• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Questions regarding a Megabus journey Meadowhall to Inverness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapeltom

Established Member
Hi all

Planning a trip north to Inverness in September, the Megabus from Meadowhall north to Edinburgh leaves at 2am. Is the interchange still open at this hour and is it safe?

And secondly, where does the 2am service to Edinburgh actually originate? Are plug sockets guaranteed? I only ask as the last 2 Megabus services I've taken, admittedly both daytime services from Manchester to London had no sockets nor wi-fi :(

Ta

Tom

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

causton

Established Member
Traveline Southeast* shows the full PDF timetable for Megabus routes, such as this one. Here is an image extract from the PDF showing the full timetable for it (tl;dr: it came from London)
Screen Shot 2014-07-06 at 21.40.27.png

*Despite the name, shows coach details for the whole of the UK. To find a Megabus service choose "Megabus" as the operator and optionally choose a stop as well from this page:
http://www.travelinesoutheast.org.uk/se/XSLT_SELTT_REQUEST?language=en

34D

Established Member
In my view it is safe, though I do not know the opening hours so question whether it will be open or you boarding outside it

Mugby

Established Member
I've used it late at night but not that late. I would agree that it should be safe, you won't see anyone around at that time because no one lives anywhere near.

But how are you planning to be there for 2am? Are you intending to get there by taxi or use the last public services and just hang around? It's a pretty horrible place to spend any length of time!

Blindtraveler

Established Member
In terms of sockets, this is usually a Plaxton Interdeck unless the run is v busy and Duped. Your coach is the from London, the cor Megabus run on the East side up the M1/A1M/A1 is Victoria>Meedowhall>Wakefield>Leeds>Scotch Corner>Newcastle>Edinburgh>Glasgow. This service is almost always on time reaching Edinburgh where it uses the Bus Station. If your on shedule, Coffee Stop does a good cuppa and breakfast roll, your onward connection is 08:30, usually worked by a Plaxton Panther (no sockets; to Halbeath>Kinross>Broxden>Inverness at Mid-day. If you need further help in this area PM me!↲

Harpers Tate

Established Member
According to the SYPTE website, Meadowhall Interchange closes at midnight. That will refer to the buildings - the roadways and shelters cannot be closed. I can't comment on the safety aspect, except that I don't recall ever seeing any report of any incident there.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I caught a 4am trip to London recently - the doors to the main building were locked so there's no access to loos or travel information (especially annoying as you can see the back of the screen displaying it).

They have annoying music playing - presumably to put people off hanging around but irritating if you're waiting for a coach. They go from A1 - something you can't find out when the building is closed.

The only other people I saw in the 20 minutes I was there before the coach came were catching the same coach I was.

Chapeltom

Established Member
Only just come back to this thread renamed :s I really should just stick to original point, as I added the second question on later and forgot to change the title.

I weighed it up but ended up paying £14.85 for an advance from Chapel to Inverness on the Friday which I didn't know I could get at the time and staying in a hostel. Saves a nights sleep and works out about barely any more expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.