• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

questions about DB ECx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
ICE4 could use its 250kph in the Hannover to Berlin stretch. I just think calling a loco set ICE is fooling people. Then they should use the EC brand.

I think in essence there is no real need for two IC brands. So instead of IC and IR, you have ICE and IC. It sort of made sense when there was a considerable quality difference (old non aircon Bm235 LHCS vs an ICE set) but now there isn't really.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Austriantrain

Established Member
I think in essence there is no real need for two IC brands. So instead of IC and IR, you have ICE and IC. It sort of made sense when there was a considerable quality difference (old non aircon Bm235 LHCS vs an ICE set) but now there isn't really.

Yes, the ICE brand has been about quality standards for a long time, not about speed.

duesselmartin

Established Member
Both the ICE 1 and 2 series are loco hauled, so I don't see any difference in that regard.

Apologies for double posting, but it seems like there is a new look for the ICE L as well, so not just a new name.

View attachment 101387

View attachment 101388

The images above are being shared on social media, but unfortunately I can't find an exact source. This person gives a comparison between the old and the new renders: https://twitter.com/Cas_Plz/status/1428735588295925769
Any details out yet on that loco?

ICE-L for low entry.

Last edited:

the sniper

Established Member
Both the ICE 1 and 2 series are loco hauled, so I don't see any difference in that regard.

Apologies for double posting, but it seems like there is a new look for the ICE L as well, so not just a new name.

View attachment 101387

View attachment 101388

The images above are being shared on social media, but unfortunately I can't find an exact source. This person gives a comparison between the old and the new renders: https://twitter.com/Cas_Plz/status/1428735588295925769

Looks rather like Chinese knockoff Siemens Vectron now...

AlexNL

Established Member
Multiple voltage ICE4 would have been better than an additional small Talgo fleet.
That is exactly what DB ordered about a decade ago. DB ordered 12 seven car "ICx" trains which would be fitted with all the equipment necessary for service to the Netherlands.

However, by then the deregulation of the long distance bus market happened in Germany and in a relatively short period of time, DB lost lots of customers to buses which not only were cheaper but also offered a better passenger atmosphere (new vehicles, WiFi). This was during the height of the global credit crisis, when many bus companies popped up (nowadays only Flixbus remains).

DB reacted by investing significantly in an upgrade of their long distance network and rolling stock. One of the results of this is that the order for the ICx-NL was changed into an order for more ICx trains for domestic use, and that the speed was increased from 230 km/h to 250 km/h.

Fragezeichnen

so just as the IC was downgraded with the Bombardier Twindexx sets, the ICE will be watered down.
Multiple voltage ICE4 would have been better than an additional small Talgo fleet.

I think DB sees the ICE brand as defined by passenger comfort and services, not speed and stopping patterns. The ICE-L will, for instance, have a full service restuarant car, which IC trains do not have. For limited stop services they have the "ICE Sprinter" brand.

The sets need to run with Diesel locomotives to Westerland and Oberstdorf, so multiple voltage will not help.

Giugiaro

The thing now looks literally like a Stadler EuroDual. I wouldn't even associate it with Talgo if it wasn't for their characteristic car design.

Kreissignal

I think DB sees the ICE brand as defined by passenger comfort and services, not speed and stopping patterns. The ICE-L will, for instance, have a full service restuarant car, which IC trains do not have. For limited stop services they have the "ICE Sprinter" brand.

The sets need to run with Diesel locomotives to Westerland and Oberstdorf, so multiple voltage will not help.
I've just got back from Oberstdorf. The contrast between a Talgo ICE-L and the hellish Baureihe 612s that otherwise infest that area (climbing the surrounding mountains is easier than getting your suitcases on board & stowed away) will be quite dramatic ;)

Stephen Lee

On Moderation
I've just got back from Oberstdorf. The contrast between a Talgo ICE-L and the hellish Baureihe 612s that otherwise infest that area (climbing the surrounding mountains is easier than getting your suitcases on board & stowed away) will be quite dramatic ;)
well.....I wondered if the 218s will be fully retired after the ICE-L went into service:?::?::?:

Status
Not open for further replies.