• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Question for Gareth Hale

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Chaz said:
It's not really a waste. In America you can get anything next to nothing unlike the UK.

We can get TVs for about £30 due to my mum having a staff discount and we have something like 5 TVs in our house which are all in frequent use.

Besides nothings a waste if it's used.
But that American lifestyle is totally unsustainable long term, plus it's very selfish.

It is wasteful on the planet's resources, however you look at it.

Gareth certainly won't be winning any environmental awards, and if the population of the world all had his habits then the planet would not last long at all.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gareth Hale

Cockfosters said:
Indeed, but I don't put it in my sig ;). Just mentioned it to show GH it's not oh-so-wonderful...

(BTW for any confusion I have 5 machines of my own and the other 5 are other people's).

I never said I wanted to be wonderful at all.

yorkie said:
But that American lifestyle is totally unsustainable long term, plus it's very selfish.

Gareth certainly won't be winning any environmental awards, and if the population of the world all had his habits then the planet would not last long at all.
I do a lot of r[FONT=&quot]ecycling :blob5:[/FONT]

devon_metro

Established Member
yorkie said:

I 100% agree, when it comes to our planet the US are so selfish!

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Gareth Hale said:
Our car gets 11MPG and the car I want does 13.5MPG
11MPG????? JEESE and hear is me wanting a car that does as many miles to the gallon as humanely possible - you're just illustrating how damn wasteful you are!

David

Established Member
11MPG???? :shock: I get 45mpg average with my car, and I'm still struggling to be able to run it. Mind you, what do you expect when petrol is about £1.50 a gallon in America? :rolleyes:

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Sprog said:
F**king yanks :roll: :mad:
lol couldn't agree more with that statement sprog!
Out of interest what car do you have and do you want gareth?

Gareth Hale

Petrol is $2.45 a gallon today, £1.31 a gallon.
[EDIT]
Sprog said:
F**king yanks :roll: :mad:

For the last time, I AM NOT AN AMERICAN. I AM A LANCASTRIAN!!!!!!!

My car does 50 mpg, has 140 bhp and travels from 0-60 in less than 10 seconds. It's well built, spacious, not oversized for my needs and efficient. No American car is well built, efficient or tasteful and ALL are oversized. Everything about America is vulgar (except some nice ladies) and about living life to excess. It's like they're still in the 80s, greed is good and all that.

£0.964/litre = $6.68/US gallon - 26/04/06 average unleaded price across the UK @ BP

Compare to the price Gareth quoted. And Americans have the sheer nerve to bitch about fuel prices. I think they should pay ours!

devon_metro

Established Member
Then if you are english you would want a non-gas gussling car. Steer away from the certain bad aspects of the american lifestyle! And don't listen to a word George Mush says; if it makes sense that is!

Gareth Hale

Its been on the news because of the increase in petrol prices, its been non stop talk since it got above $1 a gallon. The car I want in the UK does 69MPG but its not avaliable yet here.

David

Established Member
$1 a gallon!!! (for us ignorent English, that's about 55-60p). I wish petrol was that cheap a litre, let alone a gallon....

Tom B

Established Member
Americans on T-S.com constantly bat on about fuel prices... because their Govt doesn't tax them because they are addicted to their stupid cars...

David

Established Member
No, it's not that at all. America is 1 of the very few countries that will not sign th Kyoto Treaty (an agreement to lower greenhouse gas emissions). Result? Cars that get a stupidly low MPG (sometimes GPM), Industries that pollute the atmosphere a lot more than other countries, and less taxation all round. (The americans don't have to pay anything to upgrade cars/industry to meet the standards set in the Kyoto Treaty).

That is why they pay a lot less per gallon compared to here, and because of that, they are not bothered how mucg petrol their vehicles guzzle.

David

Established Member
Gareth Hale said:
Ive heard the hummer does 1/2 mile to a gallon.
60006 Scunthorpe Ironmaster said:
Cars that get a stupidly low MPG (sometimes GPM),
Proves my point. (for those of you wondering what GPM stand for, it's Gallons per mile.)

H

HR2

dvn1357 said:
And don't listen to a word George Mush says; if it makes sense that is!

Bird Brain has never said anything sensible in his life nor has his brother Jeb [Who by-the-way I would guess will be the Republican nomination for president in 08. Either him or another dead bonce...Schwartzenegger]

Richmond

Texas is filled with oil, so is the gulf of mexico and Los Angeles has huge reserves that is why Beverly Hills is so rich, not the film stars but the oil that is pumped out of that area hidden inside huge mansions with no one living there.

Dennis

Established Member
It must be appreciated that some parts of the USA are a lot more ecologically minded than others, California being an outstanding example. Here, legislation is in place which actively encourages 'greener' cars and is acting as a major driver to shifting away from traditional fossil fuels.

There is also significantly more use of 'bio-diesel' in the USA than anywhere else in the world, much of it being produced from used vegetable oil originating from the catering industry.

To produce bio-diesel, the used oil is simply filtered, placed in a reactor with methanol (and an acid catalyst), left for a while and then out comes the fuel in the form of fatty acid methyl esters. This fuel, in addition to originating from renewable sources (rapeseed oil) also produces more power and less soot particles than conventional diesel.

I seem to recall the use of bio-diesel was being trialled on Swedish railways and has certainly been used to fuel buses in the UK although I don't recall the outcome of these.

Status
Not open for further replies.