• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Question about the journey experience on LNER 10-car Azuma formations

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom73

Two physically separate 5-car units. Are each of the two units fully staffed as separate units.
I remember an early morning northbound journey from London to Sheffield on EMT utilizing two separate units in the same way. I was denied a cooked breakfast because I was sitting in the "wrong unit" with the "chef" located in the other unit. I had to make do with a bacon roll. My very first experience of First Class was therefore not very positive.
Does it really take a "chef" to prepare simple full English breakfast?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I had to make do with a bacon roll. My very first experience of First Class was therefore not very positive.

sigh.

Usually there would be two crews. I guess if one person goes sick or is late then the train runs under staffed. And yes, it does take a chef ( and they are actually chefs) to do the cooking because that is their job. They are trained to use the equipment

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
sigh.

Usually there would be two crews. I guess if one person goes sick or is late then the train runs under staffed. And yes, it does take a chef ( and they are actually chefs) to do the cooking because that is their job. They are trained to use the equipment

Though if the OP wasn't advised that they might wish to move to the other unit if they wanted the full English prior to departure that is poor customer service.

Failed Unit

Established Member
sigh.

I think some LNER breakfasts are not Chef cooked. You can tell as they have no eggs.

Failed Unit

Established Member
the only time i have been in first class on LNER a bloke in whites did the cooking. I will bow to your knowledge.
The 1006 London - Lincoln doesn’t but really for the handful of passengers in first they don’t need one. The “all day” offering is defiantly done by the crew on the Lincoln route.

I don’t think many of the core route trains doesn’t have a chef. But LNER do warn you in the timetable the egg may be replaced. Just don’t tell you which trains.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
The 1006 London - Lincoln doesn’t but really for the handful of passengers in first they don’t need one. The “all day” offering is defiantly done by the crew on the Lincoln route.

I don’t think many of the core route trains doesn’t have a chef. But LNER do warn you in the timetable the egg may be replaced. Just don’t tell you which trains.

thanks - i assumed, perhaps wrongly, the chefs only did breakfasts

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
The All Day stuff is, I think, microwaved (it certainly tastes it!) but the dinner trains and the highest profile breakfast trains definitely have chefs.

I can see crew shortages being a common occurrence on the 2x5 Azumas, if I'm honest

Failed Unit

Established Member
I don't recall ever (or maybe once) VT failing to double-staff double Voyager formations. Why do other TOCs seem to find it hard?
Not sure if LNER have to be honest.

My experience is from the former regional railway operators and XC. Considering LNER normally have 4 or 5 members of crew per train I can see them double crewing. I suspect you may have a chef in one half and not the other. But as I know, you don’t need a chef for the majority of food. Even now stuff breaks so you can have services with no hot meals.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Two physically separate 5-car units. Are each of the two units fully staffed as separate units.
I remember an early morning northbound journey from London to Sheffield on EMT utilizing two separate units in the same way. I was denied a cooked breakfast because I was sitting in the "wrong unit" with the "chef" located in the other unit. I had to make do with a bacon roll. My very first experience of First Class was therefore not very positive.

I agree, I'd expect to be warned about the full First Class food service only being available in one portion of a double-set train. Even if it means stations either making a specific announcement about it and/or messages displayed on screens at the station. (If there was time before departure also an announcement onboard the train before departure)

EMR state on their website "Please note: on the 08:56 London to Sheffield and the 06:49 Sheffield to London weekday services, a full breakfast is only offered in the front First Class carriages. A lighter breakfast service is available in coaches J and K."

westv

Established Member
The All Day stuff is, I think, microwaved (it certainly tastes it!) but the dinner trains and the highest profile breakfast trains definitely have chefs.
When I get the Monday morning Hull Executive I've seen a chap dressed like a chef so I'll assume he is one.

DanNCL

Established Member
I believe there's a full set of catering crew in both the front and rear units. I've definitely seen it advertised once or twice on journey check before when there's only been catering in one of the two units, but that seems to be the exception rather than the norm thankfully.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

All but a handful of breakfast trains will have chefs (one of VTECs innovations to be fair) and you can work it out as if you've not got a chef you'll get a "tasty soufflé" rather than a fried egg. Chefs will work a number of other services during the day (as it's a separate grade above your standard CSA and they have a full shift of work to day!) and if they appear they'll do the food but as you correctly state it's a reheat job (steam oven not microwave). Personally I think the results are pretty good! All the "Chef's Signature Menu" trains (the ones doing dinner service from Kings Cross) also have chefs (as the menu name implies!).

I suspect overall that LNER probably employ and roster a similar number of chefs that have always plied the ECML. Possibly more to be honest as there are more services!

Status
Not open for further replies.