• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Questions for people who have used e-tickets

What do you think of e-tickets ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

philthetube

Established Member
That depends whereabouts in the country you are travelling. Southeastern (by revenue a bigger TOC than LNER) and London Overground (by revenue a bigger TOC than Transpennine) don't issue e tickets at all.
TGSN (the biggest TOC by revenue) have I think 4 barriers out of 20 ish that accept e tickets at Brighton.

However I suspect that Southeastern carry a lower percentage of passengers using orange CCS than most other operators.

The *simplest* would probably be to take the cost of a contactless Zone 1 single off the price of +LONDON/+ANY PERMITTED routed tickets and remove the +, i.e. you pay for the Tube or whatever yourself. As I often like to walk or take a bus instead, and many prefer a taxi, this would allow us to make and pay for our own choices anyway. The convenience aspect of not having to stop off at a TVM isn't there any more.

This would probably be a benefit to TFL as they will only get a small percentage of the Single zone 1 fare from these tickets.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
However I suspect that Southeastern carry a lower percentage of passengers using orange CCS than most other operators.

This would probably be a benefit to TFL as they will only get a small percentage of the Single zone 1 fare from these tickets.
Splitting tickets crossing London would result in less protection for passengers. A to B with a + is counted as a through journey - rather important if it is an advance and you are delayed. A to London, Oyster single, London to B would be seen as separate trips.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Splitting tickets crossing London would result in less protection for passengers. A to B with a + is counted as a through journey - rather important if it is an advance and you are delayed. A to London, Oyster single, London to B would be seen as separate trips.
@Bletchleyite is suggesting a through ticket but not including payment for the underground, which would still be seen as one journey. In any event, use of more than one ticket for a journey is permitted and as long as appropriate connections times are allowed for I can't see a big problem with this. However, I don't see it being seen as an acceptable solution by the rail industry.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
@Bletchleyite is suggesting a through ticket but not including payment for the underground, which would still be seen as one journey. In any event, use of more than one ticket for a journey is permitted and as long as appropriate connections times are allowed for I can't see a big problem with this. However, I don't see it being seen as an acceptable solution by the rail industry.
I thought that journeys with a gap in them didn't count. Official walking routes, yes. Official connections such as '+' or the free cross-Glasgow bus yes, but paying separately - no. Appropriate connection times apply at stations, and for recognised links, but do they apply for random links?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I thought that journeys with a gap in them didn't count. Official walking routes, yes. Official connections such as '+' or the free cross-Glasgow bus yes, but paying separately - no. Appropriate connection times apply at stations, and for recognised links, but do they apply for random links?

Any journey on a through ticket via a Permitted Route counts. Another example might be one via Manchester where you might make your own way from Vic to Picc on the tram or on foot.

alistairlees

Established Member
There are already through tickets that involve a rail leg, then an (unpaid for) leg on another mode of transport, then a rail leg.

Examples are Rochester to Southend via Tilbury ferry (the price of the ferry is not included in the price of the ticket), and (I think) Stockport to Rochdale (the price of metrolink is not included in the ticket).

infobleep

Veteran Member
There are already through tickets that involve a rail leg, then an (unpaid for) leg on another mode of transport, then a rail leg.

Examples are Rochester to Southend via Tilbury ferry (the price of the ferry is not included in the price of the ticket), and (I think) Stockport to Rochdale (the price of metrolink is not included in the ticket).
There are also plenty that don't. Sutton to Haywards Heath. National Rail Enquiries suggested getting the tram between West Croydon and East Croydon and won't provide a through fare, even though one exists if you walk between the two or change at Norwood Junction.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I recently travelled from St Pancras to Clermont Ferrand in France and had to cross Paris to get from Gare du Nord to Bercey. I resent having to pay to cross Paris, especially given that my through ticket was not exactly cheap.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Stockport to Rochdale is route Metrolink CITZ and so is valid on the Metrolink.
Sam

This is. A better example would be Stockport to Todmorden. You can use TPE to get between Piccadilly and Victoria, but this only runs twice an hour (when it does run) so many passengers will pay for the more frequent tram service.

alistairlees

Established Member
This is. A better example would be Stockport to Todmorden. You can use TPE to get between Piccadilly and Victoria, but this only runs twice an hour (when it does run) so many passengers will pay for the more frequent tram service.
Thanks. I didn’t have time to check properly at the time. The general point I was making is that Bletchleyite’s suggestion of through tickets that don’t include the underground is perfectly feasible; analogous examples already exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.