• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Question - Victoria to Ashton-U-Lyne Line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Snap

Established Member
Hey guys,

Just a question. Yesterday I noticed that TPE 185s and 158s were going past my house. They seem to do this every Saturday, and go into Victoria via Ashton-Under-Lyne. What is the reason for this?

Also, to my surprise and shock, last night at about 5:30, a Virgin 57/3 dragging a Pendolino came past my house too, heading for Victoria. Why...?

Info would be appreciated. :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mushroom

Apparently its engineering on the WCML? Most TPE services are going into Victoria instead of Piccadilly.

Coxster

Established Member
Could it be something to do with Piccadilly to Guide Bridge being closed as well as the line through Chinley, therefore cutting off that line for direct Manchester to Sheffield services?

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/download/managed_files/Chinley_and_Bredbury.JPG
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/download/managed_files/Manchester_Piccadilly_and_Guide_Bridge.JPG

Off Topic: I'm sure you already know but your line will be closed a bit further up next weekend: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/download/managed_files/Marsden_and_Greenfield.JPG

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
TPE services are diverting via Ashton to Manchester Victoria some weekends due to the closure at Guide Bridge, but have also been diverting via the Caldervale line on Sundays due to the closures at Greenfield.

Hull services are terminating at Huddersfield, and I presume Airport trains are reversing via Salford Crescent though I'm not sure.

1D53

Established Member
Stanedge Tunnel is going to be closed too.

Hull - Man Pic's terminating at Huddersfield.
Scarborough - Liverpool split between terminating Huddersfield or running via Victoria and Newton-Le-Willows (avoiding Huddersfield)
Middlesbrough/Newcastle - Man Air running via Victoria and Salford Crescent. Most daytime services terminating Victoria with bus connections. If I remember rightly the Boro ones are stopping at Dewsbury, Huddersfield (reverse), while Newcastle ones are stopping Dewsbury and going straight via Brighouse.

metrocammel

Hey guys,

Just a question. Yesterday I noticed that TPE 185s and 158s were going past my house. They seem to do this every Saturday, and go into Victoria via Ashton-Under-Lyne. What is the reason for this?

Also, to my surprise and shock, last night at about 5:30, a Virgin 57/3 dragging a Pendolino came past my house too, heading for Victoria. Why...?

Info would be appreciated. :)

Yes, they are diverted into Vic at the moment...

but NEVER NEVER NEVER say Ashton-Under-Lyne.... It is Ashton-under-Lyne!!! It's a pet hate of mine when people write Ashton-U-Lyne!! It is incorrect English!!! so, Ashton-under-Lyne please!!! (end of rant!) ;)

Could it be something to do with Piccadilly to Guide Bridge being closed as well as the line through Chinley, therefore cutting off that line for direct Manchester to Sheffield services?

The Chinley bit is on the Hope Valley, so doesnt' effect Standege Transpennine services (other than the bit from Picc- Guide Bridge- meaning the Vic diversions).

I cant imagine why a 57+pendo would be traversing past Droylesden though, as the only service that is booked for 57+pendo into Picc, is a 2030 VXC arrival. But why that would go into Vic (and from a West direction!) beats me.... unless it was for some reason it had come via Ashton Moss Jcn, (from Stockport via Reddish South) - but I cant see why it wasn't routed into Picc, as P13/14, and the lines to/from Stockport (and LO) are unaffected.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I cant imagine why a 57+pendo would be traversing past Droylesden though, as the only service that is booked for 57+pendo into Picc, is a 2030 VXC arrival. But why that would go into Vic (and from a West direction!) beats me.... unless it was for some reason it had come via Ashton Moss Jcn, (from Stockport via Reddish South) - but I cant see why it wasn't routed into Picc, as P13/14, and the lines to/from Stockport (and LO) are unaffected.

Perhaps some kind of incident on the Picadilly line? Or even an empty stock move? (Probably wrong but just a couple of ideas :))

Status
Not open for further replies.