• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Question about "Set Down Only" (late night services)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaillark

Yes, it's an opposite scenario.

On a relatively recent occasion when Reading passengers were reportedly overcarried to Swindon, they were not charged and allowed to travel back to Reading for free.

Some people appeared to be extremely upset that GWR allowed this, which was perhaps even more amusing than the original incident.

Yes that was the case in my experience travelling earlier this year on the 1912 Paddington to Bristol HST . It's first stop on Mon to Thursday was Swindon. Guards announced several times that this train does not stop at Reading but each time despite announcements there were quite a few Reading passengers.
The Guard and buffet crew just advised taking the next train back to Reading from Swindon at no charge.

I think that attitude from staff is the best of customer service the railway provides despite being the passengers fault.
BTW it was an experience to pass through Reading at 50mph non stop!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
However, on the return journey (where Bolton is pick-up only) the onboard PIS announces Bolton! If you were caught with a ticket to Bolton, they would probably find it difficult to argue that you weren't allowed to be using that train, given that the announcements stated that you could. (Don't take my word for that though!)

I recall being on one at Picc and the guard announced "this train does not call at Bolton". Liar, I thought. :)

Kite159

Veteran Member
TPE from Scotland to Manchester is set-down-only at Bolton, to discourage commuters from using those services to get into Manchester, and clogging up the train for long-distance passengers. I have no idea what CIS does at Bolton.

I assume that tickets from Bolton to Manchester are therefore invalid on this train, even if you do board it?

However, on the return journey (where Bolton is pick-up only) the onboard PIS announces Bolton! If you were caught with a ticket to Bolton, they would probably find it difficult to argue that you weren't allowed to be using that train, given that the announcements stated that you could. (Don't take my word for that though!)

When I was at Bolton a few weeks ago when a 350 was due, it was announced as "This train stops to set down only, do not board".

-----------

Stratford is set-down only for the services from Norwich (and some other services), although they do gets advertised on the screen as heading to London. I think the only time you can't board is during the morning peak when access to platform 9/10 is controlled as anything heading towards Shenfield & beyond go from platform 10A

Status
Not open for further replies.