• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Quick q: Reading to Coventry pre-Covid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimini

Established Member
Afternoon all,

Quick question if I may: has the last northbound service from Reading to Coventry always been the ~2115 service, or was there a later one before all the Covid fun and games started?

Cheers,

Jim.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The December 2019 timetable shows a 22.02 Reading-Birmingham on Mon-Fri, 21.45 on Sat and 21.42 on Sun.

gallafent

The December 2019 timetable shows a 22.02 Reading-Birmingham on Mon-Fri, 21.45 on Sat and 21.42 on Sun.
Was that definitely via Coventry though? I think I remember that during the day alternate services bypass Coventry and Birmingham International, instead running through (without stopping) Solihull. Current timetable with only one service per hour, … all of them do seem to go via Coventry. Wouldn't be surprised if later in the evening they all go that way of course, even in the old days.

Was that definitely via Coventry though?
When I saw your message I had, coincidentally, just checked that -- I was fairly sure that I'd already checked it for the weekday service but less sure about the weekends. It turns out that the 21.45 ex-Reading Saturday service was non-stop from Leamington to Birmingham (so the last Reading-Coventry train was the 21.15), but Coventry was indeed served by the last train on Sun-Fri. Apologies for not checking this properly in the first place.

The pattern in December 2019 was that on Mon-Fri the xx.15 (plus or minus a few minutes) from Reading ran via Coventry and the xx.45 (ditto) didn't, but with no 21.45 and the 22.02 behaving as if it was the 22.15; Saturdays had the same basic pattern except that the 20.45, unlike the 21.45, did serve Coventry. On Sundays all trains ran via Coventry -- I don't remember that being the case in earlier timetables, but I don't have copies to check.

Status
Not open for further replies.