• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Quick question about conductor training

Status
Not open for further replies.

titi

Hi, I have been successful on becoming a trainee conductor, one of my modules is on 313 traction do all conductors learn this or will it mean I will be working on the 313 routes only?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sarahj

Established Member
Which company have you applied for?. Once this is known, more help can be given.

sarahj

Established Member
errmm, what can I say. If there are any conductors left they will be working 313's only. You might at the start learn 377's and 442's but anything I can add is up in the air. All I can say is you have joined at an interesting time. Congrats on the job and all that, you will even get to meet me (poor sod!), but just to warn you, your coming into the job at a time you might find difficult. good luck!!!

Last edited:

titi

errmm, what can I say. If there are any conductors left they will be working 313's only. You might at the start learn 377's and 442's but anything I can add is up in the air. All I can say is you have joined at an interesting time. Congrats on the job and all that, you will even get to meet me (poor sod!), but just to warn you, your coming into the job at a time you might find difficult. good luck!!!

As far as I know there will be 3 of us at Brighton and some at Barnham not sure how many just know they were hiring for both.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
This has actually blown my mind. Trainee Guard for Southern?!

Apparently the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing.

I find it hard to believe they'd take on trainees while simultaneously trying to eliminate the grade.

To the OP, if you haven't already done so - join the RMT and head to their website to read up on the current dispute with GTR (Southern). I'm not trying to worry you, just to prepare you for what you're about to head into the middle of.

Good luck, as I think you'll need it!

tony6499

Unbelievable , how can they recruit and train for a job they are getting rid of, unless it is a nefarious plot to take on new staff for remaining Conductors jobs ?

ComUtoR

Established Member
Unbelievable , how can they recruit and train for a job they are getting rid of,

They are downsizing the role. Not getting rid of it. It makes sense to employ new staff as once this whole debacle is over with then you need to allow for staff turnover.

If all the Conductors jobs are taken up and the rest migrated to OBS then you have nobody available for turnover within the Conductor role. You could have an OBS return to Conductor but that would still mean they need to recruit.

IF there is a choice for redundancy or dismissals you are then in a situation where you will potentially have less staff and have vacancies to fill from the outset.

Knowing that there is recruitment for the Conductor role then I think the RMT have some small justification for greater retention of the role. If GTR are recruiting then its clear that there are more positions than stated by GTR and it would be hard to justify any dismissals.

unless it is a nefarious plot to take on new staff for remaining Conductors jobs ?

Normally.... I'd dismiss that comment but I am finding it impossible to trust anything from GTR.

pompeyfan

Established Member
I think we probably applied for the same batch of positions, although I applied for Barnham. I'm so glad I didn't follow it through as the prospect of getting up to Croydon for 9am for an assessment centre put me off.

theironroad

Established Member
I think we probably applied for the same batch of positions, although I applied for Barnham. I'm so glad I didn't follow it through as the prospect of getting up to Croydon for 9am for an assessment centre put me off.

Really!

OK so Pompey to Croydon isn't around the corner, but how do you feel like getting up at 0300 for a 0400 start in the middle of winter to a job a few miles away.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Okay that excuse was a bit of a cop out. It was that plus the fact I couldn't afford to drop down to the training wage. In regards to getting up in the middle of the night, it's something I already do. It's no fun doing first user checks on a bus at 0430 in the middle of winter in the driving freezing rain! Plus the fact I wasn't sure I wanted to work for GTR. I've now applied for and passed initial screening for all local TOCs, and have an interview this week.

titi

Okay that excuse was a bit of a cop out. It was that plus the fact I couldn't afford to drop down to the training wage. In regards to getting up in the middle of the night, it's something I already do. It's no fun doing first user checks on a bus at 0430 in the middle of winter in the driving freezing rain! Plus the fact I wasn't sure I wanted to work for GTR. I've now applied for and passed initial screening for all local TOCs, and have an interview this week.

Good luck on your interview!

If the choices for your assessments were in February then they were for the same jobs

pompeyfan

Established Member
Thank you very much. From what I've seen the caliber of the other candidates is particularly high so I'll need as much luck and well wishing as I can get!

I think the assessment day would have been the 8th or 17th of March.

Status
Not open for further replies.