• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Questions for people who have used e-tickets

What do you think of e-tickets ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The other issue that needs to be dealt with all the pairs of stations that don't offer e-tickets between them and don't go through TfL areas

Are there any figures as to what percentage of train tickets that can be purchase can be done so as e-tickets? What about the station to station travel. What percentage is covered?

Good point. I can’t think of any reason why e-tickets cannot be offered on all flows that don’t have a cross London connection.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ashkeba

Established Member
Good point. I can’t think of any reason why e-tickets cannot be offered on all flows that don’t have a cross London connection.
Forces you to install the m-ticket-loving TOC's spyware-containing app.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Forces you to install the m-ticket-loving TOC's spyware-containing app.

No it doesn't. Whenever I've used e-tickets it has been a PDF attached to an email. I just open the PDF up on my phone. No app whatsoever.

I will not use tickets that mandate the use of an app which I understand are called m-tickets and which are being phased out.

snail

Established Member
If you've received the email with the e-ticket attached within a minute or so it went through, if you haven't it didn't? Or if you have your bank's app you can check.
If I pay at a TVM, ticket office or online with a card registered for Apple Pay or G Pay I get an immediate notification when the payment processes on my personal Android and work iPhone.

ashkeba

Established Member
No it doesn't. Whenever I've used e-tickets it has been a PDF attached to an email. I just open the PDF up on my phone. No app whatsoever.

I will not use tickets that mandate the use of an app which I understand are called m-tickets and which are being phased out.
Yes, indeed. You askd why e-tickets are not available. It could be because those TOCs want to push their app. I hope you understand correct and they are being phased out.

crablab

It would be nice if support for adding e-tickets to Google Pay was added. I might be inclined to use them then.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Yes that’s the plan. I suspect that this still won’t capture every flow that should be enabled for eTicket, but it’ll be a big step forward.
The number of flows is rather large so things are bound to be missed.

I guess they could always do a publicity drive to ask any passengers who don't find a ticket is avilable as an e-ticket to send a message to insert e-mail address and they will investigate it.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
The number of flows is rather large so things are bound to be missed.

I guess they could always do a publicity drive to ask any passengers who don't find a ticket is avilable as an e-ticket to send a message to insert e-mail address and they will investigate it.
Only last Friday I found some LNER flows that should have been enabled in the last mass enablement weren't updated. So I'll need to sit down this week and check to see what's what.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Only last Friday I found some LNER flows that should have been enabled in the last mass enablement weren't updated. So I'll need to sit down this week and check to see what's what.
Thats understandable given the a lunt of fares data that exists.

I work with lots of data so I know how things can get missed. However I also know its possible to generate queries to find missing data, as I'm sure your well aware to

smsm1

When buying train tickets (advance fares) IPS-EDB out via PBO with a split, and return via London, I found that I could only have Ticket collection at a ticket machine. I suppose it's simpler and less confusing to have the whole order as the same delivery method than having part as ticket machine delivery and other parts e-ticket.

Separately, there are some cross London journeys where you are not using the tube. For example direct through Cambridge to Brighton or Woolwich to Cambridge, where you can use the Thameslink core. In either case it's not possible to use e-tickets - though I have found an example of CBG - Tottenham Hale - (tube) - Victoria- Brighton where the e-tickets appear to be available via the raileasy site. Maybe there should be a cross London but not tube fare, e.g. if you are cycling, have a through National Rail train, walking, or are paying for the tube on contactless etc. Oh wait that makes ticketing yet more complex. Probably simpler for TfL to update all their gates to support e-tickets.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Probably simpler for TfL to update all their gates to support e-tickets.

The *simplest* would probably be to take the cost of a contactless Zone 1 single off the price of +LONDON/+ANY PERMITTED routed tickets and remove the +, i.e. you pay for the Tube or whatever yourself. As I often like to walk or take a bus instead, and many prefer a taxi, this would allow us to make and pay for our own choices anyway. The convenience aspect of not having to stop off at a TVM isn't there any more.

ashkeba

Established Member
The *simplest* would probably be to take the cost of a contactless Zone 1 single off the price of +LONDON/+ANY PERMITTED routed tickets and remove the +, i.e. you pay for the Tube or whatever yourself. As I often like to walk or take a bus instead, and many prefer a taxi, this would allow us to make and pay for our own choices anyway.
As such, Transport for London will surely oppose loss of fees for doing no work that they get in many cases today.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
The *simplest* would probably be to take the cost of a contactless Zone 1 single off the price of +LONDON/+ANY PERMITTED routed tickets and remove the +, i.e. you pay for the Tube or whatever yourself. As I often like to walk or take a bus instead, and many prefer a taxi, this would allow us to make and pay for our own choices anyway. The convenience aspect of not having to stop off at a TVM isn't there any more.
No by far the simplest thing to do is to fit scanners at the main London interchange points. You don't need every station just those that interact with cross London transfers.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
No by far the simplest thing to do is to fit scanners at the main London interchange points. You don't need every station just those that interact with cross London transfers.

I wouldn't say that was the simplest (there are passenger flow implications as barcode scanners are quite slow) but it is the one I favour.

35B

Established Member
And for those of us with outboundary travelcards?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Outboundary Travelcards are an issue. I suspect if they remain at all they will need to be switched to being available on Oyster-compatible smartcards only.

It would be a huge backwards step to get rid of them, as well as huge price increase via the back door.

We should keep through ticketing via the Underground, technology should be better at joining things up not separating things.

35B

Established Member
It would be a huge backwards step to get rid of them, as well as huge price increase via the back door.

We should keep through ticketing via the Underground, technology should be better at joining things up not separating things.
My thoughts entirely. And, yes, I do have a vested interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.