• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Questions for people who have used e-tickets

What do you think of e-tickets ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Here is a poll for people who have actually used e-tickets.

What are e-tickets? basically PDFs that contain an Aztec barcode which can be shown on any device, or you can print them.

What are NOT e-tickets? the old Print@Home tickets, which required a form of ID, m-tickets, which require activation or anything else that doesn't meet the e-ticket standard.

For those of you who have actually used e-tickets, I'd like to know what you think of them?

At first I was sceptical but my view now is that they are great. I usually have two devices on me so I can store it on both devices. If I am making a long journey and am concerned I may run out of power, I can print them, though I don't usually bother to do this.

The only 'problems' I have had is that some barriers have not had the keys to decrypt the e-ticket, resulting in having to be let through the gates manually. However my experience with this has been no worse than with paper tickets, to be honest!

I like being able to wait until the last second before buying a ticket in some cases and I like not having to visit a ticket machine. For example I could be on a train already and decide to extend my journey, and buy the ticket and remain on board without having to get off and end up on the next one.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
They're OK and I will use them if they're e-tickets, don't need activation, don't need to go through barriers and are for simple journeys, in my case Wilmslow-London. Otherwise I'd rather walk to the station (10 minutes) and pick up a real ticket from a machine.

I used e-tickets for my return journey to London this weekend and all was fine.

I printed off the PDF but have previously used an Apple Watch display using the iPhone's Wallet.

I refuse to use m-tickets but that's not what you're asking I know.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I have actually used them on odd occasions for special offers (only printed). I still prefer the trad type.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
An e-ticket is Doesn't have to be a PDF
I'll only be using retailers which issues them as PDFs. Which don't, out of interest? If any are tied to apps then that's got some of the dangers of an m-ticket, surely?

cactustwirly

Established Member
Both Avanti West Coast and WMT issue e-tickets in an e-mail which become m-tickets in the app, which is a cack-handed and silly solution.

But there's also the option of the e-ticket, if you press the barcode tab.
Well it's the case for EMR & XC

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I've used them a few times recently and I'll probably be using them more in future. I prefer them as I don't need to have lots of tickets, espicially if splitting on a longer journey.

ess

I'll only be using retailers which issues them as PDFs. Which don't, out of interest? If any are tied to apps then that's got some of the dangers of an m-ticket, surely?

I'd take this position except that if there's cashback on offer from Quidco etc then I can be persuaded to go for m-tickets

Meole

Perhaps a small charge should be introduced for paper tickets as with shopping bags to encourage the environmental initiative ?

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I've ordered several sets of tickets for travel on various European railways and all have been e-tickets - I like them.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

GWR is the one I know of that shows them as e-tickets in the app but doesn't send a PDF in the email confirmation.

Why it's so hard I have no idea. There is a standard, implement it.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
But there's also the option of the e-ticket, if you press the barcode tab.
Well it's the case for EMR & XC

That's not an e-ticket. M-tickets also have barcodes.

Well, it sort of is. But I found something interesting when refunding one - apparently if you've activated the m-ticket version of the e-ticket in the app you can't have a refund. Another disadvantage to add to the lack of support for overnight break of journey or the multi-day validity of most Anytime tickets.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Perhaps a small charge should be introduced for paper tickets as with shopping bags to encourage the environmental initiative ?

Only when TfL accept them, or else it would be unfair to charge for a paper ticket, where it's the only medium for Travelcards or cross London tickets.

krus_aragon

Established Member
The only e-ticket-like ticket I ever used was a barcode sent by email, but was in the form of an image rather than a pdf. The fact that it was issued by WSMR gives an idea of how long ago it was. (It was very shortly after I joined the forum!)

My phone's battery was nigh-on empty by the end of the day-out, but thankfully I'd had the foresight to send a copy of the image to my partner's phone as a backup. I've never had the desire to use one since.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The only e-ticket-like ticket I ever used was a barcode sent by email, but was in the form of an image rather than a pdf. The fact that it was issued by WSMR gives an idea of how long ago it was. (It was very shortly after I joined the forum!)

My phone's battery was nigh-on empty by the end of the day-out, but thankfully I'd had the foresight to send a copy of the image to my partner's phone as a backup. I've never had the desire to use one since.

I always carry a bag when I travel any distance, and it always has a battery pack in it, which solves that. These days even a USB cable in your pocket would do!

Wilt

I was a bit wary of them at first but now I always get an e-ticket if it is an option - no need to go to the TVM to pick up a paper ticket.

hawk1911

If buying early enough to have them posted to me (at no extra cost) then I will opt for 'credit card' tickets that fit neatly in my wallet next to my railcard.

Equally, for last minute purchases, at my local station, I will purchase 'credit card' tickets from the machines (I will avoid the ticket office as they issue the 'toilet roll' tickets.

For purchases in the last day or two before travelling, I will opt for e-tickets, as this allows me to reserve a (specified) seat. I download the ticket onto my smartphone and print off a backup copy, as well, just in case there is a problem with my phone (not that I have had one yet).

alistairlees

Established Member

That was a long time ago. Wrexham & Shropshire went under in early 2011. It was the first TOC (well, open access operator) to offer all tickets as barcode tickets as they were then called. I don't remember producing them as images though, but will have to see if I have any examples still left. Certainly in 2008 we were sending them as SMS messages to phones as well. No smartphones or apps then!

sheff1

Established Member
I am happy to, and do, use e-tickets in countries such as Sweden where they are implemented in an unambiguous manner.

I avoid them when at all possible in the UK where different TOCs have different interpretations of what an e-ticket actually is and where different employees within a given TOC also seem to have their own interpretations - only a few days ago a XC guard was most insistent that everyone with "an e-ticket" must activate them or pay for a new ticket .....
and, of course, there was that recent thread on here where an e-ticket was rejected by a XC guard because they did not approve of the retailer !

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
No sorry you misunderstand it doesn't just have to be a PDF we also have Apple wallet(PK Pass) versions

To be a proper e-ticket it should be issued as a PDF by e-mail as a basic baseline in order to allow it to be printed if the user wishes. It can be issued in other ways as well (PKPASS, in-app or whatever), though the "pseudo M ticket" thing is rubbish and needs to be packed in. It seems to be TOCs who use Trainline as a retailer that are doing it, which is odd as the actual Trainline app can do e-tickets properly.

In answer to Yorkie's question the only app I've come across that doesn't issue the PDF in the confirmation e-mail is GWR's. LNR and Avanti (and probably others) allow you to download it in the app as a pseudo-M-ticket (which requires activation) but you can choose not to do this.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
No those are m-Tickets by another name

They are and they aren't.

For Avanti and LNR/WMT, you are sent an e-mail with a PDF which is a proper e-ticket. You can then also download it via the app which creates something that looks and acts very much like an m-ticket (requiring activation and barring refund if you do activate it). However, you can still, so far as I know, use the e-mailed PDF if you prefer, I don't *think* (but haven't tried) that downloading it into the app cancels the e-ticket, indeed I think it's the same barcode.

W-on-Sea

Established Member
I've used them in Italy. Possibly elsewhere in Europe too. And I think, back in the day, at home, on the Wrexham & Shropshire Railway too.
In principle I like the idea - and prefer them to TOD (my usual means of purchasing tickets) but have avoided them in the UK for fear of getting an m-ticket instead, which I'd prefer to avoid.

I'll happily use them here when there is no ambiguity about what they are and how they are supplied, and ideally when there is some consistency between train operators in Great Britain on this matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.