• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Question about catering on long distance trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

al78

Established Member
I will (assuming the COVID situation continues to improve) be going to Scotland at the end of May/early June to do some backpacking/wild camping and am trying to plan how I get back home.

I am initially flying up to Glasgow then getting a bus to Fort William then either train or taxi to Glenfinnan.

Coming back, I am thinking of either getting a day train all the way back to Horsham or getting a combination of trains and tram to Edinburgh airport and flying to Gatwick.

In the first option, the journey will take nearly 12 hours so the question is what to do for meals.

After a week of physical exhertion I would not want to be snacking all day, I'd want at least one substantial meal.

My question is, is it possible to get a decent meal on the train from Glasgow to Euston, or is it restricted to light catering?

The journey is too long to break at a city and eat in a pub so if the on-train catering is very limited, the only options if I take the rail journey all the way home is to either go hungry, or look into breaking the journey overnight somewhere (would that require two tickets).

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
I wouldn't bet on anything like a full meal service (or hot buffet) so soon - and Govt guidance IIRC discourage eatings on trains because of the need to remove one's mask.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I will (assuming the COVID situation continues to improve) be going to Scotland at the end of May/early June to do some backpacking/wild camping and am trying to plan how I get back home. I am initially flying up to Glasgow then getting a bus to Fort William then either train or taxi to Glenfinnan. Coming back, I am thinking of either getting a day train all the way back to Horsham or getting a combination of trains and tram to Edinburgh airport and flying to Gatwick. In the first option, the journey will take nearly 12 hours so the question is what to do for meals. After a week of physical exhertion I would not want to be snacking all day, I'd want at least one substantial meal. My question is, is it possible to get a decent meal on the train from Glasgow to Euston, or is it restricted to light catering? The journey is too long to break at a city and eat in a pub so if the on-train catering is very limited, the only options if I take the rail journey all the way home is to either go hungry, or look into breaking the journey overnight somewhere (would that require two tickets).

Assuming you are travelling on the first or second train from Glenfinnan to Glasgow, the connection is such that you will have around an hour from arrival at Queen St to departure from Central. It’s a very leisurely 15 minute walk, and easily doable in 10 with luggage (I’ve done platform to platform in 8 minutes with rucksack and a big heavy roller bag, at a decent walking pace).

Allowing for being at Central 10 minutes before departure that still leaves you a minimum of 35 minutes to get a decent meal. I recommend Pizza Punks on St Vincent St, who will sort you in well under that time; indeed enough time for two Staropramen from the tank. After a week’s walking and a belly full of their sourdough pizza, you’ll sleep your way to Euston. If 35-40 mins is too tight for you to enjoy a meal, get the next Avanti South!

Last edited:

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Your obvious break is Glasgow city centre for a meal. Just time your trains accordingly.

king_walnut

The train from Glasgow to Euston is 4 and a half hours.

In Glasgow you have a lot of options right near the station or even inside it, and when you get to Euston there are also a wealth of options.

If you can't go 4 and a half hours without food, they sell sandwiches crisps and chocolate on the train, or you could stock up before you get on, there's a Sainsbury's local right opposite the main entrance of Glasgow Central.

If you get hungry walking from Sainsburys to the train then there's a Burger King pretty close to the platform.

al78

Established Member
The train from Glasgow to Euston is 4 and a half hours.

In Glasgow you have a lot of options right near the station or even inside it, and when you get to Euston there are also a wealth of options.

If you can't go 4 and a half hours without food, they sell sandwiches crisps and chocolate on the train, or you could stock up before you get on, there's a Sainsbury's local right opposite the main entrance of Glasgow Central.

If you get hungry walking from Sainsburys to the train then there's a Burger King pretty close to the platform.
I don't have a problem doing the train journey without food if I can get a substantial meal between connection times. It looks like I will have a long connection time at Glasgow (longer if I take the bus to Glasgow), long enough to pop into the Wetherspoons pub almost opposit Queen Street station and order a hot meal. It shouldn't take more than 45 minutes to order and eat I'd have thought. If I have a good meal in Glasgow I don't mind getting a baguette from Upper Crust or somewhere similar at Euston or Victoria if I am feeling peckish.

al78

Established Member
Feeling a bit confused by your plan to visit Wetherspoons to obtain a "good meal"? ;)
It serves meals I enjoy such as a mixed grill or fish and chips, which will fill me up and are not expensive, and because Glasgow is not in SE England, it won't take forever and a day to get served.

There is the potential complication as to whether we will be allowed to just walk into a pub and order a meal in early June, or whether social distancing will still be in full force and one has to book in advance.

route101

Established Member
Plenty of options in Glasgow. You could even ask for takeaway from a restaurant and eat on train if time is tight. I had this problem last July for 0648 LNER from Glasgow, stocked up night before, only Tesco was open and I often want something hot.

Goromir

Last year, my brother went on the train from Glasgow to Euston. As far as I remember, he said that they served good food there, but not full-fledged dishes that will be enough for you if you are hungry. By the way, it was the best trip he ever had. Last year, my brother decided to go on a few hikes and the trip to Glenfinnan was really the most memorable. This place is really amazing. I'm not a fan of such trips, but even I was inspired when I saw the photos from this hike. I hope this year my brother and I will be able to go on a little hike together. So far, I only read articles about hiking on Sam @ Samsoutdoors.co.uk.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.