• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

t_star2001uk

Last night a colleague asked me some questions and quite frankly i was a bit stumped. Does anybody on here know the answer to these...

1. At which of the following are you likely to find an Np (Nf) marker?
a) At a station
b) At every fifth marker
c) In rear of a junction
d) In tunnels

2. NEQs are relevant to which area of railway operation?
a) Tramways
b) Signal box special instructions
c) Frieght trains
d) ECS working

3. At what speed in Km/h or below do lineside signs apply on a cab signaled line in the UK?
a) 300
b) 230
c) 170
d) 100

Help would be grateful....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
I think an nf marker is placed on a French stop signal (carre) where the driver has to stop and proceed with caution? So could be placed anywhere perhaps?

And I think an NEQ has something to do with a marshalling yard (so freight trains?)

No idea about Q3

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will come along soon and give you a more professional answer

GB

Established Member
Unless I have missed something totally obvious, I don't know what NEQ could mean in relation to freight.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
NEQ could well be "Net Explosive Quantity" in an ammunition consignment.

Also known as Net Explosive Mass in the newest versions of the dangerous goods manual. The NEQ/NEM will have an upper limit per freight wagon and per train, so that in the event of a major incident you won't blow up too much of the locality.

Last edited:

Mintona

Established Member
I believe the top one is every fifth marker, but I've never driven on a cab signalled line so I'm not certain.

The bottom one is 170kph, that one I'm fairly certain of.

flash

1 UK rule says at point of conflict - so before points - no doubt they are also placed before neutral sections and tunnels.

2 No idea

3 170km/h or less for temporary line side signs - obviously permanent signs are repeated in the cab.

warrior33

Seeing this is hilarious. I have the exact same questions and I know why they are being asked.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
NF - is a "stop and stay" signal on the continent - cannot be passed at danger as an auto signal can be (points or crossing ahead)

You are on the trust and co-operation for some of the other questions..

Status
Not open for further replies.