• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

questions about night trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen Lee

On Moderation
May I ask some questions:
1. knowing that there are proposals of Nightjet expansion to Barcelona as well as some night trains which serves France/Spain in the TEE 2.0 proposal, but I afraid there isn't any suitable loco for those routes(especially in Spain some RENFE 252s are fitted for operation in France but they were only available in the Freight Traffic, for France they can hire Prima/Astride from AKIEM)
2.I wondered if the SNCF Intercities de Nuit can restore routes that got cancelled in 2013-2017 or be integrated into the ÖBB Nightjet network .......
3.Although the TEE 2.0 Night train network will be disguised as EuroNight but i wondered if they will become a part of Snalltaget/ÖBB Nightjet........

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

biko

I don’t know the full answers to your questions but I’ll answer as far as I know:
1: TEE 2.0 is a long-term vision meaning this will not happen next year. In the meantime, new locomotives can be designed or existing ones such as the vectron be certified for new countries. Furthermore, changing locos at the border is very common for night trains so that means not 1 locomotive is needed suitable for every country on the route.

2: I believe there was a thread on here recently on some Intercité de Nuit services that will be restored. Those routes were not really profitable I think and connected Paris to smaller French cities so I don’t think ÖBB will have interest in operating it.

3: I believe TEE 2.0 is a vision of the German government, so it fully depends on whether they actually are spending money on it and then on which company wins the tender.

Stephen Lee

On Moderation
I don’t know the full answers to your questions but I’ll answer as far as I know:
1: TEE 2.0 is a long-term vision meaning this will not happen next year. In the meantime, new locomotives can be designed or existing ones such as the vectron be certified for new countries. Furthermore, changing locos at the border is very common for night trains so that means not 1 locomotive is needed suitable for every country on the route.

2: I believe there was a thread on here recently on some Intercité de Nuit services that will be restored. Those routes were not really profitable I think and connected Paris to smaller French cities so I don’t think ÖBB will have interest in operating it.

3: I believe TEE 2.0 is a vision of the German government, so it fully depends on whether they actually are spending money on it and then on which company wins the tender.
also if i am right the proposed Zurich-Barcelona NJ Service will be diverted via the French-Spanish HSL

Austriantrain

Established Member
also if i am right the proposed Zurich-Barcelona NJ Service will be diverted via the French-Spanish HSL

Honestly, apart from a general idea, a Tweet and a diagram, we don‘t know anything about this service yet. It is almost certain to use the cross-border HSL because I don’t think there are Talgo Night sets available anymore and nobody is going to order any for one single train pair, but at the moment, we should just watch and see whether and what is going to happen.

JonathanP

Whilst I agree with the sentiment, "nobody is going to order any for one single train pair" is technically not true :lol:

RZD ordered a 'fleet' of three gauge changing Talgo Sleeper trains in order to operate 2 train pairs a week from Moscow to Berlin.

Austriantrain

Established Member
Whilst I agree with the sentiment, "nobody is going to order any for one single train pair" is technically not true :lol:

RZD ordered a 'fleet' of three gauge changing Talgo Sleeper trains in order to operate 2 train pairs a week from Moscow to Berlin.

Ooops...didn’t think about those:)

popeter45

Honestly, apart from a general idea, a Tweet and a diagram, we don‘t know anything about this service yet. It is almost certain to use the cross-border HSL because I don’t think there are Talgo Night sets available anymore and nobody is going to order any for one single train pair, but at the moment, we should just watch and see whether and what is going to happen.
there's also the question if the Gauge changing kit still exists/in any kind of working order?

ashkeba

Established Member
there's also the question if the Gauge changing kit still exists/in any kind of working order?
https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambio_de_ancho#Cambiadores_de_ancho_en_España suggests it exists but has been unused since 2013:
Portbou (Gerona) Talgo 1969 Operativo sin tráfico desde el 15/12/2013 Cambiador Talgo 273,5
Irún (Guipúzcoa) Talgo 1981 Operativo sin tráfico desde el 15/12/2013 Cambiador Talgo 640,9

Renfe still seem to be installing new ones where the high speed lines meet the old ones so I bet they can be repaired if needed.

MarcVD

You also have the staedler sets ordered by Azerbaïdjan for the weekly pair from Baku to Ankara over the new BTK line.

Austriantrain

Established Member
God knows when they will enter service...

In any case, neither Russian nor Azerbaidjani examples are blueprints for what a SBB/ÖBB-NightJet services will be like. However much these plans come to fruition, new builds are most likely to be based on the new Siemens NJ sets. No point in adding unnecessary fleet complexity, so almost certainly no gauge change at Port Bou. Either they can use the HSL, or there won’t be a service. At least, that’s my prognosis.

Stephen Lee

On Moderation

if I am right 3 MRCE Class 185s are leased to SNCF for the Paris-Moscow Train but I expect there will be more or even its MS relatives subjected to the TEE 2.0 Night Train network

Status
Not open for further replies.