• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Question.. (Southern related)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jake0

Hello there!

Right i'm going to london (Victoria) this sunday for a day and i normally get the direct Worthing - London victoria southern train.

HOWEVER

This sunday there is engineering works between Brighton and Three Bridges so a replacement bus service is in operation...

My question is:

Is it possible for me to travel either to Littlehampton / Ford from Worthing, change there and get the train that goes up through the arun valley? (Through Arundel, Horsham e.t.c) reason being i always try and avoid rail replacement busses if possible.

Ive checked on thetrainline and there is direct trains running from both Ford and Littlehampton that go up to London Victoria with no replacement busses in operation.

Here is a map

trains.jpg

If this is possible what would i ask for / say at the ticket desk at Worthing station?

Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Jake

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Try www.nationalrail.co.uk and enter your proposed journey into the journey planner, ensuring you put Horsham or something in the 'via' box (if it exists, I've not checked). If fares and times come up, it's valid. If you get this, take a print-out of it, to ensure any desperate grippers don't stop you going this way. Many a time a desperate gripper can and will try and stop you going a valid way because it's not the most direct. Having the print-out of the journey details will stop him in his tracks.

Besides, I can't see why it wouldn't be valid.

EDIT: No luck on either National Rail or FGW's sites for that route. So it's either get the bus on the direct way or buy a ticket to Barnham or Ford and then another ticket to London from there

jake0

FGWFan said:
Try www.nationalrail.co.uk and enter your proposed journey into the journey planner, ensuring you put Horsham or something in the 'via' box (if it exists, I've not checked). If fares and times come up, it's valid. If you get this, take a print-out of it, to ensure any desperate grippers don't stop you going this way. Many a time a desperate gripper can and will try and stop you going a valid way because it's not the most direct. Having the print-out of the journey details will stop him in his tracks.

Besides, I can't see why it wouldn't be valid.

EDIT: No luck on either National Rail or FGW's sites for that route. So it's either get the bus on the direct way or buy a ticket to Barnham or Ford and then another ticket to London from there

Alright, thanks a lot for replying.

Jake

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The question is this: is it permitted to go via Ford/Littlehampton on a Worthing to London Terminals ticket?

It's not the shortest route, or within 3 miles of the shortest route.

There are no direct trains.

So we have to look at mapped routes

Worthing has two routeing points: Brighton Group, Ford Group

So let's look at fares (you will be getting a One day travelcard I guess but I can't look those up, but they're basically a SDR/CDR plus add-on).

Worthing to London
Ticket Type Route/Company Price
CHEAP DAY RETURN ANY PERMITTED 19.60 GBP
SAVER RETURN ANY PERMITTED 23.80 GBP
STANDARD DAY RETURN ANY PERMITTED 35.70 GBP
FIRST DAY RETURN ANY PERMITTED 54.00 GBP

Ford to London

As you can see the fares from Ford to London are lower or equal to (in this case all are equal) the fares from Worthing to London.

This means Ford group can be used as a valid routeing point.

Valid routes from Ford group to London group are on maps:
LB
LB+SC
SC

LB is Ford-Brighton-East Crodyon-London (various termini, variety of routes)
SC is Ford-Horsham-London (various termini, variety of routes)
LB+SC is a combination of the two, going via Brighton on LB and then various possible routes into London shown on SC.

So, the answer is a definite YES.

(Had the answer been No then I would have expected an easement due to the engineering work)

jake0

yorkie said:
The question is this: is it permitted to go via Ford/Littlehampton on a Worthing to London Terminals ticket?

It's not the shortest route, or within 3 miles of the shortest route.

There are no direct trains.

So we have to look at mapped routes

Worthing has two routeing points: Brighton Group, Ford Group

So let's look at fares (you will be getting a One day travelcard I guess but I can't look those up, but they're basically a SDR/CDR plus add-on).

Worthing to London

Ford to London

As you can see the fares from Ford to London are lower or equal to (in this case all are equal) the fares from Worthing to London.

This means Ford group can be used as a valid routeing point.

Valid routes from Ford group to London group are on maps:
LB
LB+SC
SC

LB is Ford-Brighton-East Crodyon-London (various termini, variety of routes)
SC is Ford-Horsham-London (various termini, variety of routes)
LB+SC is a combination of the two, going via Brighton on LB and then various possible routes into London shown on SC.

So, the answer is a definite YES.

(Had the answer been No then I would have expected an easement due to the engineering work)

Ohh thankyou very much!

you've been a great help!

regards:

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.