• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Question for the rail staff that fequent here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bungle73

On Moderation
If you came across someone travelling on a DSB Railcard, but who was travelling with a bicycle would you consider it "odd"?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Captain Chaos

If you came across someone travelling on a DSB Railcard, but who was travelling with a bicycle would you consider it "odd"?

No. They could be Epileptic. They may decide to use it as a way of keeping fit. Or they could have a mental illness etc.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Short answer no.

Long answer is there is a regular traveller in the Central Belt (Scotland) who has severe difficulty walking (I won't specify illness) but when he clips his feet onto the pedals he's off like a rocket straight as a die!

There could be lots of other reasons I suppose e.g. nothing to stop a deaf person cycling.

Cheers

Bungle73

On Moderation
OK, thanks. :)

I have a DSB Railcard and I was thinking of getting on my bike again (which I haven't been using a long while), which would involve train travel, and I was little worried about staff becoming suspicious when the checked my ticket. Thanks for the reassurance.

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
No. They could be Epileptic. They may decide to use it as a way of keeping fit. Or they could have a mental illness etc.

Beat me to it. Lots of people are able to claim such a railcard for reasons that are not clear straight away.

The third of for the "carer" also helps! ;)

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Nar don't be daft, nowt suspicious about it at all. There's a regular passenger I come across and he has a bike and a DSB and always has a vaild ticket. No problem at all! :)

GadgetMan

You have nothing to worry about. As revenue staff, it is not our job to question what qualifies you for a DSB railcard. That's between you and the authority that issues it to you.

Bungle73

On Moderation
I was worried they might think I was using someone else's Railcard.

Anon Mouse

Established Member

If you are that worried about it, you could always have something with your name on as back up. As the previous poster said, its not down to us to determine who should or should not have a DSB. Don't worry, you'll be fine! :)

34D

Established Member
If you are that worried about it, you could always have something with your name on as back up. As the previous poster said, its not down to us to determine who should or should not have a DSB. Don't worry, you'll be fine! :)

Indeed, as someone who sometimes drives buses, it amazes me at the number of people with an ENCTS orange edge card. But as long as the photo is vaguely similar, it isn't my place to question.

Captain Chaos

I concur with Anon Mouse.

We are not here to judge whether you should have your railcard or not. Just carry something with your name on just incase and you'll be fine!

M60lad

I've got a National Disabled Bus Pass issued by GMPTE (now TfGM) as I suffer from a mild form of Epilepsy and I've never had any problems using on the trains in/around Greater Manchester and looking at me you wouldn't think I had a disability

GadgetMan

I can't understand why they haven't introduced photo's to go onto the railcard for senior citizens and disabled rail cards. This would reduce the chance of railcards being transferred.

Ferret

Established Member

Nope! Many ailments entitle a person to a disabled railcard. Some of those would not prevent somebody from riding a bike!

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Indeed, as someone who sometimes drives buses, it amazes me at the number of people with an ENCTS orange edge card. But as long as the photo is vaguely similar, it isn't my place to question.
I'm one of those with said orange pass, look at me you could tell... I have become well known it seems and never have troubles in Norwich any more however dare I go anywhere else I am questioned for a second look.

Smart card areas included!

I am happy for the driver to have a second look because I know my LA issued it to me and it is my pass, I've got nothing to hide. They have nothing to question either :smile:

TP

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I have a DSB railcard as I am on lower rate mobility for Disability Living Allowance. Doesn't prevent me from riding a bike. In fact, I really don't "look" disabled at all.

As others have said, the DSB railcard is given for a wide range of reasons! Enjoy the trip and your 34% off. ;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Can recumbent bikes fit on today's trains ok. An answer to those with certain mobility issues.

Good question - I don't believe they can, if you're talking about the cycle racks on say, a Pendolino or Voyager, or on a DVT. Does anyone else know?

cyclebytrain

I have a DSB railcard as I am on lower rate mobility for Disability Living Allowance. Doesn't prevent me from riding a bike. In fact, I really don't "look" disabled at all.

As others have said, the DSB railcard is given for a wide range of reasons! Enjoy the trip and your 34% off. ;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Good question - I don't believe they can, if you're talking about the cycle racks on say, a Pendolino or Voyager, or on a DVT. Does anyone else know?

You'd be able to get at least two on a Pendo by my reckoning (taking the space of a tandem each). Unsure about if you could get one on a voyager or not -what is a typical wheelbase of a recumbent (I should know, but can't remember!)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.