• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Quickest route to Slough from Bethnal Green, London.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lexxie

Evening all,

This is my first post, please be gentle with me.:)

Does anybody know the quickest/cheapest route from Bethnal Green tube/underground to Slough.

Also, how long the (roughly) the journey would take?

Many thanks,

lexxie. :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Quickest would be Underground to Paddington (various routes) then FGW to Slough (should be around 50-55 minutes). Cheapest would be Underground to Hounslow West then 81 bus to Slough (about 110 minutes).

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Quickest would be Underground to Paddington (various routes) then FGW to Slough (should be around 50-55 minutes). ...
Agreed.

I think, if you're a reasonably fast walker, the quickest route between Paddington & Bethnal Green might actually be to walk between Paddington (national rail) and Lancaster Gate, then direct on the Central Line to Bethnal Green.

I recommend using the TfL journey planner: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/

As you can see, Lancaster Gate - Bethnal Green is 18 minutes every 2-3 minutes. This is a very fast, and frequent, route.

If you do not want to walk half a mile, the least walking option would be to use the footbridge at Paddington and take the Hammersmith & City Line from Paddington to Mile End, then cross-platform to the Central Line Mile End to Bethnal Green. This would take approximately 35 minutes with a potential additional wait of up to 10 minutes at some times, so it could take 45 minutes though it should take less.

A compromise would be to take the Bakerloo Line (more useful than H&C if you arrive at the very front of the train in the main train shed at Paddington ([stn]PAD[/stn]) and/or wishing to use the station facilities on the concourse) to Oxford Circus, then the Central Line. That would take around 30 minutes.

Statto

Established Member
Another way could be Central line Bethnal Green-Ealing Broadway,& change there for the FGW to Slough, not sure how long it'll take though, but might be quicker than messing about changing in Central London

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Another way could be Central line Bethnal Green-Ealing Broadway,& change there for the FGW to Slough, not sure how long it'll take though, but might be quicker than messing about changing in Central London
I've checked with the TfL Journey Planner http://www.tfl.gov.uk/ (which I would recommend; it's easy to use!) and the scheduled journey times between Ealing Broadway ([stn]EAL[/stn]) and Bethnal Green are around 41 minutes, with trains every 7 minutes (less frequent than for the central 'core' section), so take that as 48 minutes, plus the journey time from Slough to EAL...

However, of the 6 trains per hour from Slough to London, the 2 fastest trains do not call at [stn]EAL[/stn] so you would be limited to 4 slower trains per hour. This would increase journey time further.

aleph_0

In fact, one can put Bethnal Green to Slough in the TfL journey planner. This gives the optimal routes for the next hour as:

13:41-14:46 via. Central Line to Ealing Broadway. (Journey Time:01:05)
14:03-15:02 via. Central Line to Lancaster Gate, than Walk to Paddington (Journey Time: 00:59)
14:06-15:14 via. Central Line to Lancaster Gate, than Walk to Paddington (Journey Time: 01:08)
14:09-15:14 via. Central Line, then Bakerloo to Paddington (Journey Time: 01:05)

But they are a bit generous on the walking times. I expect the neatest solution is Central Line to Lancaster Gate/Paddington, but if one knows the timetable, it may sometimes be more convenient to stay on to Ealing Broadway.

Status
Not open for further replies.