• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Question about steam engine maintenance in the 50's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harlesden

I've been watching this video about the (roughly) fortnightly thorough wash and brush up each steam engine would go through.
What I'm wondering about is after the firebox has been dropped (into an ash pit below the engine) how would the engine then be moved on into the shed where the bulk of maintenance is carried out?
"Wash and Brush Up" 1953 - Trains & British Railways - YouTube
(the firebox is dropped at approximately 5 minutes into the video)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

E&W Lucas

Established Member
The first part of that film just shows end of day disposal. Take water, empty smokebox, drop fire or clean fire as required, clean out ashpan, refill boiler. Even with a dropped fire, the loco is still in steam, and capable of movement. Obviously, if you're not able to move at the end of the process, you use another loco!

I haven't time to sit through the rest of the film, but it sounds like a description of a " Boiler Washout" and periodic exam.

Status
Not open for further replies.