped around the dome to keep the sand warm and free-flowing. You see also the sand pipe going from the box down to the rail. Keep in mind that the image is taken at the end of the carrier of this locomotive, which was sent to scrap in the 1880s. Below, you find a pic of the same class, most probably taken shortly after delivery. The sandbox is not yet there, also not the side walls of the cab.

1625299550350.png

Veteran Member
That base is actually not the base of the dome. It is the after delivery fitted sandbox wrapped around the dome to keep the sand warm and free-flowing. You see also the sand pipe going from the box down to the rail. Keep in mind that the image is taken at the end of the carrier of this locomotive, which was sent to scrap in the 1880s. Below, you find a pic of the same class, most probably taken shortly after delivery. The sandbox is not yet there, also not the side walls of the cab.

View attachment 99173
Thanks, I had wondered what it was. This is a wonderful archive!

Irascible

Established Member

Ah, now I see it after you mention the pipe - wasn't looking for it! thanks.

pcrail

Sandboxes were not common at the start of the railway age, also not the coal-fired boiler of this locomotive. Early engines were running on coke.

Rescars

Nice example of simple (non-automatic) vacuum brake apparatus on the side of the smokebox.

Taunton

Established Member
What a nuisance place for a sandbox, having to lift the sand right up there.

Bottom side of the boiler is just as warm as the top!

pcrail

Many railways had silos for sand, so the sand was just falling by gravity in the sandbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.